It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great start!!

USAFCOP, LOST Rockies

Well, this is more a boat recipe than trail, but it will work on a campfire as easy as it will a hibachi or the manifold of a HMMWV. Yep I cooked fish in the desert. This is a pretty easy one that works with about any kind of fish. One of my Interpreters in Iraq brought me a slab of cod from the gulf, and we did this and it tasted great after adding a bottle of MRE Tabasco. Here it is

You need some trout or salmon or any fish you catch on your day of fishing. Trout is what we will find most on the trails here in Colorado I know a few lakes have good size browns in them.

1 lemon sliced
about a teaspoon of thyme
about a teaspoon of salt
about a teaspoon of pepper (lemon pepper is good)
about a teaspoon of some dill weed,
and a little garlic.
Some butter

All measurements are approximate as I season to taste and do not bring measuring devices with me on the boat, trail, or field.

Things needed:

Aluminum foil, hot coals or grill over coals or a hot manifold.

Wrap the gutted whole fish wit or without head attached (also works well with fish that have been cut in half just reduce cooking time) with aluminum foil. If you use fish halves, be sure skin is down on foil. Ensure you use enough foil to fully wrap and seal the foil over the entire fish.

Place all seasoning in the belly of the fish on the meat rub the spices into the meat. then add butter into the body cavity with a few lemon slices. Place a few lemon slices on top of the fish then seal the foil around the fish sealing it like a rolled paper bag.

If you use a grill, be sure to coat it so the foil does not stick and rip.

Place the foil pack in the coals or over your heat source and let it cook in it's juices and the butter for 30 minutes depending on how hot the coals are. Open it up and check the progress about every 5 minutes until it is done.

Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your fish and heat of the coals.

When you are done cooking and ready to remove from heat use long tongs or a "Y" stick and another stick to remove it. It will be heavy so be sure you do not usea twig and send your meal to the coals! ;}

L.O.S.T.#MJ064206
Owings Mills, Maryland
Sport 05
Black
2 L.O.S.T. Stickers
Hook and Hitch added

kjlostcookbook@gmail.com
The L.O.S.T. Cookbook is in the works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Send some more glad to have them.

TnRebel

here is one of mine, I added you to my gmail {WGAND$$@gmail.com} and will be sending more like it if you want this kind
Country skillet

6 strips of bacon
6 cups frozen cubed hash browns
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
salt
pepper
6 eggs
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Remove crumble and set aside. Add potatoes to bacon grease along with the green pepper, onion salt and pepper, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until hash browns are browned. Make 5 wells in the potato mixture, break one egg in each well. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 or until eggs are done. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.

L.O.S.T.#MJ064206
Owings Mills, Maryland
Sport 05
Black
2 L.O.S.T. Stickers
Hook and Hitch added

kjlostcookbook@gmail.com
The L.O.S.T. Cookbook is in the works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:51 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Fouros Bacon bombs

you will need this per person

3 rashers of bacon
1 Very Large Field Musroom
1 egg
some Sliced Tomato
butter
salt and pepper
and a large square of Aluminium Foil

place foil on table

arrange 3 slices of bacon on the foil so they make a circle

remove stalk from mushroom and place in the center of the bacon ( So it looks loke a bowl)

then crack egg and put it in the mushroom

place sliced tomato on top of egg, add salt , pepper and butter to taste

wrap the bacon around the mushroom egg and tomato, wrap tightly with the Al foil

place on camp (Dutch ) Oven and put on fire

in about 10 - 15 mins egg bacon musroom and tomato will be cooked

dig in to your coronory on a plate

my favorie camping breakfast :D

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Recipe or ritual?

This isn't exactly a meal, although if you have it enough you'll forget about eating... As experienced at the AZLOST Fun-n-Sun Run this last January 2006:

Tequila - preferably good and gold
Oranges (instead of limes)
Cinnamon (instead of salt)

Cut orange wedge, sprinkle cinnamon on top. Pour shot of tequila (or swig from bottle). Drink shot. Eat orange.

Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:51 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm still trying to figure out what a "rasher" is. :?

