It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PC based GPS navigation and mounting?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am 
LOST Member

So, for my upcoming adventure this fall I'm thinking about using my netbook as a larger screen GPS. I've started to do some research and I think I want to use Overland Navigator as the software.
I've looked a little bit on Expedition Portal and UPOverland, but I don't see many Liberty's running that kind of set up.

So Do you use a PC navigation system? If so, what is your setup.

Most importantly I'm wondering if I can use my Garmin 450 for the GPS (instead of a puck type) and how do you have your pc/ tablet mounted?

I'm thinking of having a wire rod mount system (not sure thickness yet) fabricated to sit over the console so that I can remove it when I don't "need" the pc mounted. I've seen this done on ExPo with a JK unlimited and it looked great and was super functional.

So if you run a PC based navigation can you fill me in on what you use and help me with my questions?

Thanks!

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

Post subject: Re: PC based GPS navigation and mounting?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

I have DeLorme Street Atlas USA with a USB GPS receiver for $40 to use with my netbook. Haven't used it too much so far, but it has been good for driving directions, trying out geocaching, and appears to breadcrumb fairly well. In the vans the netbook rests on the dash without really obstructing view. In the Jeep it sits on my lap since I'm usually in the passenger seat.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks ihatemybike,
How do you like the Delorme program/ maps? Which GPS receiver puck do you have?

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:37 am 
LOST Addict

I've been using DeLorme Street Atlas software for a decade or more and haven't had too many complaints about it. We used SA2010 without a GPS receiver when we went to Montana last year, it helped us find a few interesting byways and most of the unpaved roads we drove were displayed on it.

Just bought the LT-40 GPS receiver when I upgraded to SA2011. Thus far the LT-40 has been a good receiver. I try to keep it on the dash, but it hasn't dropped signal when it slides off.

I caught a sale on DeLorme's website and bought SA2011 and the LT-40 for $39.95+s&h, but the normal price is only $10 more. Pretty good deal if you are looking for driving directions and to see the main trails (unimproved roads). You get all of the USA, Canada, and major roads and highways in Mexico.

Overland Navigator does look interesting, but depending on the map packs you need it's $70-80 not including the GPS just to get something usable and every addition map pack is $30-40. Still, I'd like to try it someday.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jmichaelsjeep wrote:
I'm thinking of having a wire rod mount system (not sure thickness yet) fabricated to sit over the console so that I can remove it when I don't "need" the pc mounted. I've seen this done on ExPo with a JK unlimited and it looked great and was super functional.

What do you mean by wire rod mount?

I saw this tube system over there from Vector Offroad. I'd like to do something like this for my KJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 am 
LOST Member

It was like a 3/16 metal rod that was bent to form using multiple pieces and welded together to create a rack of sorts the laptop sat on. This whole system sat over the console. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I started geocaching in 05 I used a laptop with MS Streets and trips and a Helix puck-style antenna. It worked great but was a PITA to hide while out on the trail. Now I use a Garmin Nuvi to get me to the area and then a cheap, garmin Etrex ($90± at Bass Pro) to get me to the cache.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm 
LOST Member

Here is the link to the post over on Expedition Portal that I was refering to:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11148&page=17

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9316/passsidefrontni9.jpg

501- Thanks for the tip. I'm actually thinking of this setup more for driving/ expedition type travel where the handheld would be too small. Geocaching I'll still just use my Garmin 450, I'm not really planning on using this for caching, except maybe where I'd be always in/ near the JEEP anyway, such as my vacation I'm planning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As I posted on another thread, I've been using the Street Atlas for 10 years, and love it. Another software option is Delorme Topo North America - it has 3-d options in the mapping, so when you're driving, you can actually see hills/valleys before you get there, as well as watching yourself going up-and-down in real time. I've used both, and love both of 'em.

Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm looking at Overland Navigator by Spatial Minds. It looks pretty promising. I want to try it out on my netbook.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used Backcountry Navigator on my Android phone on my recent Moab trip. Very impressed with it. I think it would be fantastic on an Android tablet. There are quite a few ~ $300 tablets out there and more on the way. Many have built in GPS, broadband and wifi. BN application is $10.00 from the market.

Maps are free, download in advance is very easy, zoom the maps is easy, GPS tracks are easy to manage. This is my new GPS solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

bugnout wrote:
I used Backcountry Navigator on my Android phone on my recent Moab trip. Very impressed with it. I think it would be fantastic on an Android tablet. There are quite a few ~ $300 tablets out there and more on the way. Many have built in GPS, broadband and wifi. BN application is $10.00 from the market.

Maps are free, download in advance is very easy, zoom the maps is easy, GPS tracks are easy to manage. This is my new GPS solution.

Did you pick up a tablet yet? I found this one which looks very promising and plan to run Backcountry Navigator on it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Faster-Dual-Core- ... XXEIKN1J6Z