It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Depending on where I am, I have two GCI Wilderness recliner's and they are excellent chairs. The legs system is u-shaped and strong. Aside from those, I also have a couple of Crazy Creek Longback chairs (these have no legs and are typically used for backpacking.) Obviously if you find them comfy, you can use them anywhere, anytime.

As for REI, I've been shopping there for many years and would recommend them to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:56 am 
LOST Member

Walmart for your folding chair needs. I have a huge lounger thing I got on sale, great for napping in the sun!
Headlamp can also be worn around your neck... since sundown can sometimes catch you offguard in the woods, I usually put mine around my neck around 2 hours before twilight. As long as you're not performing any skills tasks, it works great from that position, and can be slipped up to your noggin for "real" work.
Cast iron skillets can be had used and easily rehabilitated. I grabbed one for $0.50 at a yard sale. Flea markets are another great choice.
I am 45 days away from an annual camping trip to Acadia. All this 'camp talk' is making me excited to get out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:54 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

tomsjeep wrote:
Cast iron skillets can be had used and easily rehabilitated. I grabbed one for $0.50 at a yard sale. Flea markets are another great choice.

My buddy's neighbor threw out a rusted cast iron 16" skillet when she moved. Looked like it hadn't been seasoned in 20 years. We pulled it out of the left-over pile, scrubbed it down, and now he uses it all the time. They are SUPER easy to "refurb" and can't be beat for cooking on.

tomsjeep wrote:
I am 45 days away from an annual camping trip to Acadia. All this 'camp talk' is making me excited to get out there!

Me too!! Come on Memorial Day weekend!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:18 pm 
LOST Member

dog_party wrote:
tomsjeep wrote:

Exactly!
I can hardly wait (except for the blackflies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pymatuning State Park has a LOT of SKUNKS! Don't leave anything out that smells of food or you will have a real fun time! If your setting around a fire at night and they come in just set real still and they will look around and leave without raising a stink about you being there. Yes, the pun was intended! I had one walk right under my chair! I didn't move but I sure did sweat a lot!! At least I don't think you will have any bears to worry about.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
Pymatuning State Park has a LOT of SKUNKS! Don't leave anything out that smells of food or you will have a real fun time! If your setting around a fire at night and they come in just set real still and they will look around and leave without raising a stink about you being there. Yes, the pun was intended! I had one walk right under my chair! I didn't move but I sure did sweat a lot!! At least I don't think you will have any bears to worry about.

Terry

that's the truth! hahaha.. we have some skunks here but not that many.. i live at the bottom of the lake about 2 miles from the park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got skunked when I was campin in the appalachians for 4 weeks

one of the rangers brought me a quart of orange hand cleaner and a box of baking soda

most of it stayed on my clothes but it took a bit of a scrub to get it off my arm and hands :lol:

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 am 
LOST Member

Ah yes, skunks. I'd rather have a bear show up than a skunk... not much you can do.
I actually led a trip of about 24 people camping on an island in Boston Harbor... sounds idyllic, right? Woke up in the middle of the night to noise outside my tent... sat up, looked out through the tent screen to see our tentsite was filled by a sea of black and white striped tails. Apparently Grape Island is close enough that skunks can swim over, breed, thrive, etc. No food in the tent, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, you could have company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tomsjeep wrote:
dog_party wrote:
tomsjeep wrote:

Exactly!
I can hardly wait (except for the blackflies).

I too am really looking forward to Memorial Day weekend! I'll be boating off the coast of Door County, Wisconsin. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

No camping without a firearm equal to or greater than .223, at least that's MY rule. Colorado is home to cougars and bears, 'nuff said! Not to mention those two-legged predators...

I would also make sure to always bring a good knife, more than one source of fire, extra tarps to put over and under whatever you're sleeping in/on, and sunscreen. Pipe tobacco is always tasty, too.