It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sfa kj idea look at my parts list?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:34 am 
LOST Newbie

ok here where i come form have a little background in early broncos and thougth i might try to use that knowledge to do a sfa on my jeep liberty
heres what i figure so far
use a full width dana 44 and ford nine inch out of a ford bronco the fullsized ones they have an axle widht of 66 inches roughly and can ebfound with 410 gears and front disc brakes for around three hundred a pair.
i figured to either buy tubular radius arms or use stock ones have to do somemeasuring first to see and simply work up a radius arm design mount using the channel to reinforce unibody and putting radius arm mounts on there then all id have to do is adda track bar and mount the coils in the same area as the struts were. probably even use early bronco coils but might also pick up some wrangler coils though. the rear could be done similarly to the stock setup using the same lower mounts and adding them to the ford nine inch and on top simply making a bracket to hold two rod ends that way i could run to arms up top one form each stock mount to the top of the axle and use taller jeep coils .. i figured that around 5 or 6 inches of lift above stock would probably be good for 33s or maybe even 35s and with 410 gears 33s should be no problem to trun as with 3.73 i turn 265 75 on stock rims which are actually 33 inches tall. the main concerns still left are steering up fornt and then the question fo are these axles gonna be too wide stock is 60 right so 66 would only pu me three inches farth out on each side which with heavy backspacing and wide rims i could control to wind up just wide enough not to rub the tires i figured. the steering im still giving some thought too ill have all the setup form the bronco and figure to use the stock power steering pump but will ti provide enough flow? i can pick up eithe ra yota or ford steering geer box for next to nothing but heard something about needing reverse cut ill have to crawl under my rig and take a closer look at where to mount it and what needs to be done but let me know what you think of the idea any thing im not considering? any thing doesnt sound right ? any help with steering would also be good.... thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:00 am 
LOST Newbie

ok read some more and figured out the revers cut steering box got that in mind now so when i cna go crawl under my rig later i will do some more figuring on placement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like you have a good idea going. It sounds kind of similar to what Adam did on his KJ a couple years ago. Here is a link to his build up.
http://home.comcast.net/~jedijawa/

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the link id seend it before but am restudying it with renewed vigor im hoping to start gathering parts soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:57 am 
LOST Junkie

So where's the rest of your parts ?

Converting the KJ's front end into SFA requires long arms for starters, then what are you going to do fo uppers ? Best to join the uppers to the lowers and have a kind of 3 link front end, less links = less restrictions = more flex

Have a look at the Australian SFA KJ Renegade. Amazinging simple conversion and still retained stock steering pump & Rack & Pinion - sheer brilliance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OzLtd wrote:
So where's the rest of your parts ?

Converting the KJ's front end into SFA requires long arms for starters, then what are you going to do fo uppers ? Best to join the uppers to the lowers and have a kind of 3 link front end, less links = less restrictions = more flex

Have a look at the Australian SFA KJ Renegade. Amazinging simple conversion and still retained stock steering pump & Rack & Pinion - sheer brilliance.

Got wheeling/testing pics yet?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:19 am 
LOST Newbie

well i have been looking at the australian one and have decided to mimic their steering as it is a simple and less expensive design. as far as arms for5 the fornt end i had figured on using the radius arms that would come wiht the bronco dana 44 axle. i know a four link might flex better but once you had the stock radius arms designed you could up grade later easily to more flexy aftermarket radius arms like the cage ones if youve never seen and early bronco on cage armas check this out cageoffroad.com and tell me that wouldnt be flexy enough. the only thoughts i have is on the rear end i will make new lower arms to hook up the nine inch but wonder weather or not to make a new three link upper or a 4 link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

