It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: camping..
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm 
LOST Addict

i've never really gone camping.. besides in our own woods... so im looking for some advice.

for myself and another person to go camping (somewhere with no bathrooms... running water.. or close to civilization) what is needed.

My idea is to load up the jeep and just go.. i assume i'll need a tent... and lots of water.. but besides that i'm LOST. what do i take or deal with as far as food.. supplies.. wood... tools...wildlife protection or prevention.. inside tent stuff...bathroom?... rain gear... general camping stuff... any advice or a list of what you take camping would be greatly appreciated. This would be a 2 days trip. get there on a friday come home on sunday.

i'm all set as far as jeep stuff.. i'll have my winch,chain,2straps, tree saver, snatchblock, Drings, air compressor, fix-a-flat, tire repair kit, spare tire.

also where do you find nice places to camp...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:50 am 
LOST Addict

What do you have as far as gear? I could list a lot of stuff but would be easier to narrow down if I knew what you had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 am 
LOST Member

Have you ever cooked on an open camp fire before? Like Inc said if you gave us a list of stuff you already have it would be easier. One thing is a must though.... bring a first aid kit. You may not need it but I have been camping many times where I have run in to some body that needed one. Also let some one know where you are going to be and when you are going to be back... just in case.

Frankenlift II Premium (CRD Upgrade)+1 iso, Jeepin by Al 4.5 A arms
16x8 KMC Enduro XDs, 265/75 16 Goodyear Duratracs
Air Flow snorkel

Post subject: Re: camping..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ wrote:
for myself and another person to go camping (somewhere with no bathrooms... running water.. or close to civilization) what is needed.

My idea is to load up the jeep and just go.. i assume i'll need a tent... and lots of water.. but besides that i'm LOST. what do i take or deal with as far as food.. supplies.. wood... tools...wildlife protection or prevention.. inside tent stuff...bathroom?... rain gear... general camping stuff... any advice or a list of what you take camping would be greatly appreciated. This would be a 2 days trip. get there on a friday come home on sunday.

also where do you find nice places to camp...

You should be able to sum up items you need with a little thought from what you wrote in this posting. Think about what you'll need. Common sense goes a long way here.

Now allow me to add the following;
You will need what will make your camping adventure pleasant. Lacking items will often make the experience miserable. Although, it's a learning experience each time you go out.

There is no greater need than having enough water. Bring enough to drink, clean cookware, and yourselves too. The latter can be omitted if your going for only two days. But be prepared to deal with yourself and your camping partner. Especially in close quarters like a tent. Without water carried in, you will need purification like tablets and a pump. Last thing you want is a serious illness from that clean looking stream. Looks are deceiving. Oh yeah, I better mention, buy biodegradable soap (liquid form) from a camping store. Please don't use dish soap or household soaps in the wilderness. Please.

Wood, don't start camp fires unless you know exactly what you're doing. And I don't mean you can simply start a fire. In most cases you need a fire ring or pit to burn a fire. Last thing you want to deal with is any fire that gets out of hand on you.

As for bathroom, dig a hole nowhere close to any stream, river or lake and use that as your bathroom. Keep it far from any water source. As for TP, bring a sturdy trash bag (black Hefty) and place your used TP in the bag. Don't forget the TP. When you leave, TAKE IT WITH YOU. You will find a disposal somewhere along the route home. Don't bury it or worse leave it on the ground. The forest, animals, plants and earth itself will appreciate it.

Sounds like your basically car camping. Bring a stove, fuel (approved for the stove), food, and utensils needed. Think ahead as to what utensils you'll need for cooking and eating and bring those. Camping stores sell food perfect for your adventure. And if you're (or your camping partner) a creative chef, prepare your meals the night before you leave. Then bag each meal in ziplock baggies. Makes it quicker and easier when you sit down to eat. If you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at home, do the same on your trip. At least bring snacks to tide you over between regular or your adventure scheduled meal plan.

