It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: M116A3 off-road camper build
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 pm 
LOST Addict

profdlp wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:
When you're finished with the trailer, you should video (virtual tour) the inside and outside...

Great suggestion! :)

That is a great idea! Remind me later if I don't remember to do that.

Today was raining or threatening rain, so I worked on smaller self contained projects that I could do in the shop or during dry spells.

- Made the interior edge molding for the rear door out of aluminum, dry fit it, drilled and installed screws. It needs to come off one more time to Sikaflex underneath the trim. I ran out of trim screws partway through, so another trip to Fastenal is in order.
- Cut out 1/16 or so of aluminum door jamb molding to adjust the strike plate towards the outside. The door latch closes nice and tight now.
- Increased the rear window trim ring tightness to sandwich the butyl putty tape down a little tighter and make sure the window is really waterproof.
- Installed the fantastic fan on the roof, including waterproofing with butyl putty tape.
- Installed a large vent cover over the top of the fantastic fan so the fan lid can be opened in the rain.
- Tidied up the wiring going to and from the Blue Sea fuse panel. It can no longer be described as a plate of spaghetti!
The fuse panel has 6 circuits:
1- LED lights (3A fuse)
2- fantastic fan (5A fuse)
3- port power outlet (15A fuse)
4- starboard power outlet (15A fuse)
5- solar charge controller (10A fuse)
6- battery charger (30A fuse)
- Started to replace a side marker light that I accidentally smashed, but ran out of daylight. I'll finish that tomorrow. These are the cheap $5 trailer lights from the auto parts store. Someday I might spring for the indestructible military issue side marker lights, but they are like $28 a piece!
- Repaired a crack in one of the solar panel wire connectors using RTV gasket maker.
- Got tired of losing things in my shop and spending too long looking for everything, so I organized my workbench. Found stuff I forgot I had!

This week's to do list:

Make and install trim rings for the two front windows
Skin exterior side walls with aluminum
Install RV edge moldings where the walls meet the roof
Install side windows
Skin and make edge moldings for side utility doors, and then install those
After this, the trailer should be weatherproof!

Fix side marker light
Take the trailer to be inspected

At this point the trailer will work as a cargo hauler, but it still needs an interior to become a camper:

Window frames/sills and curtains
Cedar planking on the walls
Birch plywood on the ceiling
Folding benches that convert into a queen size bed frame
Cabinet and folding shelf in the rear corners, and book/glasses shelf along the front wall
Light switches, voltage readout, and power outlets

And it needs the solar panel installed on the roof.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I didn't have a full day to work on the trailer today but did make some progress:
- replaced the broken side marker light (in time for my PA inspection appointment tomorrow morning)
- cut out and dry fitted the lower side walls
That last part was tricky since the trailer bed and fenders are not actually square or level, so there was much time spent measuring and remeasuring before cutting! The panels are tacked in place temporarily and do not yet have the utility doors cut out of them.

Here are a couple of up to date pics:

It's nice to see the trailer sits fairly level when hooked up to the Jeep, and the KK's JBA 4 inch lifted springs can carry the tongue weight without losing too much height. Having the trailer hooked up only eliminates the Jeep's forward rake. I have no idea what the trailer weighs now, but when it's done I'll take it to a truck stop and park it on a scale. It started out at 1000 lbs and has a 3150 lb GVRW rating.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

The update today is that the inspection passed and the trailer is legal for another year. :BANANA:

I didn't know if the old GMC pickup truck tires I had on it were going to pass, but I know they will need replacing at some point soon because there isn't a lot of tread left. I'm waiting to hear back from Craigslist about some 265/75/16 Duratracs, and I've also located a used pair of BFG Traction TA's in 245/75/16 (same size as on my Jeep).

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
The update today is that the inspection passed and the trailer is legal for another year. :BANANA:

I didn't know if the old GMC pickup truck tires I had on it were going to pass, but I know they will need replacing at some point soon because there isn't a lot of tread left. I'm waiting to hear back from Craigslist about some 265/75/16 Duratracs, and I've also located a used pair of BFG Traction TA's in 245/75/16 (same size as on my Jeep).

