It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for kj for sas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:08 am 
LOST Newbie

i am looking for someone that is interested in doing a solid axle swap. i own a local shop in fredericksburg ,va.. i am looking to build a sas that is 100% or atleast close to as possible as bolt on as it can get.. i do want someone that is not afraid of wheeling there vechile and will push the kit to its limits... after all the r&d is done i will also reinstall a new production kit on the vehicle.. i have a kj that i have been working on that a customer has brought in but she doesnt want to sas... but i have been able to spend alot of time with it to et most of the design work done.. i can build the kit a few differnt ways using coils or coil overs etc...if you are interested please let me know.. the kit will be a full long arm kit front to rear with full belly skid.. the cost that you will pay is for some of the parts like coils/coil overs, brake lines, stuff like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 am 
LOST Addict

I wish I knew about your shop oh say 3 months ago. I would have had my KJ up there in a heartbeat. You may have better luck in the Mid-Atlantic section.

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:59 am 
LOST Newbie

is there alot of demand for a sas??? i only ask cause i havent seen one in person and only a hand full in photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can't speak on behalf of everyone else, but I'd love to see a company sell one. Right now we see lots of prototypes that are never put into production. If there were a kit similar in price and function to a TJ long arm suspension, then I'd definitely buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:09 pm 
LOST Member

same here, the big turn off from going to a sfa is that there is no "bolt" kit. Please, make one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Unfortunately, I can't lend you my CRD, but I would definitely be interested in a well engineered kit with minimal welding. I don't necessarily trust a bolt on kit. but a do-it yourself kit that can be bolted on by do-it-yourselfers then taken to a shop to be finish welded would be just the ticket.

What differential are you planning on using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:54 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

There is a demand, especially for a bolt on kit. I would consider it, but never would want to spend the amount of money allyrand did to get his rig set up. His rig is a monster, but too rich for my blood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:51 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

I'll loan you my rig if I can get an SFA out of it. Lemme know.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

i have a fewq people interested. i am not putting anythign in concrete with anyone cuase i want to get this moving and is going to be a cost for anyone that is wwanting to do this but it is well worth it and a fraction of what everyone is spending on the kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

this community has been wanting a sfa swap for a while that is affordable and reliable. i would love to get rid of that old aluminum d30. good luck and keep us informed.

245/75/16 MTR's
Cobra 75WX, 4' Firefly
BRX Hoses, Clear Corner Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any update? Did you get ahold of a KJ for the test run?

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Approx how much you talking about? I'm in the market for a TJ and was going to sell mine, but I now I realize serious wheelers and soccor moms both dont like lifted KJ's. If its gonna cost more than building up a TJ-forget it.

Post subject: Re: looking for kj for sas
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

zebrajeep21 wrote:
i am looking for someone that is interested in doing a solid axle swap. i own a local shop in fredericksburg ,va.. i am looking to build a sas that is 100% or atleast close to as possible as bolt on as it can get.. i do want someone that is not afraid of wheeling there vechile and will push the kit to its limits... after all the r&d is done i will also reinstall a new production kit on the vehicle.. i have a kj that i have been working on that a customer has brought in but she doesnt want to sas... but i have been able to spend alot of time with it to et most of the design work done.. i can build the kit a few differnt ways using coils or coil overs etc...if you are interested please let me know.. the kit will be a full long arm kit front to rear with full belly skid.. the cost that you will pay is for some of the parts like coils/coil overs, brake lines, stuff like that

I grew up in Spotsylvania. Where is your shop? If you dont have anyone interested let me know I have a few friends that still live there who might be interested.

Frankenlift,MOABS,Mopar Roof Basket, Pet Partition, Neoprene seat covers,Flowmaster Deltaflow 50,PIAA 580 series Fogs, Rusty's Gas Tank skid, Rock Lizard Skink Sliders (Soon to be installed diff cover and Monitor Front Bumper)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2056418

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Feck, why cant you be in Brisbane, Australia !! :evil:

God Speed my Fab friend, show us what you can do...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

My wife has a perfect (?) KJ for this. It's currently a 2WD KJ so there's not a lot of stuff to throw away :)

Let me know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:53 pm 
LOST Member

My 2c worth.
- Make sure you R&D a CRD as well as the gas model,
- Don't go sky hi (4" lift 33" tires IMHO), make it bullet proof off road I don't want a show truck
- Would the axel be included in the kit? What axel would be a good match to the rear 8.25?
- If the axel is included in the price of the kit make it compatible with the ABS system
- did I mention it would be nice if the axel were included with the kit?

If you build it they will come, just think of all those weak aluminum IFS axel housings out there waiting to explode money into your bank account instead of DCs

so what are we talking here $ wise? a grand for the kit and like 2 grand for the axel? I'll be ready to buy after my warrenty expires in 09.

Member ID Rockies 069661

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:18 am 
LOST Junkie

YES, VERY good idea to R&D the CRD as well, as it has a completely different sump setup and clearance is different.

I agree with the comments on a 4-4.5" lift and 33"s as the general KJ community probably wouldnt want to go sky high. In saying that, we know everyone squeezes on bigger rubber later on.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy a SFA kit unless I was going to run at least 35s :twisted: Members have already gotten 32" tires to fit without rubbing. If I'm going to spend $3,000 on a lift kit, why only go with 33"? Actually, what would be cooler is multiple lift heights, since height is a matter of personal preference. Maybe the control arms and links could be swapped out :?:

The C8.25 rear axle is similar in strength to the Dana 44. Since a lot of TJs use a D30/D44 combination and the KJ already has a D30 front, I'm sure a solid D30 would work. Don't know about width though :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 am 
LOST Member

Never mind the SAS, just finish working on my cage. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:52 am 
LOST Junkie

unixxx wrote:
The C8.25 rear axle is similar in strength to the Dana 44. Since a lot of TJs use a D30/D44 combination and the KJ already has a D30 front, I'm sure a solid D30 would work. Don't know about width though :?

The D30 would work fine. The width I believe is the same 60" I would probably run coilovers then the normal seperate coil / shock platform, and I believe that std setup doesnt fit because of the KJ's wider engine bay - therefor wheel arches.