It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camping in N. WI, U.P. of Michigan, and NE MN.?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:04 pm 
LOST Member

Hey,
So how many of you could give some advice on places to go and see with a 2 year old in the locations listed in the subject. We're planning a family vacation road trip/ camping style (some off-road, some on highway) driving focusing on primarily outdoors activities. We're planning on a visit to the Porcupine Mts, Keeweenaw Peninsula, possibly Pictured Rocks, and I've spent some time on U.P. Overland to look for some mild off highway driving along the way. We are planning on either ending or starting the trip with the Nicolet Ntl Forest LOST event. Ideally I want to hit the North Shore of Superior as well, but I'm not sure we'll have the time. We are planning about a week total.

Any other ideas or thoughts on definite places to go, or not go with a 2 (almost 3 year old) by that time?

Greatly appreciate the thoughts.

Oh, and I have my eye on a golf cart trailer (not the aluminum ones) that is steel/ wood that I'm thinking about modifying to use as an "expedition" type trailer. Drop the axle, similar size tires to the JEEP so I have a couple extra spares and room for the bikes, canoe/ kayak, and larger camping supplies since the dogs will take up some space inside the JEEP.

Any advice on the trailer would be appreciated as well. I'm not sure it is worth it to modify it, but a true off-road trailer like an M416 or similar is NOT in the budget. I'm going to be stretching it just to make sure I have recovery and armor covered by this trip.

Thanks again!

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

Post subject: Re: Camping in N. WI, U.P. of Michigan, and NE MN.?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am 
LOST Member

I've been doing a lot of research over on http://www.upoverland.org/

Lot's of great info there on traveling the UP.

After a lot of thought I think we're going to focus on Copper Mt./ Porcupine Mt./ and Pictured Rocks. Then have a day (if I get the funds to get some self recovery gear installed prior) of some logging road, mild expedition travel on the many routes available in the UP. This last part is still in development.

We are planning on meeting up with the LOST group going to Nicolet Ntl. Forest as well.

I'm still open to any ideas though if anyone on here has any about those areas?

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

Post subject: Re: Camping in N. WI, U.P. of Michigan, and NE MN.?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Drummond Island, Haven't been yet, I had plans to go there last year but plans changed. Off roading, camping, fishing (in the great lakes), Kayiking if you dare. Looks like fun. Jeep has had a number of events on the island.

http://www.drummondislandchamber.com/