It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who would be interested in a road trip to Alaska?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The purpose of this thread is intended to generate discussion and find out who might be interested in a Canadian/Alaskan road trip. If there’s enough interest, we can always ask the moderators to turn this thread into a sticky and find a place on the forum to work out the details.

There are a few of us on LOST who have expressed interest in making a road trip through Canada and into Alaska. Due to cost, commitment, and the amount of planning involved, a trip of this magnitude probably wouldn’t happen until the summer of 2013, 2014, or 2015. There have been no details discussed yet so please offer up suggestions if you are truly interested.

Here are some things to ponder:

(1) I personally think it would take a minimum of three weeks to really enjoy the trip. Not everyone has the ability to take that much time off work, but the trip would be a lifetime experience.
(2) To save some money or time, you might want to consider driving up and taking a ferry down or vice versa.
(3) Besides acquiring a passport, you will need to consider any laws/rules/regulations in Canada that would impact you.
(4) I would highly encourage you to drive a vehicle that is reliable and affordable. Depending on fuel economy, the price of fuel and miles driven, you could easily spend a few thousand dollars just in fuel. It’s easily 1,500 miles to reach Canada just form where I live.
(5) Consider which month would be your preference while keeping in mind that avoidance of snow is important for safe and faster travels.
(6) If you are interested, what year do you think you could do it (2013, 2014, 2015)
(7) Consider hotels, tent camping, car camping; or pulling a camper trailer.
(8) Consider all the interesting things and destinations that you want to see and experience. I have a DVD series on RVing Canada/Alaska which highlight some of these places.
(9) Consider what driving routes you would want to take
(10) Consider if you would be willing to share your vehicle with someone to split fuel costs, etc.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Who would be interested in a road trip to Alaska?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds good to me. I think the toughest part would be deciding on a route were everyone coming from the midwest and east could meet up. I'm in Seattle and would be coming up from here. From the sheer amount of planning involved I think this is probably something that couldn't happen until 2014. There are ferries that run from different ports in AK to Bellingham WA (about 2.5 hours north of Seattle) but they're not cheap and it takes a few days, I'm not sure how much time or money would be saved over driving.
This would be a great road trip :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

(1) Three weeks, minimum
(2) The ferry is expensive. I checked into it for my trip this year and it would triple my transportation costs.
(3) Passport required by all now. Gun laws if you prefer to carry.
(4) I'm taking Grumpy, some would question if its reliable or affordable. I'm currently budgeting for gas $2500 for my trip this year.
(5) I'm going in August this year. Research shows that the seasonal, lesser used roads will be open and my credit cards are doing 5% cash back on gas purchases July-Sept.
(6) With enough lead time, we could make any of those years happen.
(7) This year I will be car camping as it will be the easiest most cost effective way.
(8) Rip the DVDs to MP4, private file transfer to interested parties?
(9) This year I'm trying to not drive the same road twice as much as possible. This also means that I'll be taking a few single lane gravel highways where recommended top speeds are 35-40 mph.
(10) If we're in Eugene, it only seats two. Grumpy can seat five, sleep two currently.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:16 pm 
LOST Addict

cgass wrote:
I think the toughest part would be deciding on a route were everyone coming from the midwest and east could meet up.

Here is the route I'm currently planning on taking this year.
Alaska Route

I'm following the lower edge of Canada on the way there. This route could be modified to continue into Vancouver with people driving pretty much straight North to hook up with those that started the route further East.

1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
Well, of course you know I'm in.

Nice!

yellocoyote wrote:
In terms of time frame, most likely not next year for us either... so I'm thinking 2014 at the earliest.

Yeah, 2014 or 2015 would work best for us. It would give us time to save money and prepare.

yellocoyote wrote:
I would say no less than 3 weeks as well. Especially if you want to have the time to enjoy your environment, instead of just passing through.

I think most will be in agreement with 3 weeks minimum.

yellocoyote wrote:
Aaron (ihatemybike) should be a good resource to use by this fall, considering he will have done the drive by then (or some version of it). Also, we should check with durangotang once he gets back stateside - he used to live in Alaska and I think I remember him saying that he's driven it on a few occasions.

I'm really looking forward to hearing updates from ihatemybike. He will be more familiar with the current Canadian law/regulations. Durango will also be a good informational source. SirSam traveled to Alaska last year, so he‘s another good contract person.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
Sounds good to me.

