It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you get all finished, not that it ever happens mind you, how about a final list of everything you had done to the KJ. Or update your list etc.

I'm following this pretty close to use as a guide for my SAS next year. I'm putting $400.00 a month aside right now for it. In March I'll have the off road shop start ordering parts. Once he has most of the parts he can start working on it. Then I'll be Jeepless for awhile! :cry: :cry:

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 am 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
When you get all finished, not that it ever happens mind you, how about a final list of everything you had done to the KJ. Or update your list etc.

I'm following this pretty close to use as a guide for my SAS next year. I'm putting $400.00 a month aside right now for it. In March I'll have the off road shop start ordering parts. Once he has most of the parts he can start working on it. Then I'll be Jeepless for awhile! :cry: :cry:

Terry

Sure thing Terry. The list I have in the very first post of my thread is up to date on everything I have purchased for it. I updated it this morning once I saw your request. I think I have everything in there for my build. If anyone can see anything I am missing, let me know.

Also, another thing I could do is make a numbered list to match my parts pile list of where I purchased everything. That might help those who are searching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:

Terry

Sure thing Terry. The list I have in the very first post of my thread is up to date on everything I have purchased for it. I updated it this morning once I saw your request. I think I have everything in there for my build. If anyone can see anything I am missing, let me know.

Also, another thing I could do is make a numbered list to match my parts pile list of where I purchased everything. That might help those who are searching.

That would really help a lot. The shop that is going to do my work just fired a worker and there only was 2 to start with! I have all the pictures copied and will be starting on the thread also. That way he can read why something was done. It's an off road shop but mine is the only KJ he has ever worked on and probably the only unitized body he has worked on.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
Inc wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:

Terry

That would really help a lot. The shop that is going to do my work just fired a worker and there only was 2 to start with! I have all the pictures copied and will be starting on the thread also. That way he can read why something was done. It's an off road shop but mine is the only KJ he has ever worked on and probably the only unitized body he has worked on.

Terry

Out of every shop I got quotes from to do the work for this project, my KJ would have been the first they ever worked on. Just not that many KJs that need work like this done. I mean, how many SFA KJs are there?
JJ, Wally, Seth, JediKJ, #1Aus KJ, OHV, Troy, Inc, the white one from cardomain, Jereboshou, and then the 2 red SFA KJs built by Trailready and then one for SEMA. Soon there will be Jeepbumm, Ted, Marty and Terry. That is all I can think of anyway, but still not a whole lot really. So the vast majority of shops will have to do some serious figuring with the exception of All J's, and Rock Lizard because they should have it down pretty good now. But it seems no 2 people have used the exact same parts so one guy's build might help another's, but the differences in part collecting leads to differences in build geometry and so on. Each one does something different and something cool. The fact that each one is different makes each one that much better too, not necessarily better than another SFA KJ, but just cooler in general.

Anyway, here is where I got everything from in blue:

1. Front HP D30 out of an XJ, Solid Diff Cover, JKS control arm skids, 4.88's, Aussie Locker, Warn 5x4.5 Hub Kit, Warn inner and outer Chromo Shafts and the WJ
knuckle/brake/steering conversion w/ chevy 3/4 ton TRE's and heavy duty 1.25x.219 drilled and tapped tie rod and drag link = $850 (purchased) (from a local friend used)
2. Rubicon Express Extended Steel Braided Brake Lines = $50 (purchased) (don't buy these, they need new ends to be put on to fit a KJ) (from a local RE dealer "Banged Up Offroad")
3. Fox 2.0 Coil Over Shocks = $207 each (2) Fox-980-99-004-A (purchased)(from "Offroad Warehouse")
4. QA1 2.5id 10” #450 upper springs = $37 each (2) (purchased) (from "Summit Racing")
5. QA1 2.5id 10” #500 lower springs = $37 each (2) (purchased) (from "Summit Racing")
6. OME 864 Rear Springs = $75 (purchased) (used from JJ)
7. Edelbrock #63914 Xtreme Travel IAS Medium Valving Rear Shocks = $35.95 each (2) (purchased) (direct from "Edelbrock")
8. 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/R Kevlar = $196.60 ea. (4) (purchased) (from "Tire Rack")
9. Rear 8.25 - 4.88 gears with master overhaul kit = $340 (purchased) (from "East Coast Gear Supply")
10. Rubicon Express Sway Bar Disconnects and TJ Sway Bar = $40 (purchased) (from a local friend used)
11. Front Drive Shaft = $? (waiting until project is done for measurements)
12. Rear Drive Shaft = $? (waiting until project is done for measurements)
13. Ford Steering Box = $90 (purchased) (from a local junk yard)
14. Custom Exhaust = $? (still needs to be refigured)
15. AA 50-7907 SYE Kit = $199 (purchased) (direct from "Advance Adapters")
16. Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit = $1,200 (purchased) (from a local RE dealer "Banged Up Offroad")
17. Long Arm and Coilover mounting = $350 (purchased) (from "Ballistic Fabrication" and "Clayton Off Road")
18. Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Front Track Bar = $130 (purchased) (from a local RE dealer "Banged Up Offroad")
19. Yukon Alloy Axle Shafts for 8.25 Rear Axle = $250 (purchased) (from "Jeepin Outfitters")
20. Labor (including all the custom work done) = $2,500 (purchased) (from "Air Sierra")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Inc dont get mad at me here but I have a qestion.....

