It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L.L. Bean Products
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 am 
LOST Junkie

Do any of you use L.L. Bean Products when camping?
http://www.llbean.com

One time I happened to share a camping site beside a river with a couple that were travelling via canoe, a fishing trip. In only two canoes they managed to pack a tent, sleeping gear, a picnic tent, food, cooking utensils and of course fishing equipment. Most of thier stuff was from L.L. Bean, I'm expecting it was lightweigt and easy to pack
Over an open fire they were able to prepare a steak & potatoe dinner (guess the fishing wasn't that good :D ) complete with a cake for desert.

I'm afraid I'm not that adventurous, I like to camp near a Dennys :lol:

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

REI, Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_)...LLbean tends to be more pricy in my experience...I also like the Coleman Outlet store that happens to be nearby.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Blue KJ in PA wrote:
REI, Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_)...LLbean tends to be more pricy in my experience...I also like the Coleman Outlet store that happens to be nearby.

Wheres the coleman outlet? In the Lancaster outlets? :shock: :D

Lost#095309
KJ-Lifted, skidded,31's,MT sidebiters
TJ- 33's 4" lift
ZJ-4"on 33's-SOLD
YJ-New toy-Bone stock!
PA JEEPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yeah, Camp Coleman is in Lancaster's Rockvale outlets in the section where QVC is located.

Edit: :oops: Well that is where Camp Coleman was located...I have not been there in a few months and an in a search of the Rockvale site and then the Coleman site it appears that store may no longer exist... :(

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:37 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

LL Bean is overpriced. Stick to Campmor (REI has been reported to have questionable business practices). Most of my camping/canoeing stuff came from Campmor's clearance section. They put stuff in there when it's last year's model, or last year's color, or discontinued.

We load 3 days worth of camping gear in our canoes twice a year and spend a long weekend on the river (no organized campsites). We eat like kings too! It's amazing what you can get into a canoe! Check out my Loading Jeep for 3-day canoe trip thread to see all the stuff we get into our white-water canoe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Never bought anything from LL Bean. I too now purchase my gear from REI. Although at one time in the Chicago area there was a outdoor gear retailer called Erewhon Mountain Outfitters. They only sold the best (and yes expensive) gear. I miss them.

Last edited by oddball on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:33 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

oddball wrote:
Never bought anything from LL Bean. I too now purchase my gear from REI. Although at one time in the Chicago area there was a outdoor gear retailer called Erewhon Mountain Outfitters. They only sold the best (and yes expensive) gear. I miss them.

EREHWON still is here, one in Deer Park in Killdeer about 10 minutes from me. And one is Highland Park off of 22.

NOWHERE spelled backwards remember ;)

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 pm 
LOST Member

LLBean is a great store to go in... I visit their outlets up in NH & ME and come away with some real steals sometimes. And the main store in Freeport is open 24/365... there's not even a lock on the door!
Campmor is also a good resource.
It all depends on what I need for where I go shop for it... funny anyone that shops at REI would think LLBean was expensive!

Outdoor gear can be hit or miss. My last purchase was a large Sierra Designs tent... not cheap, but good against a serious storm that would take a Coleman tent apart (don't ask how I know this...). Some inexpensive gear is really hard-wearing and reliable, some not. You just have to use your head (and eyes).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

tomsjeep wrote:
It all depends on what I need for where I go shop for it... funny anyone that shops at REI would think LLBean was expensive!

I agree. I've been an REI shopper for years and have just started considering LL Bean for more purchases due to their reasonable prices and free shipping (key up here in AK). I just purchased LL Bean's classic boot and it is great! Based on that product and their comparable prices I always check LL Bean prior to dropping money at REI.

2007 Jeep Liberty 3.7 L

Post subject: Re: L.L. Bean Products
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

One essential thing for me when camping in the cold is my pair of LL Bean flannel lined jeans. A. Must. Have.

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 am 
LOST Member

Love BEAN stuff. I only just this past summer replaced my 2 person BEAN backpacking tent after nearly 15 years of use! I let the kids use it for fair weather backyard camping. Really, if I only took the time to retape and seal the seams, it would still be trail worthy. I've gotten my money out of it a LONG time ago. Cost and expense dissapears with quality product and care of. I do also shop REI, Campor, Cabella's, Gander Mtn., etc. All depends what I'm after and how soon I need it.

Happy trails and :CAMPING:

Dave
Troy, OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LibertyFever wrote:
Do any of you use L.L. Bean Products when camping?
http://www.llbean.com

One time I happened to share a camping site beside a river with a couple that were travelling via canoe, a fishing trip. In only two canoes they managed to pack a tent, sleeping gear, a picnic tent, food, cooking utensils and of course fishing equipment. Most of thier stuff was from L.L. Bean, I'm expecting it was lightweigt and easy to pack
Over an open fire they were able to prepare a steak & potatoe dinner (guess the fishing wasn't that good :D ) complete with a cake for desert.

I'm afraid I'm not that adventurous, I like to camp near a Dennys :lol:

LL Bean, awesome. Great items, average price... no better return policy ANYWHERE. I am a proponent of shopping around but if Bean has and its reasonably price, yah cant go wrong.

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...