It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Going off the grid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CIMARRON13 wrote:
Are you putting in a hand pump on the well in case of power outage?

Since my static water level is at 105' feet, then I do have the option to use a deep well hand pump. The long-term goal is yes; however, the short-term answer is installing a solar/electric pump. I can run the solar pump directly off the panels or I can run it directly off AC power. There are 4 ways to get water from a well:

1. Well bucket https://www.lehmans.com/p-1384-lehmans- ... ucket.aspx
2. Hand Pump http://www.bisonpumps.com/
3. Solar Power
4. Electric power (generator, batteries, grid)

Here's the hand pump that I'm considering: http://50.31.99.10/~bison2/deep-well-hand-pump

Here's the solar pump that I'm considering: http://www.solar-electric.com/grsqpu.html

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We're currently on hold for a 120 waiting period before we can do anything to the property. The 120 day waiting period started when we got the well drilled. Banking policies are crazy now these days.

"The property must remain undisturbed, meaning no work of any kind can proceed, until the title company has inspected the site, searched the title and issued a commitment."

"You will need a construction checking account for disbursements. Your 20% equity contribution needs to be deposited to that account and will be utilized for construction, prior to loan proceeds."

"You need to plan on monthly payments of the accrued interest during the project. There must be a documented source for these payment."

"The construction period is 18 months. You will be expected to have a licensed contractor for the project, and that contractor needs to be approved by the bank. In order for your appraiser to accurately provide an "as completed" estimate of value, the contractor will need to provide a detailed listing of materials for the construction and a copy of the detailed construction plans."

"Your construction budget will include a contingency feature, at least 5%."

"Construction insurance is required for the duration of that phase."

"You will need a documented "take out commitment" from your permanent lender, or approval for that loan from us."

"A minimum of four inspections will be performed during the construction to confirm construction is proceeding as planned. Normally there is a fee for each, usually averaging around $150 per inspection."

So, I'm back to cutting trees, clearing property, and hauling brush on the 5 acres adjacent to the 5 acres that I can't touch! :banghead:

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Tue May 14, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What a crock!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Megalos wrote:
What a crock!

Yep, but I have to remain optimistic or else it's easy to get discouraged. In order to do this, I have to keep making progress. I’m raking up all the pine needles and fallen branches so we can expand the mowing. We’ve got 10 acres of land, so this will keep me busy. We want to get as much grass to grow as possible. Our goal is to raise alpaca in the future. Plus, I want to clear enough land to grow clover, alfalfa, and other high nectar producing plants for our honeybees.

Before we mowed:

After we mowed:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Is it my imagination or are the pine trees in straight rows? It's a beautiful piece of property you've got there. :D

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:35 am 
LOST Junkie

dieselenthusiast wrote:
...I have to remain optimistic or else it's easy to get discouraged. In order to do this, I have to keep making progress...

Good attitude. There are a lot of people who could do something like this, the trouble is that most of them give up. It looks like you're on the way to doing something really special.

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
Is it my imagination or are the pine trees in straight rows?

I see where you're getting that, but no, the trees are at random. Some of our trees were crowded. The Forest Service has recommended to keep Ponderosa Pines 15' feet apart from each other. I'm going to guess that we've cut 20 trees or so.

lfhoward wrote:
It's a beautiful piece of property you've got there. :D

Thank you. It's a good fit for us.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

profdlp wrote:
Good attitude. There are a lot of people who could do something like this, the trouble is that most of them give up. It looks like you're on the way to doing something really special.

It might take us several years, but resiliency is the key. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wanted to give an update. As you guys know, we were waiting for the 120 day title policy waiting period. The 120 day waiting period has expired now, which allows us to move forward. With that being said, we have decided to postpone construction until Spring. By the time the title company has completed their due diligence on the research of the property, and completed their site visit, and the bank receives an acceptable title commitment and clearance; valuable time would be lost. After that, we still would need to complete the loan approval and booking process.

In the meantime, and before the title commitment can be ordered, we needed to complete the bank application, loan amount determination, copy of contractor's bid and the contractor's qualifications. The bid and the loan-to-value determination has been reviewed. The next step is to order an appraisal for each parcel, pull a building permit, and get builder risk insurance before the contractor starts in the Spring.

There are three reasons why I wanted to delay construction until Spring. #1, There is not enough time to get this built before winter hits. We are doing a monolithic pour, and the contractor said that we need to pour no later than October. The stars in the Universe would have to align in hopes to have all the paperwork finished and the site prepared before October. #2, I really wanted to be on site everyday, with the contractor, building this structure. I have all of June and July and the first week of August off. As of now, I go back to work in three weeks. #3, I like to know that I have a lot of time to get this done, and done right. If I feel pressured, I tend to back off. Well, I feel the pressure of time, so I'm backing off 9 months.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:55 am 
LOST Junkie

I know the red tape on this type of thing can take what seems like ages. I think you're wise to wait and do it right, rather than rush it through and possibly end up regretting it.

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

profdlp wrote:
I know the red tape on this type of thing can take what seems like ages. I think you're wise to wait and do it right, rather than rush it through and possibly end up regretting it.

This is my first home to build, and although I feel well informed and prepared, I have learned that there’s a lot that has to happen that is out of my hands. The easiest and most affordable route to home building is to pay as you go. Unfortunately, taking out a construction loan is the most feasible for us. And when you pull a loan, there are many strings attached.

I spent a good portion of the summer clearing property, hauling brush, and stacking firewood. It wasn’t a wasteful summer by any means, but I could have had the meter pole in, electricity ran, trenches dug, underground well house finished, well pump installed, pressure tank installed, and two yard hydrants installed. The 120 day waiting period really put a kink in how things progressed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Beautiful! Your new home will have been worth it when it finally comes to pass. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking great!!