8)

cgass wrote:
I think the toughest part would be deciding on a route were everyone coming from the midwest and east could meet up. I'm in Seattle and would be coming up from here.

That discussion will have to take place at some point. We can work out those details once we know who is going for sure. It’s not necessary that we all would have to meet up in the continental U.S. prior to our entry into Canada. Even though there are a combination of routes to choose from, there are only a few direct routes to Alaska. Depending on who goes, we could always meet up at a campground in Canada. And if there was enough interest, we could possibly have a few different groups traveling until there was a more convenient place to meet up.

cgass wrote:
From the sheer amount of planning involved I think this is probably something that couldn't happen until 2014.

Agreed. That would give everyone two years to plan, coordinate, and save some cash.

cgass wrote:
This would be a great road trip :JEEPIN:

It’s on my bucket list.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

This trip is on my bucket list too. I'd like to spend several months traveling the interior. Don't think the wife would take this long a trip with the 5 & the 8 year old. But I wanna go bad!

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
(1) Three weeks, minimum

So far, everyone up to this point agrees on the 3 week minimum idea

ihatemybike wrote:
(2) The ferry is expensive. I checked into it for my trip this year and it would triple my transportation costs.

I wouldn't take the ferry anyway, but I thought it might be a viable option for those looking to save money or time. Thanks for clarifying that information.

ihatemybike wrote:
(3) Passport required by all now. Gun laws if you prefer to carry.

Can you legally keep a gun in your vehicle/camper?

ihatemybike wrote:
(4) I'm taking Grumpy, some would question if its reliable or affordable.

Grumpy might not be the most reliable or affordable, but it’s what you know the best. Plus, if Grumpy were to break down, you would probably know how to repair it. Oh, and you love that thing! - You gotta make memories in Grumpy!

Well, we would probably take the truck and camper, and there’s nothing economical about pulling a camper and averaging 13 mpg. Maybe I’ll make up for the lost fuel economy by having a cheap place to sleep and by carrying and cooking much of our own food.

ihatemybike wrote:
I'm currently budgeting for gas $2500 for my trip this year.

It will be interesting to see what the economy is like in a few years. If I took my truck this summer, I’d probably have to figure $3,000 in diesel fuel. Depending on what people want to do, fuel will be the most expensive part of the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
(5) I'm going in August this year. Research shows that the seasonal, lesser used roads will be open and my credit cards are doing 5% cash back on gas purchases July-Sept.

I would be interested in a July-August trip. If I were to pick my three weeks, I would choose the last two weeks in July and the 1st week in August.

ihatemybike wrote:
(6) With enough lead time, we could make any of those years happen.

Would you be willing to do the trip again in 2014? That would be exactly two years from when you last did the trip.

ihatemybike wrote:
(7) This year I will be car camping as it will be the easiest most cost effective way.

I could be wrong, but I would think that most people who are interested in this type of trip would prefer car camping. I can honestly say that the best feature about RV/car camping is the convenience and the ability to camp in solitude and near streams, etc. Sometimes we use the camper as a base camp and go tent camping off the beaten path.

ihatemybike wrote:
(8) Rip the DVDs to MP4, private file transfer to interested parties?

I’ll see what I can do.

ihatemybike wrote:
(9) This year I'm trying to not drive the same road twice as much as possible. This also means that I'll be taking a few single lane gravel highways where recommended top speeds are 35-40 mph.

That's a good idea. From what I've read, the roads have improved a lot in the last few years, so maybe there are more and more roads that are open, accessible, or improved.

ihatemybike wrote:
(10) If we're in Eugene, it only seats two. Grumpy can seat five, sleep two currently.

Would you also be taking your dogs? Since this would be at least a 3 week trip, we’ll be taking our two dogs with us.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

woodtick wrote:
This trip is on my bucket list too. I'd like to spend several months traveling the interior. Don't think the wife would take this long a trip with the 5 & the 8 year old. But I wanna go bad!

Well, it looks like you have at least two years to convince her. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was planning to do this trip when I retired in 3 to 5 years. But two to three years sounds better. And going with good friends sounds like a lot more fun.
So I'm in. :!:

It would have to be 2014 or 2015. I would be camping most of the time.
Three weeks would work for me.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
LOST Addict

More pictures here:
http://colorado4wheel.com/content/ak/index.html

3 weeks is about the minimum. I did it in 19 days, 4 of which were 24 hour a day driving to get up there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kskj wrote:
I was planning to do this trip when I retired in 3 to 5 years. But two to three years sounds better. And going with good friends sounds like a lot more fun.
So I'm in. :!:

8)

kskj wrote:
It would have to be 2014 or 2015.