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

a rasher is aussie for 1 whole slice

sorry i forget sometimes that aussie english is different to US english

STREWTH and CRICKEY :shock: :lol:

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This recipe is for those who are wanting to use cold storage for things like soda and beer.

Trail Taco Salad - only sour cream and cheese must be in cold storage

Shopping List

Preformed taco salad bowls or burrito shells
1 small can sliced olives
1 white onion
1 tomato
1 can refried beans
1 bag shredded cheese
hot sauce
salt
*optional sour cream, cilantro and avacado

chop onion and mix into beans - heat over fire or camp stove until it reaches desired temp
add shredded cheese, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro,olives, sour cream, and avacado
salt to taste and add hot sauce if desired

To make a Trail Taco breakfasts

Use the same ingredients, but substitute bacon bits and eggs for refried beans. Fried potatoes go great in this as well. Do not use avacado. Another breakfast option is to substitute country gravy for sourcream and leave out the cilantro. Very yummy eats.

17" Akuza rims, 245 Revos
Altezza tail lamps, clear marker lights
Husky slush mats all around
Visit Bullet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

"Trail Packs"

2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion
3 carrots
1 green pepper
3 potatoes
3 stalks celery
1 teaspoon water per serving
Foil
Salt, pepper, hot sauce, etc to taste

You can use these veggies, or whatever kind you prefer. Also the amounts for the veggies and beef aren’t really important, just use however much you feel like eating I guess.

Cut the vegetables into bite size chunks, slice onion, etc.

Make large squares out of the foil. They need to be large enough to hold an entire serving’s worth of beef and vegetables, with enough extra foil to seal the pack entirely. Make burger-sized patties with the beef, and place one in the center of each foil square. Add vegetables on top of the beef, along with whatever seasonings you want to taste. Add about a teaspoon of water to each pack, then seal the foil packets.

Cook by putting the packs on hot coals for 20 minutes or so, checking occasionally for doneness.

Once everything’s cooked as well as you want, tear into ‘em. Add ketchup, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, whatever, for extra flavor. These are great because you can eat straight out of the foil.

'04 TJ Sport - Solar Yellow, D44, stock for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok Kids, here's a chili recipe that will make you wonder why you eat any other food at all.

List of ingredients:

(1) 2-3 lbs of coarse ground chuck (have your butcher run the meat thru a grinder with the 1/2 inch plate in place)
(1.1) a little lard or canola oil (about 1-1.5 tablespoon of either
(1.2) 14 oz chicken broth (or 5 chicken boullion cubes and 2 cups water)
(1.3) 4 oz of tomato sauce
(1.4) salt... you know how much you like
(2) 1 medium Vidalia onion... or an OSO sweet will work too (or 1 tablespoon onion granules)
(3) 6 medium jalapenos* (deseeded and deveined for the weak of palate)
(4) 3-6 seranos**(use only if you like your chili to bring up a sweat on your brow)
(5) 2-3 garlic cloves (or if your like me 1 tablespoon garlic granules)
(6) 3 tablespoons/lb of meat of Gebharts chili powder (it's so much better than Tones... sorry Tones...but it's true)
(7) 1 tablespoon/lb meat of cumin powder.
(8) 1 teaspoon of lime juice
(9) 1 teaspoon sugar (1 packet of sugar from dunkin donuts works great)
(10) 1 bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yr old bourbon

* jalapenos have a heat score of 2000 Scoville units
** Seranos have a heat score of 20,000 Scoville units -use according to your taste and tolerance!!

Here's what to do:

THIS RECIPE IS FOR THE END OF THE TRAIL DAY WHEN NO MORE DRIVING WILL OCCUR FOR THAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

First and foremost thank your favorite diety for being out on the trail; you could be stuck in the office working. You could even have a shot of that Elijah as an offering!

Ok, dice the onion, jalapenos, and seranos until you think your pieces are small enough... then dice just a bit longer....

