It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knife in the Jeep gear bag - any legal issues?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Probably a weird topic, but it's been on my mind lately. Maybe someone here can help.

I put a bag of basic tools and things in the back of my Liberty. Mostly utility items (tire gauge, basic wrenches, flashlight, rope for tying stuff down, etc). But I also put a multitool and a folding knife in there, one with a 3.25" blade.

On the legal side of things, is this anything to worry about? What qualifies as a concealed weapon in a vehicle? If I'm ever pulled over (happens often, I have a heavy foot) do I need to disclose to an officer that I have a knife in the vehicle?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You will need to find out your local laws on this subject, and exactly how a weapon is defined.

In upstate NY, there is no requirement to disclose that you have a knife in your vehicle.

Post subject: Re: Knife in the Jeep gear bag - any legal issues?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i would consider it a tool after all its part of a mufti tool. i use to work in port everglades fl as a chef and i carried my knifes including a pocket knife that i kept on my belt for opening boxes. it was considered a tool however if your jeep is ever lurched i would say that there is a cutting tool in your gear box. if you just tell an officer that you have a weapon open you up to a search. however I am not in law enforcement and this is just what i would do.

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good question. Call your local law enforcement office. It varies soooooooo much by state.

I have my CCW License for Wisconsin. Here's what I can legally carry:
The license is for a ―weapon,‖ which is defined as a handgun, an electric weapon as defined in § 941.295(1c)(a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under § 941.24, or a billy club. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(1)(j).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, I have a Gerber hatchet, multi-tool, and large knife in my emergency kit.....I don't think I've really thought to much about it, but I should probablly check local laws and ordinances.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

I've had U.S. Customs pull out a hatchet and a less than six inch blade in a sheath from under my jeep seat during a search, and nothing was said. We were busy claiming work supplies inside, but it was moved, so I knew he saw it. Just my experience though. Then again, my friend had one old firecracker in his glovebox and got a fine for importing Fireworks into the state...So should check local laws and clean it out really well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also a good idea to check with your workplace. Some have anti-weapon policies and depending on your state, can enforce them as a firing offence. Although you may be perfectly within your rights legally, violating an enforceable policy is sometimes worse considering the consequences.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm 
LOST Member

Heh-heh. I actually spent a night in jail because I had a Gerber sheath knife in my glove box, which was discovered when a sheriff searched my car (without consent, BTW). I was on another's private property four-wheeling so I was already breaking a law which opened the door to a search. Anyway, I honestly didn't think it would be a problem so I said "no" when asked if I had any weapons. Thinking I had nothing to worry about, I declined his offer to search my vehicle. When he goes through the truck and finds it, I get nailed with possession of a concealed deadly weapon (it was out of his eyesight in the glovebox) and also charged with possession of an illegal weapon--a dagger. It was considered a dagger because it had a serrated edge as well as a straight edge.

Knife charges were later dropped and I pleaded guilty to misdemeanor trespassing.

Moral of the story--I got in hot water because the (illegal, scary-looking knife) was in the glovebox. I don't think a folding knife in a toolbag is anything to worry about--very defendable in court. However, in the field, LE has a lot of latitude to make your life difficult. I know someone who got nailed with a deadly weapons charge due to a bow in his backseat. My subsequent police contacts have always been very courteous and I always let them know about the Spyderco in my pocket when asked about weapons. Disclosing that seems to indicate that I'm one of the "good guys" and makes the encounter a lot friendlier.

If you are thinking about concealed carry, that's a different story. I'd also read the Internet about weapons definitions in various jurisdictions if you're planning on strapping a sheath knife to your leg. Or carrying a bow in the back seat.

Have fun on your trip.

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

A lot has to do with the size and style of the blade as well as concealed disclosure laws for each state. Legal heat has a great app that gives you carry laws for each state and what is considered a concealed weapon. You also have to consider if you are on federal/state/government land. You can CC in a national/state park but not in the buildings such as ranger stations or park gift shops. Without CC you can't carry or transport within 1000 feet of a school which means even driving down the road in front of the school.

The biggest thing to remember is that you are responsible for finding this information on your own, ignorance is not a defense.

Oh you just added a loud muffler to your Honda?
It must be REALLY fast now!
2011 Jeep Liberty Sport
1970 VW Baja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Two things. It isn't a concealed weapon if you need to get out of the vehicle to retrieve it. If accessible to you, in Ohio, it isn't a weapon if the blade is less than 2.5" unless you brandish it.

So, in the cargo area you are fine; backseat, console or glovebox, not so much.

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:39 am 
LOST Junkie

This is a very interesting conversation. The fact that it's necessary shows how dumb some of our laws are.

For instance, if you HAD to defend yourself, which would be better: The 2" blade on your Leatherman, or a tire iron? Which one might be considered on the iffy side as a weapon?

How many of us DON'T have a tire iron in our Jeep? :D

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 am 
LOST Junkie

I think the problem with a knife in the glovebox was that it was in the reach of the driver. Did you know that in most states/provinces you can have a cooler full of beer in your vehicle as long as it isn't within reach of the driver?

I've always considered that its illegal in any state or province to carry a knife in public that is longer that is four inches in length (the width of your hand). However if you're in the woods hunting I imagine you're allowed a bigger one.

Regarding having large knives in the back of your Jeep, I often have a two foot long machete in the back of mine. I use it for trail cleaning.

sent from my Galaxy SIII & Tapatalk4 beta

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 am 
LOST Addict

Where do you live exactly because most every state has a size range on knives that they consider concealed weapons. Like SC is 3 inches blade base to blade tip. But most officers don't care about them as long as they cant see them or they arent within visable reach.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

profdlp wrote:
This is a very interesting conversation. The fact that it's necessary shows how dumb some of our laws are.

For instance, if you HAD to defend yourself, which would be better: The 2" blade on your Leatherman, or a tire iron? Which one might be considered on the iffy side as a weapon?

How many of us DON'T have a tire iron in our Jeep? :D

Actually you can even get a little more creative in the must have items you carry in your vehicle. For instance did you know oven cleaner does a great job removing grease and grime from your engine? The beautiful thing is it can be sprayed at a distance of about 10-15 feet, that way you don't have to get right on top of your engine to clean it. Don't spray it in your eyes or face though because it can mess you up. I always make my wife carry some in her vehicle just in case she needs to clean her engine while on the side of the road, I just love a clean engine.

I think the actual point of this thread was having a knife in your vehicle. We can't trust common sense or the authorities, not that they are bad - God bless them they are just doing their job, you better know the laws of the state your in, the state your going to and every state along the way because they are not consistent. I now make this a part of my route preparation because I don't want to become Bubba's girl friend because I had a pocket knife where I shouldn't.

Oh you just added a loud muffler to your Honda?
It must be REALLY fast now!
2011 Jeep Liberty Sport
1970 VW Baja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Here in the netherlands the law states that any knifes or axes should not be within arms reach while driving, so I keep mine in a chest in the trunk, guns arent allowed but weapons like crossbows may be kept in the car but needs to be dismantled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:55 am 
LOST Junkie

A crossbow might come in handy. A Møøse once bit my sister...

(Two Euros for you if you get it - and welcome to LOST!) :wink:

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System