It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Miami, Florida
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Budke wrote:
I've been on the highest point in Florida. It's a very treacherous hike to the top. :lol:


Besides “hiking” the highest point in Florida, I’m also looking forward to taking an RV trip all the way to Key West. :mrgreen:


If and when you do make it down to the Key's don't forget to take a hike below (-) sea level! :D
All kidding aside when you make it down here let me know.
Image

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
kskj wrote:
And don't forget Mt sunflower in Kansas.

Yeah, it's on the list for the near future. As you can see, it’s a pretty tough hike. :mrgreen:

Gary, do you want to hike Mount Sunflower with us? :goink:

There's still a fair amount of snow on Arizona’s and New Mexico’s highest points. And I'd like to save Texas for October/November when the temps are cooler. All I need is some diesel fuel money. :juggle:

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Tony P. wrote:
If and when you do make it down to the Key's don't forget to take a hike below (-) sea level! :D
All kidding aside when you make it down here let me know.


I'm looking forward to the key's. When is the best time of year to visit? We'll let you know when we plan that trip.

Speaking of the (-), we do have Death Valley on our list which is -282 to be exact. And 85 miles from Death Valley is Mount Whitney, which is 14,505 feet. We live in such a cool world. 8)

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Miami, Florida
The best time to be here is really anytime as far as the weather is concernd. The weather is not brutally harsh in any season really. Thier are other factors like Mosquitos and herds of people which are sometimes a factor. My preference is late spring early summer.

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:12 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 305
Location: Tucson, AZ
kskj wrote:
And don't forget Mt sunflower in Kansas. Its only 1 mile from the lowest point in Colorado.Lol

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Summit.jpg


Ha, I grew up about 30 miles North-Northwest of Mt. Sunflower on the Colorado side of the border. I'll have to ascend it next time I visit my parents.

_________________
2003 Liberty, ARB bumper w fogs and KC SlimLites
Front Franky II HD, rear OME948 w Rancho RS9000/XL shocks
LT245/75R16C Duratracs on Moabs
4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:51 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
We wanted to do a longer trail before attempting the tallest peak in Arizona. Mount Taylor is about 1.5 hours from where we live, so this was good testing grounds.

State: NM
Name of Peak: Mount Taylor
Elevation: 11,301
Distance: 7.5 miles round trip


Trip review: Mount Taylor is a volcano. At one time, before the volcano blew, it was estimated that it stood as low as 16,000 feet or as high as 25,000 feet. There’s a 2,000 feet elevation gain starting at the trailhead. This hike is not strenuous, but it does require you to be in good shape, after all, it’s a little over 7.5 miles round trip. I live, eat and sleep at 7,000 feet, so I’m pretty acclimated up to 12,000 feet. If you are not acclimated, then I suspect it would be a challenging summit. The trailhead starts out in a large aspen grove then works its way through the Ponderosa pines and into Douglas Firs. If you are fortunate enough, you might see big horn sheep on top. There are lots of gooseberries all along this hike. When the berries are ripe your chances of seeing a black bear has increased.

Mount Taylor isn’t too far off I-40. If you are passing through, I would recommend this hike.

Image

Small cactus

Image

Big Ponderosa

Image

Nice Aspen grove

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I'm not sure what the temperature was at the peak, but I'm guessing in the 40's. It was 50 degrees at the trailhead. We found a little bit of snow on top, and probably more snow on the north slope.

Image

Image

Image

Other views from the top

Image

Image

Going back down

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:47 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Buckeye, AZ
When do you plan on hitting Humphrey's peak? Depending on the date, I would like to tag along. Have been wanting to do it for years now. Just couldn't talk anyone into going with me. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:58 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 2126
Location: valley center, ks
Awesome Rhett, Mt Taylor is the one just north of Grants right. I have drove up that one to the trail head in the Company van when I worked out there A couple of years ago.

_________________
2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
eyehatetofu wrote:
When do you plan on hitting Humphrey's peak? Depending on the date, I would like to tag along. Have been wanting to do it for years now. Just couldn't talk anyone into going with me. :mrgreen:

As of today 5/28/12, Humphreys Peak still has a fair amount of snow on it. I was thinking about making a summit attempt sometime at the end of June - early July before monsoon season. There are three access points to the summit, I have outlined them below. What are you thinking, day hike or backpacking?