Heat the lard/canola oil until it just barely begins to smoke, add the meat. I always add about 1 teaspoon salt at this point. As the meat starts to grey, add the onion, garlic, japs, and seranos. Let that cook for about 20 minutes, stirring once in a while so you don't get bored. Have another taste of the Elijah Craig. Add your chicken broth or boullion mix and bring temp up to a very very slow boil. (Sometimes I'll add a tablespoon or two of the bourbon to the chili at this point..it will give it a bit of a smokey flavor and the ethanol will evaporate off as you cook) Add your powders (chili, cumin), tomato sauce, sugar and the lime juice. Stir that up good, but gently. Let it cook another 20-30 minutes, but DO NOT let it boil hard... just a few bubbles every second... (Never Cover this recipe) ..stir real good.... Salt to taste and enjoy..... Wash it down with some more Elijah!!

Prelowered '02 Limited
Factory Skids, Off-road group
K & N panel filter
Garvin Wilderness Rack
245/70/16 Dean Wildcat AT's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:07 pm 
LOST Member

"Tasty Beansr"

4-5 Spicy Italian Sausage Links, or Mild
1 Onion any color
1 Green Bell Pepper
4 Cans of Pork and Beans normal size
1 Can of Italian Style Diced Tomatoes normal size
1 Can of Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes
Salt to taste

Dice up onion and Pepper add to large pot or Dutch oven. Place sausage (skin removed) in the pot with the onion and pepper and cook till sausage is all cooked mincing up the links into edible chuncks while you stir. Add beans and tomatoes and heat till its pipping hot and enjoy, season as desired. You will now have some tasty beans.

Skids, lift, 235x85 Toyo Open country A/T
Glasspack Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Banana Boat

Slice a banana down the middle length ways about an inch from each end. Push both ends toward middle slightly to make a pocket. Fill with anything sweet you like. We made them with chocolate and peanut butter chips and marshmallows. Could use M&Ms, granola, caramel, etc. Wrap in foil and place over hot coals just till warm. 8-10 min. Eat with spoon, it's messy but good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:53 am 
LOST Member

Cowboy Stew ... Serves 2-3

This too is intended for AFTER the driving is done. I'd have to advise against any flash photography too....

1 - 16 Oz Can of Van Camps Pork and Beans
1 - Lb Ground Beast (beef is best but turkey or pork would be delicious)
1 - Loaf of bread (wheat bread is what I use 'cause i think that's what real cowboys would use ????
Salt and Pepper

-Optional-
1/4th cup BBQ sauce (Jack Daniels sauce is Grrrreat!)
1 - small red onion... chopped
Small bottle of Tobasco Sauce (this should already be in your first aid kit)

In a large pan, dutch oven, skillet or old boot brown the meat and optional onions, drain the fat (if you want), throw in the beans and optional sauces. DO NOT use a whole bottle of Tobasco unless you really know what you're doing. Just a dab'll do. Cook it till its real hot. Serve open face over slices of bread. Salt and pepper to taste. Mmmmmm healthy! :lol:

Post subject: For those that like it hot and peppery
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bologna Bomb or Jalapeño Bologna

Ingredients:
1 log of bologna (approx 2-3" in diamter or whatever the large size is)
1 jar jalapeños
some aluminum foil
some cheese of your liking
and of course a campfire

How to create:

Take the Bologna log and cut in half.
Then from the inside part of the halves you have just created cut a hole out and save that piece as a plug.
Now add as much jalapeños you think you can handle and cheese of your choice if so desire.
Plug back in piece of bologna you cut out and wrap each half log of bologna individually in aluminum foil.
Proceed to stick this into your campfire for about 8-10 minutes depending on intensity of heat, make sure to rotate the package to allow for consistent cooking.
Once you can begin to smell bologna and jalapeño juice in the smoke you should know it is done or it is way overcooked.
Remove package carefully and place contents on plate or leave in aluminum foil to cool and then be ready for a good kickin treat.

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

This recipe was a big hit at the at the 2006 Moab Run
It's was a little thing we like to call L.O.S.T. Smoreo's. As I was roasting marshmallows I saw Vern was eat Oreo's. Vern offered me some Oreo's and it's all history from there. The recipe was pretty staight forward. It's is just a roasted marshmallow placed place between the cookies on an Oreo. I do recommend double stuffed over original Oreos. Good Luck.