What are hub/hub kits and what do they do?

31x10.5x15 BFG AT on black steels
Front and rear tow hooks
Polk audio db6501 full range speakers and tweeters
12" Kicker Comp CVR sub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Quicksilversurf917 wrote:
Hey Inc dont get mad at me here but I have a qestion.....

What are hub/hub kits and what do they do?

No worries, I won't get mad. :lol:

Check out these links and they should answer your question:
http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/hubs.shtml
http://www.fourwheeler.com/howto/34047/index.html
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/ultyj30/
http://4wheelonline.com/Categories.aspx?Categoryid=18

Post subject: More Useful Info
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm 
LOST Addict

For all those that are going to use a Ford Steering Box, you will need to grind the output shaft of the steer box so that it fits the odd shape of the clamp on the steering linkage of your jeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Honestly, I kind of wonder why everyone went with the Ford boxes to be honest, since the shaft needs to be ground down to fit the steering coupler. Obviously it works, but I wonder if there is one that mounts directly in place of the old one without grinding. I wonder if the one OHV used is a direct bolt in. IIRC he used a grand cherokee box.

I'd be interested to hear if OHV's grand cherokee box bolted right in.

Last edited by Inc on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
They made a adapter for his.Since the KJ used a rack and pinion box it will be different then a recirculating ball box's input shaft.The KJ's rack&pinion is a commonly used on other vehicles like the Dakota/Durango/1/2 ton Ram pickups.

As far as the Ford steering box......................

The steering box is not what made that famous P/S whine in Fords,it was the weak Saginaw P/S pump they used.The F/E series steering box is a stout box compared to most others and since there's millions of those vehicles out there they are pretty cheap also.

Last edited by tjkj2002 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Inc wrote:
djui5 wrote:
You'd think Jeep made one that would fit :) A lot of their parts can be used on other vehicles. The beauty of mass production. Probably the only beauty :lol:

They made a adapter for his.

As far as the Ford steering box......................

The steering box is not what made that famous P/S whine in Fords,it was the weak Saginaw P/S pump they used.The F/E series steering box is a stout box compared to most others and since there's millions of those vehicles out there they are pretty cheap also.

So did you guys grind down the output on the ford box for your project?
I know JJ told me Quinn did on theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

My AA SYE Kit finally came in today. Looked it over and it seems to be a well made piece of machinery. Should work nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Steering box and track bar mounts:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Track bar. (had to be flipped in order for it to work for my setup, and the axle mount needed to be widened, not finished in pics)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:03 am 
LOST Newbie

What you're referring to as the "track bar" on the front... would that be the same thing as a "Panard bar", like what is seen on the rear of the stock KJ/KK to control lateral movement of the axle? Probably just semantics, but I was wondering if there's a difference.

-SR-

Short Term Wish List:
Hitch receiver & wire harness
General Grabber AT2 245/70R16 tires (as soon as the stockers wear out)
DVD player (for Jr.)

Long Term Wish List:
Lift kit (not sure what size yet)
Bigger tires
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Rock rails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

greatoppressor wrote:
What you're referring to as the "track bar" on the front... would that be the same thing as a "Panard bar", like what is seen on the rear of the stock KJ/KK to control lateral movement of the axle? Probably just semantics, but I was wondering if there's a difference.

-SR-

Yes but you won't find one on the IFS KJ, only the KK. KJ uses the upper 3 link wishbone to do basically the same function.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:44 am 
LOST Addict

I was down at the shop most of the day today. The jeep is sitting on its own suspension for good now, at least we hope so since we have taken the coilovers off and on a bunch of times already to adjust things over an over. We reamed the pitman arm to fit the draglink, measured and marked where my new turn signals will go, moved a lot of wiring around so that when I cut the unibody up front the wires won't be hanging out, and painted all the underside of the jeep too. Remounted the front long arms and coilovers. Looks good and felt even better to sit in it for the first time when it was sitting exactly how it will sit from here on out. Took some measurements too.

28" - center of hub to bottom of fender flare
26" - ground to bottom outer edge of rock rails
20.25" - ground to rear control arm mounts
21.75" - ground to new beefed up frame rails
81" - ground to the top of the jeep

Jeep still needs rear gears, SYE, drivelines, brake lines, and exhaust. The long arms need to be measured and set correctly as well for the proper angles, since today we just bolted them up so the jeep was under its own weight on the tires again. I took some pics of everything painted and the jeep looking basically done. I'll post them tomorrow morning. Jeep looks good and I am doubtful I'll install the spacers I bought. I'll wheel it first and go from there. The jeep is definitely getting close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:05 pm 
LOST Addict

All painted up and looking pretty in the rear, in the first 3 pics you can see the extra piece of "frame" we welded in between the t-case crossmember and the rear lower control arm mounts. That extra piece will prevent hang ups on large rocks since there is a nice flat surface there from the front control arms back to the rear ones now.

here is the front all painted up nicely

Front with long arms mounted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

The rear spring perches moved back a few inches for the correct angles

The upper coilover mounts. It is hard to tell but there are gussets on the corners and a gusset that joins the tabs together.

The lower coilover mounts are nice and boxed in.

The track bar mount was resized for the wider RE track bar and then beefed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Close...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next