I'll ask yellocoyote if she can find a place on the forum where we can organize this trip. I think we already have enough interest to justify it. The first thing I'll do is set up a poll asking everyone to vote on a year.

kskj wrote:
I would be camping most of the time.

So far, I think most of us have chosen to camp for at least the majority of the time. Knowing cgass, he’ll want to camp also. There might be a few places were tent camping is not permitted due to grizzlies, but that would be seasonal and only in certain parks and/or campgrounds. Even popup campers and foldout tent campers are not permitted in those rare situations. If we plan ahead, we can avoid those campgrounds. Even though I have an enclosed camper, I’ve heard many stories in which bears tore off the front RV door. Then again, I’ve seen bears bend down car/truck door frames. :ROTFL:

kskj wrote:
Three weeks would work for me.

I think that is a fairly good timeframe. I might take a poll to see if anyone would want to extend the trip to 4 weeks. If there was enough people with a split vote, we could always breakout into two groups on the way home based on the timeline chosen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
kskj wrote:
I would be camping most of the time.

So far, I think most of us have chosen to camp for at least the majority of the time. Knowing cgass, he’ll want to camp also. There might be a few places were tent camping is not permitted due to grizzlies, but that would be seasonal and only in certain parks and/or campgrounds. Even popup campers and foldout tent campers are not permitted in those rare situations. If we plan ahead, we can avoid those campgrounds. Even though I have an enclosed camper, I’ve heard many stories in which bears tore off the front RV door. Then again, I’ve seen bears bend down car/truck door frames. :ROTFL:

Yep. I'll be camping. Most places have restrictions on how and where food can be stored. And by food they mean anything with a scent similar to food. A lot of them have bear lockers on site or you can rent bear resistant food containers (oftentimes they're free). You defiantly don't want to be leaving food in your vehicle in grizzly country.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
Yep. I'll be camping. You defiantly don't want to be leaving food in your vehicle in grizzly country.

I’ll try not to pour my bacon grease around your tent in the middle of the night. Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:13 pm 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Would you be willing to do the trip again in 2014? That would be exactly two years from when you last did the trip.
Sounds good.

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I can honestly say that the best feature about RV/car camping is the convenience and the ability to camp in solitude and near streams, etc. Sometimes we use the camper as a base camp and go tent camping off the beaten path.
I really like the ability to pull off and sleep pretty much anywhere that I feel like it. I'm hoping to have my little Kawasaki dual sport with me when I go, for a little more exploring and emergency transportation.

dieselenthusiast wrote:
From what I've read, the roads have improved a lot in the last few years, so maybe there are more and more roads that are open, accessible, or improved.
The main roads are improved, but it's still very possible to take some long lessor roads.

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Would you also be taking your dogs? Since this would be at least a 3 week trip, we’ll be taking our two dogs with us.
We usually have a friend take care of Nemo for us while we travel. Jayme's mom usually stops by twice a week to check in on the cats.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
I really like the ability to pull off and sleep pretty much anywhere that I feel like it.

Traveling is so much more spontaneous and enjoyable when you have that type of flexibility. I don’t know about Canada, but the United States has a lot free places to boondock.

ihatemybike wrote:
I'm hoping to have my little Kawasaki dual sport with me when I go, for a little more exploring and emergency transportation.

I’m assuming the bike will go on a hitch carrier?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I’m assuming the bike will go on a hitch carrier?
You are correct.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:52 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
Anyone have any destinations in mind once we arrive in Alaska?

Purdhoe bay.....seriously, if you going to drive to alaska you might as well drive all the way north of the arctic circle.

I have some others, let me dig up some photos and post them to show off.

Post subject: Re: Re: Who would be interested in a road trip to Alaska?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sir Sam wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:
Anyone have any destinations in mind once we arrive in Alaska?

Purdhoe bay.....seriously, if you going to drive to alaska you might as well drive all the way north of the arctic circle.

I have some others, let me dig up some photos and post them to show off.

Sounds good to me. A stop in the Arctic National Wildlife Preserve would be cool too