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:23 am 
LOST Member

Not sure if you guys get Lebanese bread in the USA or not.
But we get them readily from the supermarkets (grocer shop?)

Anyway, I use them as a pizza base.
Ingredients:
Lebanese bread
Pizza sauce
cabanosi
hot sliced salami
mushrooms
onions
lots of cheese
and any other topping you want.

I use my cobb to cook it but you could put it in a camp/dutch oven and put some hot coals over the lid.
Cooking time only takes about 5-8mins if you have pre-warmed the oven.

I will normally eat 4 or 5 of these.

Leb bread on the cobb's cooking plate

Spread on the pizza sauce

Toppings of choice

Cheeeeeeeeeese

5 minutes later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:53 pm 
Admin

Jeepman56 wrote:
For some easy breakfast omelets:

ZIPLOC OMELETS

(Can prepare ahead of time and freeze, just be carefull of which ingredients are added, also must use freezer bags!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Add a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, tomato, hash browns, etc.

Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed!

Nice to prepare while taking down camp or getting the Jeep ready for the days adventure, and a great conversation piece.

Enjoy!

-Nate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:54 pm 
Admin

oldhockeyvb wrote:
Here's a new recipe invented around the campfire in Moab 2006 by Vern and Korey.

Smoreo's-

Take double stuffed yellow cream Oreo cookies, spin the cookies apart, roast a marshmallow over the campfire to your taste, plop it between the cookies, and enjoy!

Mmmmmm. It received rave reviews in Moab!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:56 pm 
Admin

Mashed taters Stew:

BVCRD wrote:
.....and we had this a couple of times a week. Not real interesting but pretty good and filling. Have some instant mashed potatoes and make them up. Crack open a can of beef stew and heat it. Pour on top of the potatoes and enjoy. Simple, filling.

Easy Fish:

BVCRD wrote:
Another one I have is if you go fishing and have some luck, (i do trout out here) Gut the fish, and place on a piece of foil. Cut some onion real fine and stuff the cavity with it as well as with some butter, salt and pepper. Seal up real well and place on coals for 5 minutes per side. When done, the eyes will be cloudy like. Take a butter knife or even a spoon, and cut down the stripe on the fish down to the bones. Next, flip the upper meat over and do the same with the bottom meat. Now, grasp the head and pull the head, bones and tail out and you have nothing left but the best tasting fish you could ever want. Eat right on the foil for easy clean up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:57 pm 
Admin

Tin foil dinners:

pnorton wrote:
I take this backpacking all the time
Brown some ground beef with a diced onion
Rip a the size of foil you want and place on a table (the bigger it is, the easier it is to wrap up)
put a line of beef in the center
add a few big spoonfulls of Cream of Mushroom on top
add about a cup to a cup and half of frozen veggies on top (I use a corn, pea, carrot mixture)
Don't add potatoes like some people do, Add a good amount of Tator Tots!
I through in a few spices like basil and some pepper and in mine I add Tabasco sauce.
I fold up all sides and add another layer of foil fold up those sides
Freeze them
throw them in the backpack and take off.
By the time you get to camp they are thawed and will heat up quite nicely and quick since everything is already cooked.
so just throw them on the coals in the fire for about 20 min. turning a few times
You can make it as big as you want
And try other ingredients and spices Just don't use the raw ingredients like the Boy Scouts used to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 pm 
Admin

Chicken Fried Steak:

BVCRD wrote:
Ok, you need a ice chest to get the steak to camp, but somebody has to keep the beer cold don't they? I use a good looking piece of chuck steak for this. Trim all the fat, silver skin, and nondesirebles away from the steak. Pound steak with a tenderizer hammer. All this can be done at home before you leave. Mix an egg with a cup of milk. Reconstituded powder milk will do. Season the steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dust it with some self rising flour. This is the secrect ingredient. Regular flour just won't do. Dip the steak into the egg wash and then recoat with the self rising flour. Fry in Canola oil under a hot fire turning it when golden brown. The self rising flour will give the steak a thicker, crunchy bite almost like extra crispy Kentucky Fried Chicken. This can be used on chicken as well. I was hungry for this and whipped up a batch last night. darn Good!!!