It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oregon 450 GPS.....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

kinda excited about latest order of this model..... compared the bejesus outa all I could paw over and read about..... seems fairly nice... anybody have any input?... I did not order the topo maps yet... gonna check out the preloaded data first.... found it online at sears... like $340 US.... seems like a fairly decent find...( and if ya found it for $12.50.... please don't tell me about it... well... maybe...cause then I can kick myself....) 8) I hate missing out on a really good deal... hoping to try this geocaching.....even if only a little..... and hunting.... maybe a little 4-wheelin.......NOT!... there will be loads of MORE wheelin if that baby works as advertised! sounds like it will do roads and routing with the appropiate chip... or topographic displays too.....( supposed to have an intense 3D capabilities for topo's... a huge memory 850 megs "its in the mail"... gotta wait till like the 2nd or 3rd of july..... anyone have any experiance with this unit?

Post subject: Re: Oregon 450 GPS.....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

just got it.... tonight...so far very happy with it, put 1 hr 46 mins worth of trail ridin on it... avg speed 16+mph, used 13% of memory.... and have a detailed map of our trail system to boot..... so far really like the ability to change speed of marking from slow to fast... helps to define the trails curves and such yet not record too much road in between trail systems..... I could have even turned it off between trails.... but really wanted the detail of how close the 2 trails were... maybe find a shorter route to connect them... more to follow as play time increases....I believe it does need a road map prgm (is a seperate purchase)... loaded a few local geocache and hit GO... came back with no coresponding roads in map message.... it does have basic roads/highways/waterways preloaded to start with... will prob get the topo first.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm 
LOST Member

GPS are teh fun. :pepper:

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

O.k.... follow up... basic 450 has no serious maps... basic maps...definately means basic.... we were in michigans beautiful trail infested Upper peninsula this past weekend.... gps showed our location to be in lake superior.... though it was raining quite heavily at the time... I know we were never actually in the lake. :lol: (at least 100 yards away in fact)... road travel had us pictured on the roads and was actually very acurate for upcomming highway junctions... the go to/arrival function actually chimed about 300 yards prior to entering Newberry MI city limits. It does have basic roadways,main highways,rough graphed lakes and streams.... it was imensely helpful in finding and storeing gads of waypoints... we were researching a upcomming hunting/camping trip this fall... though I really like it so far,( the 450 t with topo maps would be more equipped to start with, but it was an extra 100 bucks, the price of the topo maps chip..) it does require maneuvering through the touch screens to save waypoints and return to the map if you are really "using" the screen to retrace your route or navigate thru unfamiliar terrain... I do not recomend this when driving at higher speeds, but on the trail it was easy enough ... I am looking into getting the dash mounting system and automotive power supply adapter to conserve on batteries and get it up into a more visible location. the topo maps will be on my wish list also.... though it was comical the idea of being in lake superior... we were actually on CoastGuard "road".... east of muskelunge lake... and I favor more accuracy... more to follow?