It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silva Ranger compass question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

Hi, back in June I LOST my Silva Ranger compass. I had owned it for years and it was a good quality, accurate compass with great features. I am looking into replacing it and have read several places that the newer Silva Rangers are made poorly and aren't accurate. I have also read where the quality of late is better. Help! Can someone who is experienced in this area give me some good advice on what to buy? Thanks. Towstrap

L.O.S.T. OHIO!

Old enough to know better,
Young enough to try!

Post subject: Re: Silva Ranger compass question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:46 am 
LOST Junkie

I don't know if anyone has got back to you on this, as I've only just found the post, but I had to buy a new Ranger 15T a couple of months ago, as my old one got damaged. The new one has a slightly different style, but does'nt seem to be of lower quality or accuracy than its' predecessor, and I have no hesitation in recommending it (based on the one I have obviously :D ). The only thing I would say, is that the instructions are worse! With the original (bought about 20+ years ago), the instruction leaflet was basically a little book on compass use - excellent! The new instructions are a little more sparse!

An alternative is the Recta DP6. I always carry 2 compasses while out in the rough (I'm paranoid like that), and I've found the Recta to be excellent as well.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

Hi Lancer, thanks for your reply. I read on a few boards a lot of conflicting information on the newer Silva Rangers. I hope to receive a new one for Christmas. I have a Garmin 60 CSx, but I always have the compass for back-up. Thanks, and Happy Holidays. Towstrap

L.O.S.T. OHIO!

Young enough to try!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

You're welcome :D Happy holidays (we say happy christmas over here) and very best wishes for a prosperous New Year.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:22 am 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

I'm glad there is no one in OHIO..... Like an Archaeologist... Who has used every compass EVER! That you could have asked ..... :P :goink:

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:03 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

how do u even use a compass like that haha

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

STINGN wrote:
how do u even use a compass like that haha

Personally - with enormous flair and style :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have 2 bruntons, a 15T and a 8099
I've got a kasper somewhere too but not sure where

and of course ive got a handfull of marching compasses which are probably lensatics

i had a suunto, and it was such a pain to hold level and get an accurate reading that i hung it on a tree as a present for the lucky or unlucky hiker that found it

the bruntons are nice

no experience with the silva's though

i'm not an archeologist, i'm just a jarhead that can read a map and actually get where they're intending to go ;)

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 am 
LOST Member

Just as a follow up, I got a new Silva Ranger 515 CL for Christmas. It wasn't like my old Silva Ranger that I had for years. I had put it in the "glove box" of my '05 Liberty and took it out just before a big off road trip. The "capsule" that contains the needle which is damped by some liquid was half empty! I sent it back to Johnson Outdoors for a warranty repair/replace. In the mean time I picked up a Cammenga 3-H Lensatic compass with Tritium indicators from "Cheaper Than Dirt". This will probably become my "Go to" compass with what I get back being a back up. I am on a mounted search team and a compass is critical (no, I am not a horse person, I do comm. (communications) and organize the walking team (that is always an interesting assignment, go where the horses won't). I'm sure that there will be more to come. I am also looking at a Brunton 15-TDCL and a Suunto MC-2G as replacements for the Silva Ranger. Jim

L.O.S.T. OHIO!

Young enough to try!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

Really sorry to hear that. Good luck with the alternatives. The Brunton looks like good kit.