It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 200!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:49 am 
LOST Member

We've been caching since March 2005 and hit find #200 on new year's eve. We're aiming for another 200 this year. The cool thing is that we've finally made "the list".

We cache under the same name we use on this forum.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:00 am 
LOST Member

Grats... Do you use the 60CS for road trips as well? I was looking at one for a nice road/trail GPS. I assume it can use both the topo and road maps.

L.O.S.T Midwest #058429

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Congrats! Happy caching!

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

we use our Garmin 60 CS for everything. it can run topo maps but we don't use them. we usually look at everything ahead of time with Quakemap (free) and Google Earth (also free) to get an idea of where we're going. we have Map Source City Select loaded on the GPS for maps. it's pretty good. every once in a while we find something that has changed but nothing that's impossible. the Garmin does some funny routing sometimes and if you know where you are you can just go the way you want and it'll recalculate. the Map Source program does have a lot of marked trails on it too. when we went to big bear for offroading it had every trail we took on there.

as far as using it for driving, i find that it works better if you have 2 people only because for me it seems to beep too early to tell you to turn and i've had to make more than a few u-turns because i've turned too early, but if you have a passenger they can read it and tell you what's going on. it also does step by step text instructions too just telling you what streets to turn left and right on and that helps to read those ahead of time instead of just blindly following the map.

i do like the Garmin and feel it's a good all around GPS. if you want something that speaks to you and tell you when to turn get one of those TomToms or the fancy new Garmin ones but if you want one for in your car and out and only want to buy one thing, the Garmin 60cs is great. the best part about the CS is the compass that works even when you're not moving it's very helpful when hiking and caching.

i have heard that hertz car rental sells the used GPS's out of their rental cars and know someone who bought one. it's great on the pavement but useless on the trails.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject: 100 !!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Grabbed 100 caches in a light half week in the Palm Springs area. Got the $100 prize in Rockhouse cache, up the sandy Fargo Cyn wash. Drove the 65 mile Bradshaw Trail for 25 caches in about 5 hours. The weather was just beautiful that week. Went with a Legend CS loaded with 500 waypoints; had a cache map on laptop, but the N-Route serial connection to older eTrex GPS wasn't working for real time tracking on the laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:42 pm 
Master of the Blender

LuckeyDuckey wrote:
as far as using it for driving, i find that it works better if you have 2 people only because for me it seems to beep too early to tell you to turn and i've had to make more than a few u-turns because i've turned too early.

I agree that the Garmins tend to alert early when you are following a route, but I have determined that it gives you about 1 minute warning based on ground speed, then another warning when you are about 15-20 seconds away from the turn and usually wait for the second alert. It would be nice to be able to adjust the alert times to suit personal preference.

Congrats on 200! I still have about 30 to go to hit that number. Sometime in the next month or so I figure.

L.O.S.T. #KB051963