Win!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Having a lot of metal on it now makes a huge difference! For one, it lifts my morale. For another, I am less worried for the occasional rain shower (although water could still get in on the sides through the open window holes). I think it also strengthens the structure a lot.

I have a week long camping trip for work (forest ecologist!) coming up on Monday, and I'm hoping to have the trailer campable by Sunday night. For me, that means waterproof with working windows. The next steps in the next couple of days will be to fasten the lower side metal onto the camper, then cut and fasten the upper side metal and install the Edge moldings and windows. I will cut out the side utility doors at a later date, because I don't have time to do all the trim work on them before I leave. The electrical system works, with the exception of the solar panel which is not yet installed. With 3 batteries topped off at home, I should be able to last 5 days, which is the length of this trip. The inside is spartan and unfinished, but no worries! Still better than a tent!

Today's update is the following:
- installed the interior edge moldings on the rear door, along with an inner layer of weatherstripping. The door is officially rain proof now. (I hope!)
- moved the door catch out 1/16 of an inch (again) to accommodate the weatherstripping. Note to self: on your next trailer, install the door catch for the first time after installing all the door trim and weatherstripping!
- installed the rear porch light. It's nice to be able to see out there at night, and it really lights up the area well.
- in collaboration with my wife, picked out and purchased curtain material at the fabric store! She will be making the curtains for all 5 windows, and they will be held on to the window frames with 3/4 inch Velcro strips.
- trimmed blobs of dried, squeezed out Sikaflex from the roof panel edges in preparation for installing the side panels.
- covered it with the tarp, as rain is predicted overnight. It won't be long before I won't have to worry about the tarp anymore!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You need to tow the trailer out here to New Mexico one of these days for vacation! I want to see this thing in person!

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:30 pm 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
You need to tow the trailer out here to New Mexico one of these days for vacation! I want to see this thing in person!

Thanks, Diesel! It is actually a dream of my wife and me to be able to take a summer and do a western trip. We want to visit a number of national parks, maybe travel out west on the southern route, up the coast, and return on the northern route. I think it would be a blast to meet up if and when we make the trip!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Today was full on trailer skinning. I got 4 panels fabricated/installed today, two on each side. I also installed the side windows. For the first time the trailer is waterproof without a tarp (thanks to aluminum + Sikaflex caulk).

Actually, I still need to make and install edge moldings where the sides meet the roof (for better waterproofing), as well as fabricate trim rings for the front two windows. Those are tomorrow's to-do's, in between predicted scattered thundershowers. If I can get those two things done, the trailer will be useable for my camping/work trip on Mon-Fri!

After returning from my camping trip, I hope to get a few improvements done before my next 3-week outing on the 20th. These include:
- installing the solar panel on the roof
- installing the side utility doors (I didn't cut them out of the metal siding yet so the trailer will be waterproof in the meantime.)
- beginning to make the interior of the camper (lots to do there)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, 5 weeks later, here's an update:
I've been using the trailer for field work, both as a cargo hauler and as a camper! It's not finished but it is campable, which means it's waterproof and the electrical works! Here are a few shots of it on duty:

A couple of things that might be apparent from the photos:
No roof edge moldings yet. Silaflex is doing the job temporarily.
No solar panel yet.
No side utility doors yet.
And you couldn't tell from these pics, but there is no interior yet either.

These things will come with time! For now it gets the job done.

Here's what I'm up to this summer. I'm working on reconstructing the forest fire history of several sites in western Maryland by counting the tree rings on fire-scarred trees. Using live and dead trees, the record can usually be figured out back at least 200 but sometimes 400+ years.

A section with a scar removed from a live tree (which should recover and go on living):

A bunch of sections all wrapped up and ready to make the trip to the lab:

The Jeep and all the equipment at the end of a long work day:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, I'm impressed! I especially like the mud flaps on the trailer!

I've seen something similar to what you're doing using Douglas Firs. We have some of the oldest Douglas Firs on earth, some I believe date back to 700 years. Anyway, they take cutouts to determine the weather cycle and moisture patterns.