Most important, please respect the land. And make it fun. The better you plan a camping trip, the better time you will have. And be careful out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 pm 
LOST Addict

cool.. good information!

as far as gear i already have.. a 4 person tent, lantern, LLbean sleeping bag, tent pads, multi-tool, hatchet (if i need to take it), first aid kit, i thought for food maybe prepare some sandwiches for lunch... some hot dogs or burgers for dinner (i've cooked on an open fire a lot) and some type of cereal or breakfast bar for breakfast along with some snacks. figure i'll pack a decent sized cooler to keep the food in... and take lots of water (a few of those 3 gallon jugs and a pack of bottled. and of course garbage bags. to cook with.. humm.. hot dog cooking sticks (metal ones).. the same type of thing for burgers (for like a grill surface that closes on the burgers) and i could take a hobo pie iron.

also what do i do as far as a fire.. i understand how to start and control one.. but do i bring the wood.. if so how much? or is it easier to bring a small cooking oven or small charcoal grill?

but this is all stuff i've used in back yard camping... what else do i need for the real deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I should have wrote you need to know how to build a fire safely in the back country. Having a fire in the wilderness is not like having a fire in your backyard. Safety and the law are the main issues here.

Leave that hacksaw or wood cutting tool in the KJ for emergencies only. DO NOT CUT LIMBS FROM TREES. This is a major no-no in the wilderness and will get you arrested in a national or state park. If you need wood, you must scourer the area for downed branches and limbs. This is apart of respecting the land as I mentioned before. If you're going to bring in wood, you can buy bundles at most state or national parks. There may also be a place near home?

I recommend you take a stove and skip the fires unless you have permission to burn fires wherever you end up going. By the way, you not only need to respect the land, you also need to respect private property and BLM land not approved for camping. It's not like the old west out there. You can't just camp anywhere. Not legally anyway.

A small (folding type is best) shovel is needed if you're camping in the back country. A headlamp is also a great item to have for when you need to hit the latrine (aka; potty) in the dark.

Waterproof matches and a good firestarter are also items which should be carried in case of a back country emergency. As well as a good first-aid kit.

A weather radio with spare batteries is also a great item to have, especially if you are out of reach with cell phones and car radios.

As someone else wrote, let someone know where you are going and when you are scheduled to return home. Preferably someone who will realize there is a problem if you're not home by the next day. If that happens, as soon as you can establish cell phone contact or land line, call that person and inform them of your current whereabouts and when you should actually be home.

As for more gear, check out THIS LIST. These are the basics which will cover most basics in the back country. Your list may not require all or you may find you need additional items depending on where and when you are going.

The thing anyone should NOT do is think I can do this or that and not worry about it. All to often people who believe this die in the back country every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:25 pm 
LOST Addict

oddball- thank you very much that is just the advice and "THIS LIST" that i was hoping to receive! now... how do you go about finding some nice back country to do this in.. legally.. everything i find online is campground information.. not really what i'm after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:28 pm 
LOST Member

Depending on where you're going, some line and a bag to hold your food, toothpaste, etc. so you can string it up and keep wild animals out of it would be a great idea. Raccoons are relentless and talented. So are chipmunks. Bears, well, if you've got bear activity, I would not lock food up in my Jeep if I expected to get home in it.
Raingear comes in handy camping.
I always keep an extra tarp along, just in case... there's always a use for it.
For cookware, I prefer cast iron, especially for campfire cooking. A Coleman folding table and some folding chairs make life a little better also. The big plastic tub that holds a variety of gear for loading/unloading also doubles as a dishwashing tub.
Flashlight and batteries.
Matches.
Can opener.
Bug repellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

wow... i'm learning a ton... glad i decided to post here... i think it has saved me many many learning experiences. keep the advice coming it's all appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 am 
LOST Member

Since I'm in the Northeast, it's not hard to find water nearby. So I usually boil rather than mess with filters, etc. But a water supply is something to consider. I do not recommend drinking direct untreated water = giardia!
If you do set up near a body of water, you want to be at least a few hundred feet back from the water's edge. 2 reasons for this... most wildneress camping areas have rules against camping right on the water, but more importantly, a lot of wildlife also uses the water, and if you set up camp right in their access point, you're encouraging an encounter that will not make you or the animals happy.
Have fun out there.
Camping with a Jeep is just the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 am 
LOST Junkie

