LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=66294
Page 3 of 4

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

Since we do not use the microwave, we are going to remove it and cover the vacant hole with a matching door to expand storage space.

Image

Below is a picture of the cabinetry to the right-side of the microwave. From the measurements that I have taken, this exact door should fit. Jayco can build me the same door and send matching hardware so it will look like a factory install. Here's what I will need:

- Door: 0187426 DOOR, FLAT PANEL MANCHESTER OAK NATURAL TOUCH ASH FOURWOODS 21-3/4X15-1/2 SQUARE CORNER 1-3/4 RAIL COVE EDGE CO1
- Hinge: 0175409 HINGE, CABINET SATIN NICKEL H78SN (in stock)
- Knob: 0180124 KNOB, DRAWER SATIN NICKEL SMOOTH (in stock)
- Catch: 0057633 CATCH, ROLLER DOUBLE WITH STRIKE (in stock)

Image

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

On the left side of the microwave, I have these wall outlets:

Image

Image

On the right side of the microwave, I have this outlet:

Image

Image

And here's a head on shot of the compartment:

Image

Image

Now I need to figure out how to cover the wiring so the compartment is safe and looks clean.

Author:  Snug [ Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

I've done the ALCAN twice and both times in the winter. 1st trip was Feb 03 and 2nd was Nov 09. Pulled a 30ft TT up with a 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion and 2nd trip towed a 40ft triple axle with a Dodge 3500 dually with 5.9 Cummins.
Traveled with 2 children, wife and yellow lab and we had a blast. All Super 8 hotels on the ALCAN take pets. We traveled about 300-500 miles per day and just took our time.
Get a Mile Post book before going. It is a great tool to have with tons of info.
If towing a trailer make sure you have a stone guard on the trailer or big mud flaps on your vehicle. A radiator screen would be a good idea for summer travel as well. We didn't have rock/stone issues because everything was snow covered, but summer/spring travel will be different.
2 must haves would be money and a mile post.
Stop at the Laird Hot Springs.

Doug

Author:  WWDiesel [ Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Now I need to figure out how to cover the wiring so the compartment is safe and looks clean.

Two simple options: build a box out of thin plywood the size of the opening and slide it in just like the microwave did. Attach it with a few countersunk screws on the inside of the opening frame and new door will still fit. Line box with shelf paper or simply paint. Option two, line the inside with kitchen hardboard paneling available at any building supply store. Attach to braces that are already in corners, may have to space out on left with some 1" strips to leave room enough to cover the back of the recessed 12v/antenna wall outlet.
Either option will cover all the exposed wiring and plugins as they will behind the box or panels... :wink:

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

Snug wrote:
I've done the ALCAN twice and both times in the winter. 1st trip was Feb 03 and 2nd was Nov 09. Pulled a 30ft TT up with a 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion and 2nd trip towed a 40ft triple axle with a Dodge 3500 dually with 5.9 Cummins.
Traveled with 2 children, wife and yellow lab and we had a blast. All Super 8 hotels on the ALCAN take pets. We traveled about 300-500 miles per day and just took our time.
Get a Mile Post book before going. It is a great tool to have with tons of info.
If towing a trailer make sure you have a stone guard on the trailer or big mud flaps on your vehicle. A radiator screen would be a good idea for summer travel as well. We didn't have rock/stone issues because everything was snow covered, but summer/spring travel will be different.
2 must haves would be money and a mile post.
Stop at the Laird Hot Springs.

Doug


Doug, thanks for posting. We'll keep Liard Hot Springs in mind as we plan. We have a Mile Post but will need to update to the newest version before we actually make the trip. We'll be taking the 2006 Cummins and towing our 2008 Jayco travel trailer. We are now planning to take 4 - 5 weeks to do the roundtrip.

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

WWDiesel wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Now I need to figure out how to cover the wiring so the compartment is safe and looks clean.

Two simple options: build a box out of thin plywood the size of the opening and slide it in just like the microwave did. Attach it with a few countersunk screws on the inside of the opening frame and new door will still fit. Line box with shelf paper or simply paint. Option two, line the inside with kitchen hardboard paneling available at any building supply store. Attach to braces that are already in corners, may have to space out on left with some 1" strips to leave room enough to cover the back of the recessed 12v/antenna wall outlet.
Either option will cover all the exposed wiring and plugins as they will behind the box or panels... :wink:


Thanks WWDiesel! I was thinking option #2, but your option #1 sounds like a good idea too!

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

Sarah came up with the idea to use decorative totes to expand storage space. They sit on the bunk bed. So far they have remained stable while towing.

Image

Image

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

Before:

Image

After:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  profdlp [ Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

It looks like you are quite prepared. When is the big trip? :D

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

profdlp wrote:
It looks like you are quite prepared.


Ha ha, I would like to think that I'm prepared. There are more modifications to come. :mrgreen:


profdlp wrote:
When is the big trip? :D


That's a good question. We won't go until our house is finished, which will be another year. kskj would also like to go, but due to the length of time this trip will take to fully enjoy it, he is planning after his retirement (maybe two more years). In short, after recently discussing it with kskj, we're planning for the summer of 2017.

Author:  profdlp [ Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

It's always good to have something to look forward to. :)

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

profdlp wrote:
It's always good to have something to look forward to. :)


That's true. I always have irons in the fire. I wouldn't know what to do if I weren't planning for something. :juggle:

So are you going to make the trip with us? :mrgreen:

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

The mini-struts are installed!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

I added a screen door cross brace to the camper today. It's nothing fancy, but does provide a nice handle to grab ahold of when closing or exiting. The factory door has a small finger pull area to close the screen door, so this makes it more convenient.

Image

Image

Author:  profdlp [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

You do very nice work! :D

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

profdlp wrote:
You do very nice work! :D


Thanks! :mrgreen:

Author:  dieselenthusiast [ Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

My wife came up with this idea. It's a decorative way to keep the towels from falling during transport.

Image

Image

Author:  WHITE the civilian [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

I just brought my trailer for the trip, could've used a roof top tent and a regear for the big move to AK from upstate NY. Would've been a much more fun trip.. And by fun I mean less expensive :furious: Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  yellocoyote [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

I recognize the sign post forest shot from our trip last year... Watson Lake, YT. :D

Author:  WHITE the civilian [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Alaska Bound - What preparations are you making?

yellocoyote wrote:
I recognize the sign post forest shot from our trip last year... Watson Lake, YT. :D


It was a cool place, the bugs drove us out rather quick though.

Page 3 of 4 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/