Let me ask you this: If you were to replace your Liberty and buy another vehicle today, what would you buy? The reason I ask is because we have a project called the Zuni Mountain Bee Project. We locate and catch survival wild bees and incorporate them into our queen bee breeding program. As you can imagine, we drive in very rural mountainous terrain on roads that are rarely maintained. There are enough cattle ranchers throughout the area who use dozers, graders, and other large equipment to keep some of the main roads clear for their trucks and trailers. But to be honest, a Ram ecodiesel has better ground clearance than most Jeeps and can tow larger loads. The Ram is a little larger than I would like, but 30 - 35 mpg would be nice compared to what I get with my two Jeeps. A Wrangler, Renegade, and Patriot can't tow much. And with some of the slow grades that I have to tow, overheating could be a problem, especially at this elevation where there is no humidity and the air is thin. This situation leaves me in a conundrum. I'm thinking about buying either another Ram Cummins, or a Ram Ecodiesel, or wait for the Wrangler diesel or Jeep truck diesel to come out. Anyway, now that you're towing, it would be interesting to know what you would do different (if anything). The KJ/KK 3.7L is pretty gutless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for following my trailer build, Diesel! That's cool about there being 700 year old Doug firs out where you are. If the dead trees with fire scars don't decay too quickly, the record could go back much farther too. You're right that the tree ring record can be used for many other things besides fire ecology, like climate reconstruction. I would like to learn how to do that someday. There is often a connection between climate and fire patterns on the landscape.

As for your question about towing: I have noticed that Jeepy struggles when towing up hills, and I get about 10-12 mpg on the highway while towing the trailer on the flat. I have been thinking about doing a cross country trip with the trailer at some point, thinking about visiting some National Parks next summer, but I do wonder if the Liberty would be up to it. After towing over the Appalachians, I have to wonder if I would make it over the Rockies. I would have to take it slow.

I think there are some good options out there if you are thinking of a pickup for towing. I've never owned anything other than Mopar, so a Ram V8 or Ecodiesel would be an attractive option for me. I love the mileage of the diesel but worry about the soot it would produce since I live in an urban area. But there are a couple other of trucks that I've had my eye on too. The new aluminum bodied Ford F-150's get much better mileage than their predecessors. I would want to test drive the new Ecoboost turbo V6's, but they are supposed to be nearly comparable to V8's. The other truck that I like the looks of (but also have no direct experience with) is the new Chevy Colorado. It's a mid size pickup but I think a V8 is available. It would be a good option if a full size pickup is more truck than you need/want. Of course Tacomas have a good reputation too, but I have too many friends and family in Michigan not to buy American! :-)

I'm waiting to see the new Jeep pickup when it comes out too. Like the Fords, aren't the new Wranglers going to be aluminum-bodied? And if they offered a diesel too, they might be a real contender for towing. Is your red KJ a CRD or a gasser?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:35 am 

lfhoward wrote:
The other truck that I like the looks of (but also have no direct experience with) is the new Chevy Colorado. It's a mid size pickup but I think a V8 is available.

The Chevy Colorado is a nice mid-size truck, my son bought a Z71 last year with the V6 motor and loves it. They do not offer a V8 engine, only a 2.5 I-4 cylinder and a 3.6 V6 both gassers... But they do offer a 2.8 Duramax diesel and so far it has gotten good reviews... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
Thanks for following my trailer build, Diesel!
You're welcome. I love following anything that is RV, camping, outdoors, towing, Jeep, and diesel related. :mrgreen:

lfhoward wrote:
That's cool about there being 700 year old Doug firs out where you are. If the dead trees with fire scars don't decay too quickly, the record could go back much farther too. You're right that the tree ring record can be used for many other things besides fire ecology, like climate reconstruction. I would like to learn how to do that someday. There is often a connection between climate and fire patterns on the landscape.

Yes, when looking at the fire rings (core samples) on the Douglas Firs, scientists have seen cyclical patterns of extreme drought, extreme moisture, and everything in-between. Right now we are very dry in the southwest. As a beekeeper, I see the difference in the amount of excess honey I can harvest from each hive. During years of good moisture, we see wildflowers earlier. And those same flowers will often times bloom much longer. The concentration of a variety and the number of each variety are also increased.

lfhoward wrote:
As for your question about towing: I have noticed that Jeepy struggles when towing up hills, and I get about 10-12 mpg on the highway while towing the trailer on the flat. I have been thinking about doing a cross country trip with the trailer at some point, thinking about visiting some National Parks next summer, but I do wonder if the Liberty would be up to it. After towing over the Appalachians, I have to wonder if I would make it over the Rockies. I would have to take it slow. ?

If the truth be told, the Jeep KJ/KK 3.7L was not intended for much highway towing. The engine and transmission just isn't built for it. Towing 2,000 lbs. to the nearest lake would be fine. Towing small loads around the farm and ranch are fine. But heavier loads (2,000 + lbs.) out on the highway with hills and mountainous terrain is too much. Can it do it? Yes. But just because it can doesn't mean it should.

lfhoward wrote:
I think there are some good options out there if you are thinking of a pickup for towing. I've never owned anything other than Mopar, so a Ram V8 or Ecodiesel would be an attractive option for me. I love the mileage of the diesel but worry about the soot it would produce since I live in an urban area. But there are a couple other of trucks that I've had my eye on too. The new aluminum bodied Ford F-150's get much better mileage than their predecessors. I would want to test drive the new Ecoboost turbo V6's, but they are supposed to be nearly comparable to V8's. The other truck that I like the looks of (but also have no direct experience with) is the new Chevy Colorado. It's a mid size pickup but I think a V8 is available. It would be a good option if a full size pickup is more truck than you need/want. Of course Tacomas have a good reputation too, but I have too many friends and family in Michigan not to buy American! :-)

Newer diesel trucks and cars no longer expel much soot. Even my 2006 Ram Cummins doesn't expel much soot. In my opinion, it's hard to beat the Ram Ecodiesel. The fuel economy, payload, and towing capacity is awesome. Ford and GM are doing all that they can to keep up with Ram.

lfhoward wrote:
I'm waiting to see the new Jeep pickup when it comes out too. Like the Fords, aren't the new Wranglers going to be aluminum-bodied? And if they offered a diesel too, they might be a real contender for towing. Is your red KJ a CRD or a gasser?

Yes, I've been wanting to see the new Jeep truck, too. I would be interested in their diesel option. The new Wranglers will have some aluminum in them, but they will not be fully aluminum. Ford is doing what they can to save weight and keep up with Ram in fuel economy. But when comparing truck to truck and trim package to trim package, the Ram is cheaper.

My KJ is a 3.7L gasser. It's a good jeep, but it can't handle the mountainous terrain very well. As a matter of fact, the Jeep Cherokee XJ does a better job than the KJ in terms of handling the mountainous terrain. Since we're seriously considering buying the Ram ecodiesel, we have decided to sell the Cherokee, which now has over 200,000 miles on the odometer. We have used the Cherokee to access our beehives which are located throughout the Zuni Mountains which is getting costly due to fuel consumption. I'm guessing that the ecodiesel would nearly double the fuel consumption of the Cherokee, which would save us a few hundred dollars each month just in fuel. But we have grown our bee operation to the point that we now need a truck to carry all of the equipment. And in some cases, we will be towing a trailer to carry hive equipment, large hive stands, and bear fences and cages.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

I'm almost ready to build the convertible side benches that become a queen bed platform, but before I can start that I needed to finish some electrical work that goes underneath. Here are some photos from that task.

I installed courtesy lights and switches in each utility cabinet, even though there are no doors yet to open the cabinets from the outside of the trailer. You can see where these utility doors will go if you look up an earlier picture of the outside of the build.

Starboard utility cabinet (with solar charge controller, general kitchen cupboard space):

Port utility cabinet (with onboard battery charger, inverter, BlueSea fuse panel):

Dashboard area with outlets and reading lights temporarily tacked into place. The dashboard will contain a wire raceway to hide the wires you see here, and the outlets and reading lights will be flush mounted. This is a temporary setup to get me back out camping next week:

Reading lights on (led replacement bulbs on order to reduce amperage draw; reading and courtesy lights are on a different fuse than the interior ceiling lights in case I need to replace a fuse at night):

And the rest of the electrical for completeness... The solar charge meter and the remote inverter switch, along with the switches for the interior and exterior porch lights:

Interior led light and Fantastic Fan:

Rear led light plus a view of the back door. The interior will one day be clad in the same cedar paneling that the back door has now:

And of course all the wiring will be hidden in the ceiling, under the benches, in the dashboard raceway, and behind cedar paneling.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Finish work is always fun to do. Although, I do know some construction guys who would rather frame a house than do the finish work and I know others who would rather do finish work than frame a house. I love detail which makes the finish work fun to plan and execute.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:21 am 
LOST Addict

Update before I head back out into the field tomorrow: I have the convertible benches finished.

Cargo mode with the benches stowed:

There are notches in the side for cross rails, which are made of oak and very strong:

The front 1/3 of the bed platform can be deployed separately. That way, it can act as a third bench, or a place to stow the Ikea mattress (rolled up) while making the rear 2/3 of the trailer available for either cargo or living space.

Here is how it would look as living space, with the side benches open for sitting. I would like to find or make a collapsible small table that can go in the center, which could stow under the front bed platform.

Bed slats in place. The slats stow behind the benches when not in use.

And the bed platform fully deployed. Now I will be able to have an actual bed instead of a sleeping bag on the floor!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's coming together nicely. I bet that trailer is starting to get porky. How much do you think it weighs as of right now?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:32 am 
LOST Addict

Looks good Lauren. I like all the progress.

Diesel, if you want my :2cents: on the whole work truck/tow rig, I'd wait a year to see what Jeep comes out with as far as trucks and diesels. From what I've seen the Ram 1500 eco-diesels are pretty nice. Problem is, in my area they hold a premium at dealers, and only comes fully loaded. At that price point you might as well get a Cummins powered 2500. I know the 3500s will get almost 20mpg towing almost 8k lbs at 80mph in the mountains out West. A 2500 can't be much different.

I know the new GM Canyon/Colorada has a diesel option (again, you're looking at a 40-50k price tag for a 1/4 ton. Might as well go buy a 1/2-3/4 ton for a little more...) in a small package. Don't know how well they tow or anything though.

I wouldn't bother looking at Ford, they lay it all down on their turbo 6s. I'm too old school to buy that. Never looked at the power band, but turbos (especially on gas motors) need rpm to spool up. The hardest part about towing is stopping and starting, can't see a turbo really helping you there.

GM makes a great gas motor, and their diesels are backed by Allison trannys. But I'm too much a Cummins guy to switch. My dad has a 6.0 vortec powered 2500 that comes in at 10k lbs for a work truck. Let me tell you that thing was an animal. It pulled on my Jeep back when I was stock, and it'll tow like nothing is behind it (still weighed down at 10k lbs...). It'll chug gas though, he's filling it 2+ times a day. Usually only averages about 10mpg if he's lucky. There's been days where he's filled it 3 or 4 times a day. His company isn't very good at consolidating the routes lol. They'll send him from the shop to the city, to the opposite side of the island, back to the city, back out East again, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bmxer524 wrote:
Diesel, if you want my :2cents: on the whole work truck/tow rig, I'd wait a year to see what Jeep comes out with as far as trucks and diesels.

That's basically what I'm doing. I'd take a diesel powered Jeep truck in a heartbeat as long as it had a 5,000 lb. towing capacity and achieved 28 mpg.

Bmxer524 wrote:
From what I've seen the Ram 1500 eco-diesels are pretty nice. Problem is, in my area they hold a premium at dealers, and only comes fully loaded. At that price point you might as well get a Cummins powered 2500. I know the 3500s will get almost 20mpg towing almost 8k lbs at 80mph in the mountains out West. A 2500 can't be much different.

I've seen the Ecodiesel 4x4 in my area (Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado) for as low as $34,500, but most of them are $42,000. But you're right, the big cities have the high-end trucks listed at $56,000 - $62,000.

Bmxer524 wrote:
I know the new GM Canyon/Colorada has a diesel option (again, you're looking at a 40-50k price tag for a 1/4 ton. Might as well go buy a 1/2-3/4 ton for a little more...) in a small package. Don't know how well they tow or anything though. I wouldn't bother looking at Ford, they lay it all down on their turbo 6s. I'm too old school to buy that. Never looked at the power band, but turbos (especially on gas motors) need rpm to spool up. The hardest part about towing is stopping and starting, can't see a turbo really helping you there.

I suffer from brand loyalty assuming the brand that I'm loyal to is still making competitive vehicles. And in many ways, Ford and GM are playing catchup to Ram/Jeep. The Ecodiesel has proven to be a good engine and the rumor is that Jeep will be putting the ecodiesel into the Jeep truck.

Bmxer524 wrote:
GM makes a great gas motor, and their diesels are backed by Allison trannys. But I'm too much a Cummins guy to switch. My dad has a 6.0 vortec powered 2500 that comes in at 10k lbs for a work truck. Let me tell you that thing was an animal. It pulled on my Jeep back when I was stock, and it'll tow like nothing is behind it (still weighed down at 10k lbs...). It'll chug gas though, he's filling it 2+ times a day. Usually only averages about 10mpg if he's lucky. There's been days where he's filled it 3 or 4 times a day. His company isn't very good at consolidating the routes lol. They'll send him from the shop to the city, to the opposite side of the island, back to the city, back out East again, etc.

The Allison is a good transmission, but the Aisin that Ram uses in my opinion is better, stronger, and more durable. Even the standard Chrysler transmission is pretty impressive. I have 135,000 on my factory 48RE behind the Cummins with no problems, and 75% of my driving is towing. There are guys who have 300K - 400K on their factory transmissions. Once you rebuild the Chrysler transmission, then it's incredibly strong and can handle further abuse. I think the key is to keep fresh fluid in the transmission. Heat kills transmissions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi everyone! I am back from a summer of camping and fieldwork for research in the mountains of Western Maryland and ready to start the school year. (The other part of my job as a professor is being a teacher.)

Weekends are a good time to begin to attack some of the odds and ends of my trailer build, as it was never really done! The trailer was campable and it worked out wonderfully during the summer. Here's what's left (short list):

- Seal the bolts holding the body down to the trailer with rubberized goop. --Done!

- Seal the edges of the roof with RV molding and butyl putty tape the way it is supposed to be. (Right now I slathered Sikaflex on the seams and it held for the summer, but it is already showing signs of splitting due to expansion of the metal.) Edge moldings should get the shell more permanently waterproof.

- Install the solar panel on the roof and run the wiring in the ceiling.

- Once the solar panel is on, I can finish the interior of the camper. I have cedar paneling for the walls and some birch ply for the ceiling that will go up, and I'll be making some cupboards and shelves too.

I had time to putter with a few odds and ends earlier this week after work:
- cleaned 8 weeks of dirt off the Fantastic Fan
- finished installing the rest of the hinges on the benches/bed platform, so now hinges go the entire length.
- constructed interior window frames for the side windows that stylistically match the front and rear window frames.
It was nice to get my tools out again and make a small amount of progress on the trailer.

I have some pictures from the summer that I can post up.

Here's base camp at Little Orleans Campground in Little Orleans, Maryland.
A shot that shows the Jeep Liberty for you, my tow vehicle.

And zoomed in a bit on the kitchen and the students' tents.

All the comforts of home for sleeping.

The electrical system, including the 120VAC and the 12V DC with the USB ports will be incorporated into a "dashboard" eventually. For now they are tacked into place.

During the day the trailer converted into a storage shed for the field equipment and camping food. The Jeep got this job at night.

For a while there camp towels stood in as curtains.

Now I have real curtains, thanks to my wife and her mom who crafted them for me! They used velcro in the design so the curtains can easily attach to the window frames. The curtains have a thick backing so they keep it really dark in the trailer for sleeping.

The next task is to get the solar panel up and running. I'll post pics once I have the panel in place on the roof. Today I worked on the interior supports hidden in the ceiling, so there is not much to show yet.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next