It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:00 pm 
Admin

MzLiberty02 wrote:
Well this is a recipe I concocted because I was a single mom of 5 (4 boys 1 girl) and we loved to go camping. So I had to find something that was quick simple and inexpensive. So here is what I did ....

Before you leave home take...
1 large can or 3 small cans of Pork and Beans (any brand and/or flavor tho I think Busch beans are best now)
3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 tablespoon mustard
1/2 cup of ketchup
Mix together in a bowl with lid so that you can transport it safely.

Then ...
1 pound of hamburger
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper chopped

brown hamburger with onion and green pepper, drain and put in a seperate bowl with lid.

(You can mix the beans and hamburger together to transport, but I found that seperating them then mixing when you are ready to eat tastes much better.)

When you are ready to eat ... Mix them in a pan (cast iron preferred) Heat the hamburger first then add the beans.

You can heat these on a manifold if you like =)

These are awesome poured over bread or bisquits or just in a bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:00 pm 
Admin

Pizza Subs:

Tokyojoe wrote:
Sounds big city league but should work great for compactness.

How many of you have heard of or have had pizza subs before? More known in the Eastern US, especially Ohio.

Tastes different from a pizza but has all the same ingredients.

Ingredients:

1. Sub Roll
2. Pepperoni slices (lots)
3. Grated Mozzarella cheese
4. Pizza sauce
5. Any other ingredients you like
6. Aluminum foil

I just prefer pepperoni so this will be made only with that.

A. Slice your Sub roll (if it doesn't come sliced - like a sandwich bun)
B. spread a lot ( I do mean a lot) of pizza sauce on the inside of the roll (it will soak in during cooking) tops and bottoms of the roll
C. Layer the pepperoni slices all over the top and bottom parts of the roll (I use about 20 slices)
D. Spread the cheese thickly on top of the pepperoni's bottom side of the roll. Not the top (makes a mess)
E. Fold the top down onto the bottom
F. Wrap in foil
Here's the part that is experimental (sine I have never done this on a fire before)
G. Place foil-wrapped pizza sub on top of grill/grates for 7-10 minutes then flip it over and do the same for the other side
H. Let cool for 5 minutes then unwrapped foil
*CAUTION* cheese will be sticking to foil
I. EAT IT! *WARNING* May be too hot for some to eat right away

For home version:

G. Set oven to 430 degrees
H. Place on pizza pan or oven rack (set in middle)
I. Bake for 15 minutes
J. Let cool for 5 minutes then unwrapped foil
*CAUTION* cheese will be sticking to foil
K. EAT IT! *WARNING* May be too hot for some to eat right away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:03 pm 
Admin

Pepper steak or wine merchant steak

red_lion wrote:
As you can see I live in 'ole Europe and we like to cook. So let me add 2 simple reciepes for tasty meat sauces.

Pepper sauce
You need a small glass of fresh green pepper. Not the dried stuff, it must be the fresh and soft stuff that comes normally in vinegar for conservation.
1 small bottle or Tetrapack of fresh unsweetened cream, the type you use for making wiped cream.
Put the cream in a pan and heat slowly. It must not cook or the cream will turn. Just heat it up. When the cream starts to bubble, add 3-4 tablespoons of green peppers without the vinegar. Smash them lightly so the peppers just open. Turn down the heat. Add a spoon of Cognac or Whisky and stier immediately as the alcohol turns the cream. Add salt and fresh grounded pepper. Pour it over the meat. Goes well with veal, steaks and so on.

Wine merchant sauce
1 onion, cut into slices but not thin. Thin slices will burn and make it bitter.
Put a large spoon full of butter into a pan. Let it melt and wait until bubbles start. Add the ognion and turn down the heat a bit. Turn over the onions until they start to get brownish. Now pour bottle of red wine directly into the hot pan. Let it simmer uncored for 20 minutes until half of the wine is gone. Add salt and pepper. Put it over the hot meat - it's delicious.

Alain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:04 pm 
Admin

Steakhouse Hot Dogs

RipRoar wrote:
This one is really easy and a way to kick up the flavor on the boring hot dog that everyone takes out because they are easy to cook up. The night before you are going out pickup a pack of good Dogs and a bottle of A1 Steakhouse Steak Sauce. Take a shallow tupperware container and use a fork to poke some holes in the hot dogs. Make sure they are big but dont break up the hot dogs. Now pour the entire bottle of Sauce over them. Ideally you want them completely covered top to bottom side to side and have the Dogs seperated slightly. Put them in the fridge and let them sit over night. Take the container with you and let them soak till your ready to cook. When you throw them on the grill the Sauce will carmelize on the dogs. Put the normal things you would on your dogs now they will have a little extra kick. Its easy and tastes great.

