It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking at trekking poles
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I decided to start a new thread specifically for trekking poles. Hopefully my quest for a good quality trekking pole might help others in their decision. Let me know what you use, where to buy, and the best prices. Let me know what you use, your experiences, where to buy, and the best prices.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject: Re: Looking at trekking poles
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've found the best way to decide on poles is to go try them out. There are so many different styles and features it's impossible to know what works for you until you give them a go.

Personally, I stay away from the traditional twist lock style. I've had too many occurrences of them collapsing when you need them. I also don't like shock ones. If I'm going to be putting my pole down I want it to stick, not bounce a little. It's unnerving to me. I know a lot of people who love them though because they aren't as hard on your elbows. My current poles are Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles. They are the lightest, most compact, poles I could find when I bought them. They aren't adjustable however, so if you like to shorten/lengthen them for ascending/descending your options are limited. Plus side is there is no risk of collapse. They're a great pole for backpacking, but might be a little light, and pricey, for day hikes.

Last edited by cgass on Mon May 07, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
I've found the best way to decide on poles is to go try them out. There are so many different styles and features it's impossible to know what works for you until you give them a go.

I'm going to take it one step further. Before you can try them out, you need to know what questions to ask.

cgass wrote:
Personally, I stay away from the traditional twist lock style. I've had too many occurrences of them collapsing when you need them.

Those are the type of experiences that people need to hear. I've hiked with several people who use them, and while most have very little problems with collapsing, the twist lock poles do work themselves loose.

cgass wrote:
I also don't like shock ones. If I'm going to be putting my pole down I want it to stick, not bounce a little. It's unnerving to me. I know a lot of people who love them though because they aren't as hard on your elbows.

I borrowed my dad's poles with the suspension. I've spent years having my hands free, so having a pole in my hand seems cumbersome. I would use the poles for intermitted use, i.e., water crossings, maneuvering over rocks, etc.). But I can see how the “shock” would provide you with a false sense of security. You brought up a good point

cgass wrote:
My current poles are Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles. They are the lightest, most compact, poles I could find when I bought them. They aren't adjustable however, so if you like to shorten/lengthen them for ascending/descending your options are limited. Plus side is there is no risk of collapse. They're a great pole for backpacking, but might be a little light, a pricey, for day hikes.

Great info.

I sure see a lot of poles at the REI scratch and dent sale. Most of them are missing the tips or have complaints about the shock absorbers and/or springs.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here’s a useful link on how to choose trekking poles: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/article ... taffs.html

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After looking at several different poles, there’s no doubt that I like the Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles the best. They are very light weight, foldable for easy pack storage, and come in different lengths.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Those are the poles I have. I can give you a full review of them when I get back from AK, if you want

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just saw that all BD poles are going to be 25% off during the REI Anniversary sale. http://catalogs.rei.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.5.1.6&cm_mmc=Email_com_gm-_-AnniversarySale-_-051612-_-btn_2daysale#

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
I can give you a full review of them when I get back from AK, if you want

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it! I think I found the size that I want (need), but I want to study up before going back and purchasing.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
Just saw that all BD poles are going to be 25% off during the REI Anniversary sale. http://catalogs.rei.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.5.1.6&cm_mmc=Email_com_gm-_-AnniversarySale-_-051612-_-btn_2daysale#

Thanks for pointing that out. I just saw that in my REI Gearmail. :rockon:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
Personally, I stay away from the traditional twist lock style. I've had too many occurrences of them collapsing when you need them. I also don't like shock ones. If I'm going to be putting my pole down I want it to stick, not bounce a little. It's unnerving to me. I know a lot of people who love them though because they aren't as hard on your elbows. My current poles are Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Poles. They are the lightest, most compact, poles I could find when I bought them. They aren't adjustable however, so if you like to shorten/lengthen them for ascending/descending your options are limited. Plus side is there is no risk of collapse. They're a great pole for backpacking, but might be a little light, and pricey, for day hikes.

My wife bought a pair of adjustable Black Diamond poles at the REI sale. But before ever using them she took them back and exchanged them for a pair of BD Ultra Distance Zs. Those are extremely light weight and compact. You can effectively shorten them by choking down the pole on the handle extension for that purpose. I'll probably buy a pair myself, but they're expensive enough that I'll delay as long as possible.

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Draco wrote:
My wife bought a pair of adjustable Black Diamond poles at the REI sale. But before ever using them she took them back and exchanged them for a pair of BD Ultra Distance Zs. Those are extremely light weight and compact. You can effectively shorten them by choking down the pole on the handle extension for that purpose. I'll probably buy a pair myself, but they're expensive enough that I'll delay as long as possible.

Yep, those are the ones that I want. I need to either go to Albuquerque and buy me a set or buy them online. I still don't know what size I need. The sale goes until Monday 5/28/12.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I finally picked up my hiking poles from REI. Since they were out of my size during the sale, I had to order them. These poles are usually $149 but I paid $112. The carbon is lighter than the aluminum and has more flex. I couldn’t be happier. 8)

Black Diamond
Ultra Distance
Carbon Z pole series
130 CM