Snow Bowl-Humphreys Peak Trail head:
Elevation gain: 3,333 feet
9.4 miles round trip

Weatherford Trail:
Elevation gain: 4,609 feet
18 miles round trip

Inner Basin Trail:
Elevation Gain: 4,073 feet
13 miles round trip

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:41 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
kskj wrote:
Awesome Rhett, Mt Taylor is the one just north of Grants right. I have drove up that one to the trail head in the Company van when I worked out there A couple of years ago.

Yep, it's the peak that you can see as you're driving down I-40. The peak becomes visible as soon as you leave Albuquerque from the East and when you first enter from the West on the Arizona side. It's much easier to see when it's snowcapped.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 2294
Location: Orange Park, FL
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Tony P. wrote:
If and when you do make it down to the Key's don't forget to take a hike below (-) sea level! :D
All kidding aside when you make it down here let me know.


I'm looking forward to the key's. When is the best time of year to visit? We'll let you know when we plan that trip.

Speaking of the (-), we do have Death Valley on our list which is -282 to be exact. And 85 miles from Death Valley is Mount Whitney, which is 14,505 feet. We live in such a cool world. 8)



October-November has the best temps and not much rain. But even in December I was wearing shorts and driving topless. Lol

Sent using the force

_________________
'02 Jeep KJ 4x4- Gone
'92 YJ- lift, swampers, bumpers....yeah, its pretty sweet.
*DISCLAIMER*: I can not be held liable for anything I say on the forums or in real life.
I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Buckeye, AZ
dieselenthusiast wrote:
eyehatetofu wrote:
When do you plan on hitting Humphrey's peak? Depending on the date, I would like to tag along. Have been wanting to do it for years now. Just couldn't talk anyone into going with me. :mrgreen:

As of today 5/28/12, Humphreys Peak still has a fair amount of snow on it. I was thinking about making a summit attempt sometime at the end of June - early July before monsoon season. There are three access points to the summit, I have outlined them below. What are you thinking, day hike or backpacking?

Snow Bowl-Humphreys Peak Trail head:
Elevation gain: 3,333 feet
9.4 miles round trip

Weatherford Trail:
Elevation gain: 4,609 feet
18 miles round trip

Inner Basin Trail:
Elevation Gain: 4,073 feet
13 miles round trip


June or July sounds good to me. Be a nice get-a-way from the PHX heat. A day hike would probably be best. I read on the summitpost website that camping / backpacking isn't allowed in the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. I'm not really set up for much backpacking either. I can hump 9.4 miles pretty well though; so the Snow Bowl route would be my first choice.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
eyehatetofu wrote:
June or July sounds good to me. Be a nice get-a-way from the PHX heat. A day hike would probably be best. I read on the summitpost website that camping / backpacking isn't allowed in the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. I'm not really set up for much backpacking either. I can hump 9.4 miles pretty well though; so the Snow Bowl route would be my first choice.



Snow Bowl sounds good to me. Sarah told me to tell you that she’s not very fast, so if you can tolerate her “slower pace,” then she would love to have you join us. Give me a couple of days and I’ll post some possible dates that would work for both of us.

Here are a few reminders for you or anyone else who might want to do future higher altitude summits. Since you’re coming from the valley, be sure to bring warm clothes since the temps could be in the 30’s, especially near the peak. We don’t have crampons so that’s the main reason why I’m pushing this trip to the end of June/first of July. Due to rain and/or snow showers, remember to bring an outer shell.

There will be significant elevation gains, especially for someone coming from the valley. Due to the distance, I’m assuming that you’re planning to come up the night before and acclimate in Flagstaff? We’ll have 3,000 feet to climb in a fairly short distance, so be prepared for hot spots and/or blisters. I’m still breaking in a new pair of hiking boots, so I might throw in my running shoes just in case. I just did 7.5 miles in my hiking boots and had a few hot spots, but no blisters. I’ll be carrying 96 ounces of water and Sarah will be carrying 64 ounces. Pack lots of high energy snack food and you should be good to go. 8)

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Buckeye, AZ
dieselenthusiast wrote:
eyehatetofu wrote:
June or July sounds good to me. Be a nice get-a-way from the PHX heat. A day hike would probably be best. I read on the summitpost website that camping / backpacking isn't allowed in the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. I'm not really set up for much backpacking either. I can hump 9.4 miles pretty well though; so the Snow Bowl route would be my first choice.



