It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building an Expedition Style KJ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you build it yourself ? If so do a how too.

Post subject: Re: Building an Expedition Style KJ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WHITE the civilian, nice trailer. And, I'm sure you have a lot of good tips, thoughts, and planning ideas based on your experience. Very nicely done.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 am 
LOST Junkie

Nice job - I would love to read a recap of your trip and the many things you must have learned along the way. Doing something like that is a dream of mine. :D

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We just ordered the RL Gecko Basket Rack. I'm looking forward to getting it installed. Here's what it will look like:

For those who are considering a rooftop tent, you can't go wrong with the RL Gecko Sport Rack. This platform would be perfect for a rooftop tent and should hold plenty of weight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm 
LOST Member

I would suggest test fitting before you paint/powder coat it. Two of my rear bolt holes didn't line up and had to drill one larger and one almost was a new hole entirely. This was a couple years ago so I would think he fixed the issue.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CIMARRON13 wrote:
I would suggest test fitting before you paint/powder coat it. Two of my rear bolt holes didn't line up and had to drill one larger and one almost was a new hole entirely. This was a couple years ago so I would think he fixed the issue.

;)What, how can that be RL is perfect. And the Jig is perfect too. You must have a one of a kind KJ /KK or you installed it wrong.
Sarcasm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CIMARRON13 wrote:

I'm planning to have Rock Lizard help for that very reason. If I remember correctly, I don't think the problem was on Rock Lizard's end. I could be wrong, but I think he said that his jig wouldn't allow for differences. After a few test fittings they learned that the holes were slightly different on various KJ's. As an example, a rack would test fit perfectly on one Jeep and be transferred to another and the holes would be off. At this point in time, I'm planning to have the basket rack Line-x'd.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:15 pm 
LOST Member

I completely forgot I posted in this thread, my trailer is for sale. Pm for more info!

I bought it from my "old" army boss/friend - I think he has an account on lost and it may be combat truck monkey.

The trailer has 245/75r16 kumho kl78's, cragar 8's and the side utility boxes were custom made. The center/main compartment is made of plywood and marine grade products for waterproofyness.

A big concern is that if you're out traveling by yourself in any vehicle with a trailer, weight is key. Those all steel single axel army trailers are a terrible idea because of how heavy they ARE! A recovery point (shackle for me) on the rear of the trailer connected to a frame support base that runs straight into the pintle hook will ensure you can be pulled in a straight line with no weaknesses.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am 
LOST Addict

That trailer and the tires on it look sooooooooooo good! :wink:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:24 am 
LOST Member

WHITE the civilian wrote:
I just finished my 6,000 + mile trip from Buffalo N.Y to Anchorage Alaska with my "off road utility trailer". The trailer grosses 490 lbs, the ability to easily carry 40 gallons of fuel/water plus every possible tent (cabelas geodesic dome tent), fold up chairs, kayaks, grills, several propane tanks, water filtration equipment and a full kitchenette.

Made a pit stop in the California redwoods and drove threw a few trees

this......is EPIC.......a simple well thought out low profile , LIGHT, small, trailer. I'd buy one.....

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine is kind of set up like that. Im adding a rear bumper with two jeep cans soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:11 pm 
LOST Member

CRD Joe, is that an ARB awning? I like the idea, but out of my budget range from what I remember.

I made a simple tarp awning accomplishing the same thing. I only set it up when needed. I also have an umbrella that fits into my receiver hitch that works quite good.

I've also fabed a table that hooks onto the top of the bumper and has folding legs for my camp stove.

Also have an Edgestar refrigerator strapped down inside. (backs of the rear seat have been removed)

I'd like a trailer of some type but traveling back roads and rocky 4x4 trails would be a real pain.

But all those umbrellas / awnings are not good for windy days, as you can imagine.

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II, "Provent"(custom) +++

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:20 pm 
LOST Member

Man haven't been here in ages but I gotta say that's a nice set up. I'm at the point of rebuild the kj or move on. Its been good to me for the past 14 years but I think I need something bigger for the family. I thought a trailer and a roof top might fix the issue but the kids are at a age they need more space. Might try the roof top and trailer combo till I figure it out.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s