It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parts List for Build Up
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:19 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Hey Guys,

A couple of you have asked what all Quinn, Steve and I used to build the rig. Keep in mind I work in the business and don't pay retail, so Quinn could put something similar together using less than top of the line stuff and still have it work... and you wouldn't need to use it all. So, here goes:

Rear Axle:
New D44 TJ Housing w/ ARB 33 spline locker, Superior shafts and Tera Flex Disc brakes w/ 4:56 gears from Genuine. Thanks to the guys at Pro Comp for the housing! We did this to save on Fabrication for the Nth Degree products we'll hit on in a minute.
Front Axle:
HP D30 out of an XJ w/ Rubicon Unit Bearings (only Junker parts we got) w/ ARB 30 Spline locker, 30 Spline 1541H Inners by Yukon, 4340 Stubs, Yukon Super Joints and Vanco's Kick stupid$$ front disc brake kit. Even if you don't touch your rig, look at these someday... they rock. I need to put some hubs in but we didn't have time.
Steering:
Currie's TJ Steering kit fit great. We're putting an OME TJ Steering Damper on shortly. We also used a Currie Anti Rock with bent arms from a TJ rear set up on the front and SkyJackers rear sway bars on the back. Retro Fitted a steering box out of a Bronco II with a plate Steve made that is just amazing once the front diff and the rack and pinion where gone. More to it than that, but you get the picture.
Drivetrain:
J E Reel Drive shafts front and rear that are coming out of the stock 231 case with a Tera Low and and Tera Extreme Short shaft kit. We also fitted Tera's 2 Low shifter in the case... that thing rocks! Low gear with 2WD Steering... Quinn had to make some serious mods to make it fit in the KJ 231, but it works. We'll be working with Tera in the next month or so to see if they plan on releasing the Low with a KJ part Number.
Suspension:
Here's the good stuff! Nth Degree Mobility is an up and coming suspension MFR that some of you have heard of. Jim Frens owns Nth and he used to be a design engineer for DC... he's the best! We used all his parts... Long arms front and rear with a custom fitted belly pan, Track bar brackets, Rear Stinger and Slider on the driveline/Diff that act as the 3rd link in the suspension and some other parts. We used OME 80 Series Cruiser rear springs with Bilstein 5150 Shocks and Jims shock shifters to keep the bottom line clean. Up Front Bilstein made us a sick set of 10" Travel coil over shocks with a 7/8" shaft and a resevoir that's almost as big as the shock. Eibach springs went on those and that's it.
Other:
Marty gave us a rear bar and tire carrier. I love the bar... it works and looks great. You've seen the pictures already! ARB Deluxe bar up front of course with a Warn M8000 spooled up with 100' of Green WinchLine on Viking rollers. IPF 900XSD / XSS lights (one driving, one spot is the ARB way...better beam patterns!) and IPF H3 100 Watt inserts in the factory fog housings.
Pro Comp 305/75 R17 X Terrains on Pro Comp rims x 5 with 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel spacers to widen the stance a little.

That's it... add it all up and then add a ton of hard work and here's what you get!:

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I dig it....Congrats on the rig sir...i'll be scouring the magazine racks the beginning of april to see what shows up....that and my local junk yard for busted TJ parts that I can use... :twisted:

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got to thinking Seth, seeing that you work for ARB, if I caught on to that correctly by your handle, are you going to be competing in the Expedition Trophy this year in October perhaps??? If so I might run into you there as I'm looking at attending the event as well...pending work related issues of course.

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey seth, This was a blast to work on. I wish I had more time to put in it. It was really neat to tear off all the origional parts and fab up the new stuff. They best fun I had was taking the plasma cutter to your jeep. Watching parts fall to the ground as I cut. Oh and is there a baby yet.
Kory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:25 am 

Hey Cory... nope, no shorty yet, but soooon!
I am competing in the Trophy this year. My Buddy Mike and I will be driving the company FJ Cruiser. I don't race my own truck on company time. Here is a shot of us at this years NVTR... Team Angry Burro came in 4th place! Not too shabby...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Seth. Nice rig you got there. I just have to mention though that it's nice seeing someone from the "Left Coast" sportin' a Sox hat 8) 8) 8)

2004 Sport with just enough to get me in trouble 8)
http://picasaweb.google.com/TRCorcoran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ARBSeth wrote:
Hey Cory... nope, no shorty yet, but soooon!
I am competing in the Trophy this year. My Buddy Mike and I will be driving the company FJ Cruiser. I don't race my own truck on company time. Here is a shot of us at this years NVTR... Team Angry Burro came in 4th place! Not too shabby...

