It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Anyone else into hunting? What do you hunt? Good stories? Bad stories? What are you going to hunt this year?

I grew up hunting deer, squirrel, and rabbit (for food, never have been into trophy hunting). Unfortunately, I now live in an area that those three animals are not overly abundant (the bucks around here are about the size of Great Danes...sad).

So I'm going to be learning to hunt ducks and geese. Never done it before. Heck, I haven't hunted with a shotgun since that one time I found that squirrel hunting with a shotgun is no challenge at all (I got three with one shot).

I know, some people would say that's a good thing. I personally prefer to hunt squirrel with my .22 single-shot air rifle. Much more challenging and enjoyable to me.

I might also have to make a trip into the woods to go deer hunting again this year. I haven't done it since I moved to the Beach in 02 and I'm feeling the itch again.

What do y'all hunt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

used to do raccoon back in the day

used to bow stalk deer

and used to hunt turkey

haven't hunted anything for kill in years, been shootin a couple times with a camera, kinda got more into watchin than eatin over the past few years

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I used to hunt deer every year and personally shot 6 bucks over the years. Have been on many hunts when I drove deer to my buddies though. Never saw the deer but they got them. We always split up the meat. Now I do my hunting at the supermarket.

There's a lot of mountains up here. One time we shot a relly nice ten point buck up in the mountains just before sundown. I gutted him and we started to drag him out with each of us grabbing an antler. A blizzard from out of nowhere hit the mountain. We couldn't see 3 feet in front of us and a foot of snow had come down and it was dark. It was bad. We discussed leaving the deer but no way. It was mine (ours) and I had already gutted it. It took us almost all night to get off the mountain with that deer and back to the truck. If it was not for my compass we would still be up there.

Sometimes I would climb up this very large old pine tree in back of the property where I built a permenant stand up in the tree. One night before dinner I decided to go sit up there for an hour or so until it got dark. Along came a squirrel and he was in the tree next to me and when he saw me he started screeching real loud and he wouldn't shut up or leave. Finally I had enough, and shot him with my winchester 94. A head shot from about 15 feet and so there was not much left of him. The only critter I ever shot in anger with no intention to eat. (the noise was unbearable plus he blew my cover). It was starting to get dark anyway, so I figured I was done. I started to walk back to the house and decided to cut across a swamp since it was frozen over and about half way back I heard a noise in the brush. I had spooked a deer and he crashed through the brush beside me and startled me really good. It happened so fast and he was gone before I could even raise my winchester and I stepped through the ice up to my knee and filled my boot with ice water. I was close to the house so I kept going until I was back there. I had jeans on (not good) so they froze solid up to my knee. (not good) Took me about a hour sitting in front of the wood stove to warm up and feel normal again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:59 am 
LOST Member

Ofcorse I´m hunting, otherwise I wouldn´t be alive.
I´ve been hunting whith my father sinse I was 5 years old.

I hunt moose,

kronhjort,

dovhjort,

rådjur,

wildboar,

hare,

fox,

badgers,

and lodjur.

Sorry, I dont know the english word for some of the animal.

I use booth rifle, shotgun and camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I quit hunting deer for kill when a very good friend of mine retired and was getting his limits every year. I basically take whatever deer meat and jerky he can't fit in his freezer. Which usually fills up my freezer :lol:

I've been wanting to try one of those dehydrator machines to make jerky and see if it's any good

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

That's a nice selection of game jeepetorp! Wow! I wish I had that much near me to hunt! There are bigger game chances in the water around me than on the land! I'm seriously considering getting into spear-fishing/diving this year though. Might be interesting.

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
I've been wanting to try one of those dehydrator machines to make jerky and see if it's any good

It's REALLY good. Get one and try it. You'll be happy you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:50 pm 
LOST Member

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:

WalMart.
Works great, with a little practice you'll be in business.
I quit doing jerky because it was so much better than the store-bought that I was eating it faster than I could manufacture it.