Just went through this process myself. Getting a construction loan was difficult, but I had a great local contractor who new everyone in the county and was able to navigate the maze of permits and inspectors with very little pain on our part. Only part that was painful was having the well drilled. I ended up with 195 ft well, was expecting a 30 ft well. Lesson learned, don't hire a well driller that owes a bunch of money on his rig. We didn't have a waiting period. Started demolition in August and closed on February 1st a y.ear ago.
Here's a picture of my new place

I've been looking at that bison deep well pump as well. looks like a quality product.

Good luck with the construction.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:36 am 
LOST Junkie

bugnout wrote:
...Lesson learned, don't hire a well driller that owes a bunch of money on his rig...

The last time I hired someone for a job like that I suspected that he would finally be "done" once he'd paid off the braces on his kids' teeth. I think he had six kids... :?

Quote:

Ditto. Someday it will have all been worth it.

PS: beautiful place, bugnout! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
Just went through this process myself. Getting a construction loan was difficult, but I had a great local contractor who new everyone in the county and was able to navigate the maze of permits and inspectors with very little pain on our part..

I'm in the process of getting bids from contractors. I asked 3 contractors for a bid, however, I'm unsure if all three will produce one. They all acted interested, but we'll see what happens. Two of the three contractors said they could pull all the necessary permits and move fairly quickly due to the same reasons you mentioned above.

bugnout wrote:
Only part that was painful was having the well drilled. I ended up with 195 ft well, was expecting a 30 ft well. Lesson learned, don't hire a well driller that owes a bunch of money on his rig.

Do you think the driller over drilled? Were you there when he drilled?

Living here in the mountains, wells are at different depths. In general, 350' - 450' feet seems to be typical in my area, especially down in the valley where I'm at. Wells are much deeper near the sandstone cliffs. I've seen wells as deep as 1,000 feet. I spent a lot of time dowsing our property in hopes to hit a fissure. We budgeted $8,000 dollars. The total cost was $7,327 with tax. We were blessed that it worked in our favor and within our financial parameters, otherwise, we would have needed to takeout a loan from the bank.

bugnout wrote:
We didn't have a waiting period. Started demolition in August and closed on February 1st a year ago.

When you say demolition, are you meaning that ground work was started to build your place, or did you gut out an existing structure and remodel it?

bugnout wrote:

Here's a picture of my new place

Looks nice! If I remember correctly, this is a place for part-time use, right? You are not living there fulltime?

bugnout wrote:
I've been looking at that bison deep well pump as well. looks like a quality product.

They are a very nice product and have very little working parts. In a doomsday world, they would do the job well. Ultimately, I would like to install a well pump that could accommodate both A/C and solar. Then install the hand well as a backup system.

bugnout wrote:

I don't believe in luck bugnout, but I do appreciate your words of kindness! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Do you think the driller over drilled? Were you there when he drilled?

I think he passed water at 25 feet and 90 feet. Most of the wells around here are 25-200 feet deep. The older wells are the shallow wells. I had a 25 foot well with 2" casing that I decided to abandon because it would have been in the foot print of the new building. The contractor said he could try to save it, but they estimated that it would cost additional to try to save it and couldn't guarantee that the well wouldn't collapse with the heavy equipment needed to dig the basement. Might end up having to dig a new well anyway.

Driller started drilling a week before I expected and didn't call me until he was at 140 ft (50 feet into the granite layer) to ask my permission to go deeper because he wasn't getting adequate refill rate. Hindsight being 20/20, I think I should have contracted a driller who specialized in 4" wells. They typically have much smaller and older (paid for) rigs. The guys doing 6" wells don't see it as worth while to bring their big rigs out without drilling 100 foot minimum. In the end, I got 190 foot well with the last 100 foot in bare granite, casing drivin 3ft into the rock. static water level in the well is 25 feet. Water is as good if not better than the old well and its coming from a much more ancient aquifer. I'm not unhappy except for spending more than I had budgeted.

dieselenthusiast wrote:
When you say demolition, are you meaning that ground work was started to build your place, or did you gut out an existing structure and remodel it?

Rebuilt in place. The property had a 1920's summer cabin on it when we bought it. I spent a few summers fixing it up. When the septic system failed the county told us we couldn't fix it. Had to replace it farther from the lake. In addition, the state was going to change the building rules and require us to rebuild farther back from the lake. All factors combined to push us toward rebuilding earlier than we had planned. We always planned to move to the forest, this just pushed us to take the next step towards that dream.

Original building was around 600 sq ft, and the rules allowed us to build in a 1000 sq ft print. New building is about 2600 sq feet total, basement, main floor and loft plus a detached 24x24 garage. We plan on moving up there year round in the next 3 to 5 years

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I don't believe in luck bugnout, but I do appreciate your words of kindness! :D

Couldn't agree with you more. Opportunity favors the prepared.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was on the property today clearing more brush and trees. I came across seven mule deer on the property as I was driving out. Here's about the best picture that I got:

Last Saturday a friend of mine, who was working about 1/2 mile down the road, saw a black bear. The bear just watched him work for about 15 minutes before slumbering off.

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice size Deer. Get any snow yet?

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kskj wrote:
Nice size Deer. Get any snow yet?

We've had snow/rain mixture at our elevation. The higher elevations are snow capped.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The property appraisal came in. To increase the line of credit, it was suggested that we may want to consider combining the two properties to increase equity into the project. I paid $700 for the appraisal, so I'm hoping the bank will accept my current appraisal for the adjacent property and deduct the cost of the well rather than paying for another appraisal. We'll see how long this juggling act goes on.
:juggle:

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next