Awesome to hear...If I make it out this year for it i'll have to find ya and introduce myself...looks like loads of fun this year...but I have to mention, are you a member at Expedition Portal :?: I've been trying to catch up on the loads of info they have over there for Expedition travel and other things and that is where I heard about the Expedition Trophy event...saw that an ARB Corporate Team was going to be competing so I thought i'd ask if you might have something to do with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:42 pm 

Yup, that's me. I'm not a member of the Portal, I just know Scott Brady real well. See you in Phoenix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Whats going on in Phoenix?

245 Firestone Destinations

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (stock)

2014 Yamaha FZ-09
1999 Yamaha VMax
LOSTKJs #124

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not sure if you can see the link or not if your not a member so I'll try and find another link to information, but it is Expedition Trophy. It's a long weekend event that involves you, a partner if you wish, your rig and camping. You got to be abel to read GPS coords too from what I can gather and make it to certain points in order to win. There are all sorts of different events over the weekend. Pretty cool event from what I can gather, maybe Seth can chime in with more info from experience.

Expedition Trophy 2007

Cool video teaser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:34 am 

All these events are different... but the Expedition Trophy is one of the best. You get to drive the wheels off the car and you still have to navigate your way through the desert... good stuff. You really need a second guy or gal in the car, a good GPS hooked into a lap top with a 3D Topo program running all the time and a second hand held unit ready to go to chance down a way pont. Good stuff and a ton of fun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:52 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

"Team Angry Burro"?

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:49 am 
LOST Addict

ARBSETH, that is inspiring to say the least. Now in an effort to save money on a swap like this any reason why the chrysler 8.25 rear could not be utilized? I am pretty sure it can fit 4.56 gears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sport wrote:
ARBSETH, that is inspiring to say the least. Now in an effort to save money on a swap like this any reason why the chrysler 8.25 rear could not be utilized? I am pretty sure it can fit 4.56 gears.
4.88's are on the way for the 8.25!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Using a rear D44 makes the whole process of using the Nth degree components much easier and Better overall. The Nth degree kit parts that were used were made to work w/ the D44 so there is less modding of parts to get it to work and it all goes together easier. The D44 is a slightly better overall rear than the 8.25 so that is also a consideration and there are several gear, axle and lcoker choices already available.

Where did you see 4.88's are coming for the 8.25?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Using a rear D44 makes the whole process of using the Nth degree components much easier and Better overall. The Nth degree kit parts that were used were made to work w/ the D44 so there is less modding of parts to get it to work and it all goes together easier. The D44 is a slightly better overall rear than the 8.25 so that is also a consideration and there are several gear, axle and lcoker choices already available.

Where did you see 4.88's are coming for the 8.25?
Superior gear is rumored to be coming out with 4.88's for the 8.25,no difinate answer yet.Found the info on colorado4x4.org.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:17 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Using the D44 does make the suspension parts work easier and you have alot more gear choices, but for me staying with 33" tires and 456 gear set works awesome...also the D44 is a bigger diff...I am curious to see what the ground clearence at the rear diff is compared to mine..also what did you do about the speedo?...does it work?...the 81/4 has the speed sensor at the rear diff, the D44 does not, that was another reason I kept the the 8 1/4..until someone comes out with a way to make the speedo work on a D44 I'm in no rush to change anything, its going to be interesting seeing these 2 rigs side by side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wally, Isn't there a way to run the speedo off of the NV241OR transfer case?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

not at this time...the wiring harness is different..I beleive the KJ speedo is 2 wire and the T case is 3 wire...or vice vesa..I don't remember which

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:23 pm 

The Speedo has been a pain in the stupid$...
The KJ pick up is a 2 wire... we tried using the pickup that Tera sends with the Low, but it's a 3 wire... she no workee. So now, I've ordered a Tone Ring from a Passport/Rodeo D44 to see if I can fit it on the RD116 (has a spot for it) and then see if I can drill a hole in the housing for the stock KJ 2 wire sensor, set the depth and see if it works...
More to follow on that one... right now, no speedo. Makes it interesting, that's for sure.