Snow Bowl sounds good to me. Sarah told me to tell you that she’s not very fast, so if you can tolerate her “slower pace,” then she would love to have you join us. Give me a couple of days and I’ll post some possible dates that would work for both of us.

Here are a few reminders for you or anyone else who might want to do future higher altitude summits. Since you’re coming from the valley, be sure to bring warm clothes since the temps could be in the 30’s, especially near the peak. We don’t have crampons so that’s the main reason why I’m pushing this trip to the end of June/first of July. Due to rain and/or snow showers, remember to bring an outer shell.

There will be significant elevation gains, especially for someone coming from the valley. Due to the distance, I’m assuming that you’re planning to come up the night before and acclimate in Flagstaff? We’ll have 3,000 feet to climb in a fairly short distance, so be prepared for hot spots and/or blisters. I’m still breaking in a new pair of hiking boots, so I might throw in my running shoes just in case. I just did 7.5 miles in my hiking boots and had a few hot spots, but no blisters. I’ll be carrying 96 ounces of water and Sarah will be carrying 64 ounces. Pack lots of high energy snack food and you should be good to go. 8)


Depending on the date, I will probably show up a day or two before. I work a pretty neat schedule that gives me 4 days off a week. I like hanging out in Flagg, so that should help me acclimate a bit. I have hiked at higher elevations around the state; it always gets me, but I know what I'm in for at least. And, I think I'm on the same page as Sarah; slow and steady.

As far as clothes and what not, I'll come prepared. My trail runners are well broken in, haven't had any trouble with them on longer trips. I have the appropriate clothes to layer as well. I'm a desert guy so as far as water, I'll be carrying as much as I can hold. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
eyehatetofu wrote:
Depending on the date, I will probably show up a day or two before. I work a pretty neat schedule that gives me 4 days off a week. I like hanging out in Flagg, so that should help me acclimate a bit.

Excellent!
eyehatetofu wrote:
I have hiked at higher elevations around the state; it always gets me, but I know what I'm in for at least. And, I think I'm on the same page as Sarah; slow and steady.

It's much more enjoyable when you slow down, take a breath and take in the views.
eyehatetofu wrote:
As far as clothes and what not, I'll come prepared. My trail runners are well broken in, haven't had any trouble with them on longer trips. I have the appropriate clothes to layer as well. I'm a desert guy so as far as water, I'll be carrying as much as I can hold. :mrgreen:

It sounds like you'll be ready!

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 195
Location: West Midlands. England
Wow ... what a brilliant thread/idea 8) .. you guys are so lucky to live in such a vast explorable country, I would join you in a heart beat if I could being an ex climber :D .. (only "ex-climber" cus my climb buddy moved away, and I had a motorcycle accident :( )

The wife and I are planning to check out all the remote, hidden away water falls in Wales in the near future :D

_________________
05, 2.8 CRD Sport (6 speed manual)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
eyehatetofu, what does Wednesday June 27th look like for you?

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:52 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5815
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
ando wrote:
Wow ... what a brilliant thread/idea 8)

Thank you! :mrgreen: I wish it was my idea but it's a common goal amongst those who are avid hikers and backpackers.
ando wrote:
you guys are so lucky to live in such a vast explorable country, I would join you in a heart beat if I could being an ex climber :D .. (only "ex-climber" cus my climb buddy moved away, and I had a motorcycle accident :( )

Yes, there's a lot of beautiful country in the United States of America. Sorry to hear about your motorcycle accident. Hopefully you can heal enough to be back on the trail again.
ando wrote:
The wife and I are planning to check out all the remote, hidden away water falls in Wales in the near future :D

Now that sounds like fun! Post up some pics when you do!

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 195
Location: West Midlands. England
Will do :wink: ... and I'll keep a eye on your wilderness exploits with jealousy 8)

_________________
05, 2.8 CRD Sport (6 speed manual)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hiking the highest points in each state
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Buckeye, AZ
dieselenthusiast wrote:
eyehatetofu, what does Wednesday June 27th look like for you?


I don't work during the week so Wednesday sounds perfect. I got to check with the ol' lady to be 100% sure, but that should be good. If I have anything going on I should be able to shuffle it around.

_________________
Image Get Out. Eject. Escape from the prison planet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com