It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ARBSeth wrote:
The Speedo has been a pain in the stupid$...
The KJ pick up is a 2 wire... we tried using the pickup that Tera sends with the Low, but it's a 3 wire... she no workee. So now, I've ordered a Tone Ring from a Passport/Rodeo D44 to see if I can fit it on the RD116 (has a spot for it) and then see if I can drill a hole in the housing for the stock KJ 2 wire sensor, set the depth and see if it works...
More to follow on that one... right now, no speedo. Makes it interesting, that's for sure.

Screw the Speedo, just use a GPS!! 8)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:38 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

ARBSeth wrote:
The KJ pick up is a 2 wire... we tried using the pickup that Tera sends with the Low, but it's a 3 wire... she no workee. So now, I've ordered a Tone Ring from a Passport/Rodeo D44 to see if I can fit it on the RD116 (has a spot for it) and then see if I can drill a hole in the housing for the stock KJ 2 wire sensor, set the depth and see if it works...
More to follow on that one... right now, no speedo. Makes it interesting, that's for sure.

Have you checked into Superlifts "TruSpeed"..........??
My LJ's speedo with 5:13's gears is now WAY off......it really messes with your senses.....
The TruSpeed allows you to calibrate to the right speed and you can even have 2 different settings...say for 2 different tire sizes......

But for now......like JJ says......GPS......"hey someone up there tell me how fast I'm goin" :)

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dynamike wrote:
ARBSeth wrote:

Have you checked into Superlifts "TruSpeed"..........??
My LJ's speedo with 5:13's gears is now WAY off......it really messes with your senses.....
The TruSpeed allows you to calibrate to the right speed and you can even have 2 different settings...say for 2 different tire sizes......

But for now......like JJ says......GPS......"hey someone up there tell me how fast I'm goin" :)

5.13's?!?! Sounds like someone has been up to no good!? :twisted:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

does the KJ ever stall out with no speedo reading?...I would think when the speed is up it would be fine..but when you are slowing, like coming to a red light it might want to shut the vehicle down...hopefully thats not the case, cause the would suck..on road and off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

It's done it a handfull of times...
I can make it do it by reefing on the brakes. Otherwise, a slow stop works just fine, worst thing is it loses power steering and brakes when it happends...
So a GPS won't cut it..

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ARBSeth wrote:
I can make it do it by reefing on the brakes. Otherwise, a slow stop works just fine, worst thing is it loses power steering and brakes when it happends...
So a GPS won't cut it..

So Seth, who do you have working on a solution so I can use Rock-Jocks or Hi-9's on my future SFA?! Yeah I know, I'll never make up my mind but I just can't take much more of this IFS drama. :roll:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
ARBSeth wrote:
So a GPS won't cut it..

So Seth, who do you have working on a solution so I can use Rock-Jocks or Hi-9's on my future SFA?! Yeah I know, I'll never make up my mind but I just can't take much more of this IFS drama. :roll:
Yeah a good solution for those doing a SFA swap without using the 8.25 in the rear would be nice,any other electrical masterminds have any other ideas?Guess I'll have to make some calls and try and figure out how the the speed sensors work in both the KJ and TJ(RockTrac t-case) to see if any type of compatibilty is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It would be nice if Nth could make up a rear stinger and suspension setup that would work as well w/ the 8.25 as it does w/ the D44 on this SFA swap. And it will really be great for us (and XJ owners) if someone would produce some other gear sets for the 8.25.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:45 am 

You can do a couple things...
Mill out the 8.25 ring to fit over the Diff you're using... Rock Jocks won't work... too big at 9.75" OD, although... you can find tone rings for older D60's out there. A Hi 9 might work, but it's probably too big, too,...or you could find some of those funky rings they put on the axles of the TJ's with ABS and try that wiring system, but you'd have to fit them on much bigger shafts...... or someone can figure out how to ground out the 3 wire system into 2 and you can use the pickups in the transfer case like our original idea...
Or you can wait and see if this tone ring I got from Isuzu fits when I try it tomorrow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Has anybody used or know of someone using this universal speedo signal interface?---http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm--- Maybe it would work,maybe it won't, just thought I'd ask. Here is the install instructions for it,mainly for GM but it might work if using the RockTrac T-case---http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/sgi-5c.pdf---. Got the idea from a guy on colorado4x4 that used it in his '04 TJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:19 am 
LOST Junkie

ARBSeth wrote:
Or you can wait and see if this tone ring I got from Isuzu fits when I try it tomorrow...

So did you try it ? How'd it go ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:25 pm 

New baby boy has made getting stuff fixed take longer than expected.
The ring is on backorder still... and we've been trying to work all the rattle out of the truck in the meantime. Pinion angle proved to be a real pain, the driveshafts are so much longer it took quite a bit of shim to get it right. And it turns out we got some driveshafts that where out of phase, so that was causing a ton of vibration. Took forever to figure that out...

The ring should be here in a couple weeks. I'll post up if it worked. It's kind of high on my list of things to do now, because I got ANOTHER speeding ticket yesterday. The Trooper wasn't very symapathetic to my no speedo woes... although he did want to buy some stuff from me for HIS Jeep.... The Man apparently has a sense of humor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
The Trooper wasn't very symapathetic to my no speedo woes... although he did want to buy some stuff from me for HIS Jeep.... The Man apparently has a sense of humor
Overcharge him for the parts and he may think better next time!