Me and my wife always goto Pocono Speedway to see the Nascar events and this is one of the things that I cook everytime we go. I have had enough people stop that now I am taking a lot more hot dogs to cover the people that "just stop by" to get a bite to eat.

George,
Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm 
Admin

homemade Spareribs

red_lion wrote:
What makes a good meal on the trail? It must be simple, easy to set up and, most of all, tasty. So I go for ...
Spareribs with fresh salad, the way we do it in Luxembourg.

You need for one adults with healthy appetite 3 lbs or 1.5kg of spareribs without skin if you don't do the salad.
The day before you go prepare them.
Wash them and dry them off with kitchen paper. Cut them slightly in so the marinade can soak in. For the marinade you need
1 large ognion for each 2 lbs of ribs, cut into slices
2 gloves of fresh garlic
2 chilis
4 spoons of Soja sauce (you will not taste this later)
4 spoons of brown sugar
1 can of beer
1 spoon of paprika
1 small spoon of Cayenne peper
1 small spoon of salt
1 small spoon of Oregano
1 small spoon of Thyme (dried or better fresh)
1 small spoon of pepper
a bit of Tabaso if not hot enough yet

Toss all in a blender and mix it just a short time so you can still see chunks
Fill everything in a plastic bag and leave it in the fridge overnight. This is important as the marinade will tender the meat over time. You can even leave it in the fridge for 24-36 hours.

Prepare the rub for the ribs:
take 2 spoons of the following: Thyme, Oregano, Marjoram, garlic powder, ognion powder, salt, Cayenne pepper
6 spoons of brown sugar, 6 spoons of mild paprika powder (The paprika adds color, the sugar makes for the crisp skin. You will not taste the sugar later)

In the morning take out the ribs from the bag, dry them with paper towels, then rub them with the powder mix.
Do not trow away the marinade.
If you have time enough put the ribs on a hot barbecue for 10 minutes on each side so they get dark brown. They will not be done yet however.

Put them in an iron pot that just fits under your bonnet over the exhaust. Put in the ribs and the marinade, then make sure the lid can't come off, wire it shut. They will be done after 2 or 3 hours of trail driving. If you do this on a barbecue at home you can grill the ribs and spread marinade every 10 minutes or so on the ribs. Total time is then 2 - 3 hours until they are done. They are good when you pick in with a fork and can separate the bones without using a knife or a second fork.

As a sidedish we like a nice salad, for 2 people you need

1 head of Lettuce. Clean it and remove the stems. Wash and dry it.
3 ripe tomatoes cut into quarters
1 ognion, cut into slices
3 eggs, cooked for 8 minutes and cut into quarters
a small pack of bacon. Toss it in a medium hot pan shortly until slightly crisp, let it cool down before adding to the salad.
Put all this in a large Tupperware box. Do NOT add the dressing yet as it would soften the salad.

Dressing for the salad:
4 spoons of oil
3 spoons of vinegar
2 spoons of Mayonnaise, Mayonnaise and mustard makes the dressing thicker
1 spoon of mustard
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
Put the dressing in a shaker and add it only 5 minutes before serving.
With this a french baguette is ideal.

Don't try to do any physical effort after this meal.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Alain

red_lion wrote:
Sorry to have to add this but forgot...
Best for "cooking" in the engine compartment on the exhaust is an old steel steam cooker, the type where you have a screw-on lid. It will take a beating so try to find one at a garage sale - a small one or it won't fit.

And of course you must add fresh cheese to the salad. A good handful of swiss cheese, cut into 1/8" thick slices, then into sticks or pieces. Must be large enough to chew, not just swallow. Do not use pre-cut cheese, it always tastes like plastic. You can also spread some gratted Parmesan over it just before serving.

Alain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mjfoto wrote:
Great start!!

USAFCOP, LOST Rockies

Well, this is more a boat recipe than trail, but it will work on a campfire as easy as it will a hibachi or the manifold of a HMMWV. Yep I cooked fish in the desert. This is a pretty easy one that works with about any kind of fish. One of my Interpreters in Iraq brought me a slab of cod from the gulf, and we did this and it tasted great after adding a bottle of MRE Tabasco. Here it is

You need some trout or salmon or any fish you catch on your day of fishing. Trout is what we will find most on the trails here in Colorado I know a few lakes have good size browns in them.