I suggest you go to a state park for the first away from home experience. They have amenities like proper bathroom areas and most have a clean water source. Near you in Jamestown I'd try Alegany State Park just across the border in NY http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkId=91 Doesn't look like there are any PA state parks with camping really close to you.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I wanted to ask if you are going to be tailgate camping or if you're planning to park and hike in any distance. That would change my camping gear drastically. I have a dramatically different packing list for the different types of camping I do: heavy-pack, light-pack, hunting, canoeing, tailgate, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 pm 
LOST Addict

dog_party wrote:
I wanted to ask if you are going to be tailgate camping or if you're planning to park and hike in any distance. That would change my camping gear drastically. I have a dramatically different packing list for the different types of camping I do: heavy-pack, light-pack, hunting, canoeing, tailgate, etc.

i'd like to do tailgate camping... or hike a 'short' distance (maybe 15 mins to the camp site from the jeep in one direction) to be able to make multiple trips to the jeep for gear/supplies.

blue KJ in PA... there is a state park 1 mile from me called Pymatuning State park... they have camp grounds but now where i could find that allowed just camping by yourself somewhere.... unless i'm missing something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:51 am 
LOST Member

Just a heads up, a campground I frequent in Maine has two different sets of campsites: those for the big camper-trailers to pull into and open up, and those for tent campers to use. The tent campers' sites are more secluded, and cannot be accessed (even by Jeep) directly by a vehicle, requiring a short-distance hike with your gear. Even so, it still amounts to tailgate camping.
Agreed with the notion that my gear list changes drastically for backpacking (I don't bring cast iron along!) vs. camping out of the vehicle.
For what you're trying to do, I would recommend calling your local state parks and recreation department and talk with the rangers... they may have a suggestion, or know of something that will come closer to what you want.
There are very few places in the United States where you can just go plop down and set up camp wild west style. Almost everything is regulated in some fashion, including wilderness camping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm 

Tailgate camping packing list is the second longest (second only to RV camping).

I suggest doing a few trips to the Primitive Campsites in the parks near you first. It's a great learning experience to get you prepared. Check (link) local parks and try out a few. Most federal and state parks will have campground maps so you can pick out something isolated before you leave the comfort of your fuzzy slippers. You'll find a site or two that are fun and just far enough away from everyone else to test out your setup.

For first-time tailgate camping, remember...you can't have too much. :D Just take everything (link) INCLUDING THE KITCHEN SINK! Load up is my suggestion. I pack the Jeep to the roof and beyond when I go on try-out trips. When I'm camping, I keep things set aside that I use and bundle up stuff that I don't use. Take a notepad and make notes about things that you take.

Think about what you like doing when you're away from the Playstation and make your over-packing list accordingly.

Do you like cooking? I do. I take a tri-fuel two-burner stove and a (link)campfire grill. On top of that, my cast iron dutch oven, cast iron pans, BBQ and regular kitchen cooking utensils, cleaning gear, etc. I ALWAYS take at least one camping table. Even when there's a picnic table, having your own folding camp table is PRICELESS! Trust me, you won't want any of your food to get close the those picnic tables. Nasty. You might also think about a thick table-cloth (a spare tarp works fine for this too). I also take full-size hard plastic plates and full-size metal eating utensils. I have camping utensil sets, but they really suck compared to the real thing.

Like playing card games? Take at least a couple decks of cards. You'll lose a card or two, so having spares is nice. Oh, and I suggest playing for Cheetos or you'll lose a few of those nice poker chips in the dirt.

Like music? We take guitars, harp, and I even take a make-shift drumset along when we're tailgate camping. Like music, but don't play? Bring a radio or iPod (and speakers).

I take the biggest tent that will fit in the area I'm going to. The park ranger will be able to tell you specific site sizes when you make a reservation. I have 4 tents, so it's easy for me to adjust. If you only have one tent, give it a shot, make notes, and purchase your next tent accordingly.

Tailgate camping = airmattress or cot. I used to just take a tri-fold lawn chair and use it as a cot. Works fine as a cot long as you put something beneath the head part so it won't bend and be resting on the ground when you wake up. Nowadays, it's an air-mattress. Although, I'm now shopping double-bed sized foldaway cots.

I usually do not take wood along with me. Some campsites are beginning to suggest NOT bringing your own firewood as it (according to their signs) "can spread alien species into the local environment." You can get it at the campsite, or you can usually find a nearby farmer who will sell you much better firewood for less than the campsite sells it for.