as far as pics im still gathering goods and was distracted for a little while with some thought of an xj axle and keeping the rear the same with a little more lift..... but now im pretty decided on the full width axles
so front end gonna have dana 44 with radius arm set up using bronco track abr just going to have to make a moutn for it on the engine cradle rails i think then use the aussie steering setup probly i will hook up steering first then make track bar bracket to attempt to keep them parralel and minimize bump steer. the radius arm mounts are available premade and ready to weld on via bronco aftermarket vendors so ill just ge tthe measurement of the stock bronco for width and to figure out the placement on the frame wraps and strienghteners. then for the coil springs probly work up the mounts that will bolt up to the strut mounts will have to measure to see where they line up with stock mounts on the axles but with luck itll line up if not ill torch the old ones and put new ones in place. shocks will be mounted in the wheel wells will have to reinforce the mounting points though if i was going taller in the lift i would put the shocks on the radius arm as the broncos often do but im not oging that tall. i figure to have the height to run 35s as ive already got a set of two 95% and one 70% for spare so id only need to buy two ive already got a 2.5 inch lift and figure that when im done if ive got three more inches ill have room for 35s. the rear im going to replace the stock lower arms with some similair to the krawler arms infact i will probly iuse the krawler rode ends unless soemone has some reason i shouldnt. the upper link im still undecided the stock design is nice but cant be adjusted is the only real problem soe im torn between a fourlink or making a new tri link probly would use the stock upper mounts but put krawler ends in it and then come together to a mount for another massive ball joint or the thought crossed my mind that if i built a tower i=on the rear axle wiht a haevy stud or rod on the end i might get away wiht a heavy rode end on top wiht soem missalignment spacers to allow the movement but would definitely have to make sure that everything was heavy wenough to hold. then shocks would be mounted similair to stock onless i can figure to do it inbord like htey do on broncos but this should give me a fairly flexy vehicle with greater ruggedness then it was stock and still be bearable to drive on the street or highway.... any thoguhts on the rear end would be appreciated.. also i dont know if anyone is local to hte arear but when the times comes to start working on it help would be welcome and appreciated ill be doing most of the work in llano texas.... its a couple of hours from sanantonio.
thanks and expect updates and pictures once i gather parts etc.. looking for axles right now..

Post subject: got some parts on the way
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

foudn a guy in austin who is gonna sell me front and rear axles and radius arms out of a 1992 ford bronco for 250.00
have to go check them over and make sure but i believe it should nave a 31 spline rear end and 4.09 gears though im thinking of 35s when all is said and done and so may need to swap anyway to 4.88s or so i belive. but it is a start anyway... now just got to get them to my workshop and get some of the plate steel and the like to make some frame reinforcements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sounds sweet... I hope to achieve something similar with my Lib someday. What are you going to do about the speed sensor? Do the Broncos have the sensors in the rear diff as well?

--
Jerold Burrow

Post subject: didnt know that
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

didnt know the speed sensor was in the rear infact had forgotten all about that i just assumed it was in the xfer case can anyone give me any more info on this? i assume there must be another way to do it maybe an adapter for the xfer case or a speed sensor that can be put else where....hmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hmmm....wonder what Wally did for that? IIRC, he might have used a sensor off the TC which the rubi TC has. Don't think it works on the 231 though??

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Didn't he retain the stock 8.25 in the rear? What did Adam do? He went to a D60 in the rear: http://home.comcast.net/~jedijawa/

--
Jerold Burrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Uh yeah...DUH! WTH was I thinking? :oops:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

i was thinking of jedi myself this morning may have to email him and ask.... also the vss will only effect my cruise control and speedometer right has no bearing on tranny and shift points does it?
well imm back to thinking maybe eve could leave the stock rear but get less back space wheels or spacers? but itd be gsay to have different wheels front or rear....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I once managed to sever one of the wires running to my VSS and I ended up with a Check-Engine-Light. It seemed like the Lib was running weird too, but that may have been my imagination...

--
Jerold Burrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

i emailed jedi but havent heard back yet... but i think ive made a mind change now and will keep th rear axle stock the new plan is as follows
xj dana 30 front with the arms setup like jedis is
australian rigs steering
rear end add krawler arms and simply put longer springs in to adjust ride height for 33 12.5 have to call them and make sure this will work though
the only thing on the nfront now is where to mount the springs or do i dare go coilover i hate to as theres much added expens but will need to get the xj axle or get someone who has one to give me the measurements on the axle to determine how to mount upper spring mounts on libby....
its a shame to switch as that was a steal on those bronco axles but poh well now i need to find an xj axle ...
anything im mising now will probly while talking to krawler find ouit which of there long arms is closest to the leingth i want for the libby front end and see if theyll make me a stubby to triangulate the one side .... will call them monday morning or afternoon... this will still enable me to have a nic ride and with 33s you can go anywhere you need too lol.
any thoughts on the new idea?
anyone got an xj axle theyve been sitting on or tj for that matter as the width is similair.or the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

JJ has some rubicon 44's for sale if you are looking for a serious upgrade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

ok i talked to rockkrawler about hteir rear end and let me say that their customer service is awesome. i called and all the techs wered driving to a run wih the shop rigs but the lady said shed get them to call me back .... i figured with it being firday shed call me next monday but no about ten minutes after i got off with her the kj tech jeremy called me up from his cell phone and was able to answer all my ?s he said the krawler arms in the rear will handle the 4inch lift and that i would probably be able to get away without a slip yoke elminator kit maybe at most a 1 inch xfercase drop. alsop he agreed on my front end design. im going to order all the parts monday pictures will follow