1 lemon sliced
about a teaspoon of thyme
about a teaspoon of salt
about a teaspoon of pepper (lemon pepper is good)
about a teaspoon of some dill weed,
and a little garlic.
Some butter

All measurements are approximate as I season to taste and do not bring measuring devices with me on the boat, trail, or field.

Things needed:

Aluminum foil, hot coals or grill over coals or a hot manifold.

Wrap the gutted whole fish wit or without head attached (also works well with fish that have been cut in half just reduce cooking time) with aluminum foil. If you use fish halves, be sure skin is down on foil. Ensure you use enough foil to fully wrap and seal the foil over the entire fish.

Place all seasoning in the belly of the fish on the meat rub the spices into the meat. then add butter into the body cavity with a few lemon slices. Place a few lemon slices on top of the fish then seal the foil around the fish sealing it like a rolled paper bag.

If you use a grill, be sure to coat it so the foil does not stick and rip.

Place the foil pack in the coals or over your heat source and let it cook in it's juices and the butter for 30 minutes depending on how hot the coals are. Open it up and check the progress about every 5 minutes until it is done.

Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your fish and heat of the coals.

When you are done cooking and ready to remove from heat use long tongs or a "Y" stick and another stick to remove it. It will be heavy so be sure you do not usea twig and send your meal to the coals! ;}
I've been looking for a good fish recipe, Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mjfoto wrote:
Great start!!

USAFCOP, LOST Rockies

Well, this is more a boat recipe than trail, but it will work on a campfire as easy as it will a hibachi or the manifold of a HMMWV. Yep I cooked fish in the desert. This is a pretty easy one that works with about any kind of fish. One of my Interpreters in Iraq brought me a slab of cod from the gulf, and we did this and it tasted great after adding a bottle of MRE Tabasco. Here it is

You need some trout or salmon or any fish you catch on your day of fishing. Trout is what we will find most on the trails here in Colorado I know a few lakes have good size browns in them.

1 lemon sliced
about a teaspoon of thyme
about a teaspoon of salt
about a teaspoon of pepper (lemon pepper is good)
about a teaspoon of some dill weed,
and a little garlic.
Some butter

All measurements are approximate as I season to taste and do not bring measuring devices with me on the boat, trail, or field.

Things needed:

Aluminum foil, hot coals or grill over coals or a hot manifold.

Wrap the gutted whole fish wit or without head attached (also works well with fish that have been cut in half just reduce cooking time) with aluminum foil. If you use fish halves, be sure skin is down on foil. Ensure you use enough foil to fully wrap and seal the foil over the entire fish.

Place all seasoning in the belly of the fish on the meat rub the spices into the meat. then add butter into the body cavity with a few lemon slices. Place a few lemon slices on top of the fish then seal the foil around the fish sealing it like a rolled paper bag.

If you use a grill, be sure to coat it so the foil does not stick and rip.

Place the foil pack in the coals or over your heat source and let it cook in it's juices and the butter for 30 minutes depending on how hot the coals are. Open it up and check the progress about every 5 minutes until it is done.

Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your fish and heat of the coals.

When you are done cooking and ready to remove from heat use long tongs or a "Y" stick and another stick to remove it. It will be heavy so be sure you do not usea twig and send your meal to the coals! ;}
Tried this and it was very good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bullet wrote:
This recipe is for those who are wanting to use cold storage for things like soda and beer.

Trail Taco Salad - only sour cream and cheese must be in cold storage

Shopping List

Preformed taco salad bowls or burrito shells
1 small can sliced olives
1 white onion
1 tomato
1 can refried beans
1 bag shredded cheese
hot sauce
salt
*optional sour cream, cilantro and avacado

chop onion and mix into beans - heat over fire or camp stove until it reaches desired temp
add shredded cheese, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro,olives, sour cream, and avacado
salt to taste and add hot sauce if desired

To make a Trail Taco breakfasts

Use the same ingredients, but substitute bacon bits and eggs for refried beans. Fried potatoes go great in this as well. Do not use avacado. Another breakfast option is to substitute country gravy for sourcream and leave out the cilantro. Very yummy eats.
This is very good

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Fouros wrote:
a rasher is aussie for 1 whole slice

sorry i forget sometimes that aussie english is different to US english

STREWTH and CRICKEY :shock: :lol:

The only thing that matters to me are beer glasses.
I left Australia still confusing where and when should I get a schooner, a pint, a pot, a middy etc.... :cry: