It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS Unit / Software advice
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know this has been asked, but I want to get a GPS that has the capability of adding topo maps and/or maps that show offroading trails, camping etc. does anything like that exsist? I just dont want to get a street map kind or a tomtom for directions in the city etc...

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cant anyone answer this simple question? I figured Id post it here for the simple fact that you GPS folks could help out ???

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a Garmin 60c. However it is the software that you are looking for that contains the maps. Garmin's Topo is not half bad. I know Magellan has topo maps for their handheld units also. I compared the two Topo maps side by side and I preferred Garmin's. Had more detail and better resolution. I also know Lowrance makes some consumer handhelds with available topo maps, but never got a chance to see their maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a Garmin 60CS and love it. It does real good in the dense woods, and I can even get signal in my Trailer! It also has a Geocaching section if you cache. If you want a lot of reviews, check out www.geocaching.com and in there forums you will find many reviews and opinions on all the products. I can tell you I dont like Magellan GPS's at all. I have both Topo's and Street maps, and they both are excellent maps.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an Ambicom compact flash card GPS receiver(model GPS-CF) and I use it in my laptop to track my trips on Natonal Geographic Backroads Explorer software. It tracks my path right on the NGO TOPO! maps as I ride.

Check out the maps in my Johnny Park Road thread in the lost Rockies forum. It allows me to track real-time on the topo maps from my laptop and allows me to make an elevation plot of the trail. I can also use the card in my Pocket PC but cannot track with it in the model I have.

Johnny Park Road Run

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Its been awhile for this post. But, I have a Magellan Gold that can be loaded with topo maps. I've not done it yet. I just the normal input of waypoints for the geocache I'm looking for.

Still handheld in the Liberty, but I made a cheap ($3) + $15 Magellan holder for the Wrangler. It sits in the "coin holder" with Velcro. So, there is no holes in the dashboard. It held up pretty good last weekend going up Fall Rivers Road in RMNP.

-Sunroof, Tow Package, 235/70R16 Wrangler Silent Armor
-Mopar: tow hooks, rock rails, skids, roof basket, seat covers, compartment partition
L.O.S.T. #062602

His:
2005 X Wrangler - Stock - Electric Lime Green