It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie Interested in Info
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:05 pm 
LOST Member

Hello:

I wasnt really sure what this section was (or what caching was) but I checked it out and did a little research and now I'm interested!

Anyhow, could someone give me the basics on how to get started on tracking caches? Looking quick, I was thinking of the Garmin eTrex but I didnt know if this is a good starting point. I dont want anything real expensive until I find out how much time I can dedicate to this or if I truely like it but I would like a good beginer/intermediate unit that is easy to use (what additional stuff would I need also).

Thanks in advance!

245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I currently have an eTrex Legend that's my fathers, and like it. But since I've been caching and now the trails more, I find that I'm looking into something more like the 60CS. Any of the eTrex GPSr's are a good starting point, although the very basic one (i think it has yellow trim) I would stay away from, as it doesn't IMO give the user enough information. I would also stick with Garmin, and have heard people say that the Magellan ones aren't as accurate in heavy tree cover as the Garmin's are.....just my $0.02 YMMV...

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I too currently have an eTrex Legend that I received for Christmas.
It came bundled with a case, serial interface cable (for down loading), a holder for installation on the dash board, and Map Sorce Topo sofware.
Not sure what the cost was since it was a gift. I've been out a few times since Christmas and have logged 4 finds and 1 not found. Good excuse to out and hike around with my dog.
Used one of the eTex yellow models that Guyute1210 was refering to for the first time at Camp Jeep. Its not all that bad, but like Guyute1210 states the Legend does provide the user with more info; that and the fact you can down load Topo maps and Street Maps to it. IMO I perfer the eTex Legend over the yellow basic eTex. It's a good entry level GPS for geocaching. and my ncurrent needs. You might want to check out the web site www.geocaching.com for more info on how to buy and what to look for in a GPS unit.
Good Luck and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:23 pm 
Master of the Blender

Another person who has also used a Legend - I currently have a Garmin V for my primary, and a friend just gave me a Lowrance I-Finder Go for Christmas which I haven't had much time to fool around with (not to mention that my V would get all snitty with me 8) ). As far as the Magellan vs Garmin issue, the eTrex series have rectangular patch antennas where the SportTrak series have quad-filiment antennas (the Map60 series also have the quad-filament antennas). The quads tend to behave better under heavy foliage since you have more antenna elements to pick up a signal. I originally purchased a SportTrak but returned it for the Legend since it came with the extras and it was a bit better fit in the hand.

If you want ot get into caching it is a good idea to get a unit with a data cable (or purchase one for the unit). Being able to upload the .loc or .gpx files to the GPSr is a lot easier than trying to manually enter them - after about the third or fourth one you'll understand. For more info you can check either geocaching.com or navicache.com. And be ready to do some searching. The smallest cache I have found was the size of an eraser off a standard #2 pencil; it was magnetic and stuck into the corner of a metal park bench.

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

yet another legend owner. mine is the older one-non color screen and only 8mb of memory. i have used it jeeping, hiking, snowshoeing, on my motorcycle, mountain biking, and even to set up a land nav course in the army.

i love it and cant imagine being without one. going back to map and compass would totally suck. having the garmin software to accompany the gps unit really makes it a useful tool.

map out your desired route, load it into the gps, go wheeling, hiking, whatever and then make your route more accurate by adding waypoints and adjusting your route to match up with the tracks. before i lost them to a reformat of my pc i had about 30 jeep trails and a bunch of mtb and hiking trails mapped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:30 pm 
LOST Member

i think a basic etrex is good for beginners but we skipped the beginning stage and got a garmin 60cs. the best part is that the compass works while standing still. it also has a nice big color screen and lots of buttons instead of a few multifunction ones. the arguement i've heard against magellen is that they're not tough like the garmin and can't take a tumble.

i love travel bugs, that's one of my favorite things--when you open a cache and find that silver dog tag attached to a trinket.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:25 am 
LOST Member

Thanks everyone!

I checked out the garmin and geocache site (signed up for this one) and got a little more information. I think I might go with the Legend instead of the basic yellow one. I would like to have one that is a handheld but can still be mounted on the dash and used in the Jeep if I wanted to. I figure something like this would be good for a while so I can see how I like it and what options/bells and whistles I like or want when it comes time to upgrade.

Does it get expensive buying all the software for it? I think I saw that the Legend bundle package comes with North/South America Topo Map software or something but would I have to buy a bunch of other software to use it for a handheld/dash board GPS?

245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:38 pm 
LOST Member

i have the older version of the software, but i think the basics are all the same

i have 3 different editions of the mapsource software...

waterways and lights - extra infor on rivers/lakes/oceans/etc
metroguide - restaurants/fodd places/hospitals/etc
roads and recreation - trails/mountain peaks/etc

they are all for north america and the interface to transfer the data to and from the gps unit is all built in. i know they made some changes to the software design and you can even load topo stuff, but the transfer software is still built in.

brings up a good point, all the maps/waypoints/routes/tracks/etc can really fill up memory space quick. my legend only has 8mb of memory and i can fill it pretty easily (especially with the metroguide stuff, which is why i rarely use it). luckily the roads and rec maps are pretty small so i can load quite a few areas. i would suggest getting a unit with at least 24mb of memory

as for the compass thing, i wouldnt buy an upgraded unit just for that. while it is true that the directional compass on mine doesnt accurately reflect north if i stop completely, a single step in any direction and the display will update to accurately reflect north