HEADLAMP. Get one. Get two. PRICELESS!!! Set up a tent once without a headlamp and once with a headlamp. Then you'll go headlamp shopping again to find a better headlamp than you already have. You'll end up like me and have 4 headlamps. You'll also find that the headlamp is one of the first things you pack.

I also always have my lantern and a couple other flashlights too. I have a waterproof Coleman flashlight that converts into lantern that has proven to be very handy. It's also one of the cheapest flashlights I've ever purchased. Expensive does not mean good. Buy something and try it out on a trip. I bought a Gerber flashlight and took it camping. I ended up throwing it away before the first night was over. It wasn't even worth giving to someone.

First aid kit. If you don't already have one, get a pre-built one. This is something that you will never regret having.

And keep in mind; Like a good Jeep, a good camp-site is never "done." It's a dynamic process. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

dog_party wrote:

HEADLAMP. Get one. Get two. PRICELESS!!! Set up a tent once without a headlamp and once with a headlamp. Then you'll go headlamp shopping again to find a better headlamp than you already have. You'll end up like me and have 4 headlamps. You'll also find that the headlamp is one of the first things you pack.
)

Agreed....best piece of camping gear I bought was a headlamp. Makes life a thousand times easier.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

looks like i have some shopping to do.... all this info is great! thanks a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 am 

I thought of something else you need for tailgate camping. A good camp chair. Spend the money on a nicer one, don't just pick up the one in the discount bin at WalMart. Trust me, I made the mistake and you just end up buying another one after a couple camping trips. But you also have to keep in mind, again, that the most expensive thing isn't always the best either. I spent money on a big poofy kicked-back camp chair that had it's own headrest and even an attached footstool. Lasted for a little bit, but there were so many parts that it ended up breaking. As soon as one little part broke, the whole chair was useless.

If you're a sloucher, like me, get something that has a lean to it. Most of them out there have a 90 degree angle between the seat and back. Not the most comfortable in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I can't point you toward any specific product, as I am still shopping for that perfect chair myself. I've been camping for longer than a lot of guys on this board have been alive and I still haven't found the right chair.

I will say that my next tailgate camping chair will most likely be one with sturdier legs than I have purchased in the past. I always went with the one's that fold up into the smallest pouch possible. When they do this, the legs are a convoluted mass of scissor joints and (typically) thin-walled alum poles...

...like this...

BTW, ^^that^^ is what my aforementioned chair with integrated footstool and headrest looked like.

My next tailgate camping chair will probably be something more like the Slumberjack Quad, that has thicker legs on the four corners and doesn't fold down quite as small. I'm not endorsing Slumberjack chairs, it's just one I found in a random search. I'm endorsing the leg construction type.

Anyway, good luck in your new-found life-long purchasing/testing endeavor. Keep an eye out for sales. CampMor has a good clearance section. And you can usually find some stuff marked way down at local places after a particular season has passed. I used to look over at REI.com too, but I've heard some negative things about how they run. Maybe someone else can chime in on details about that. I've never bought from them anyway because CampMor has always had better sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:41 am 
LOST Member

Besides the obvious shelter sleeping gear, etc. you will want a headlamp, knife, tarp. These are really nice to have camping. Chairs are good too but you can always sit on a log. Get a good fire steel, I really like the Light My Fire brand, weighs next to nothing and fits in your pocket. As far as meals, since you are car camping no need to waste money on mediocre (IMO) freeze dried meals like mountain house or anything, just bring a cast iron skillet to cook on in the fire, then you can make anything from burgers and brats to chili or any canned goods. I also have a set of heavy duty camp tongs to retrieve things out of the fire after cooking it. Pudgie pies are also great and can be bought at any camping/hunting/fishing store <-pizza pies = yummy. Water,don't bring bulk water from home in empty milk jugs (freeze some of them first to use as ice in your cooler) I usually bring about 1 gal per 2 days for myself, and some gatorade. I could go on forever so if there are any more specific questions you have please post. -Nate

-Up Next: Lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 am 
LOST Junkie

Chair-wise you might want to get one that has u shaped legs rather than 4 legs as the u shaped tend not to sink into soft ground liek the 4-leggers.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks