It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, honestly, how does it compare?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:51 pm 
So, honestly, how does the KJ with a SFA compare to an XJ?

For $10,000 I could get a XJ, lift it, buy some gear & have gas money. Or I can do the SFA on my KJ. My big dilemma is, is it worth it? I know it is hard, especially after investing the time & money you guys have, to turn around & say "yeah, an XJ would have been wiser," but if that is the case let it be known! If anyone has the experience to compare a XJ to the SFA KJ, I'd really be interested in your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: So, honestly, how does it compare?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJpilot wrote:
So, honestly, how does the KJ with a SFA compare to an XJ?

I've been asking myself that question for awhile now. And the conclusive answer is simply, I like the KJ better. Its what fits you, your budget and your comfort.

Also, I choose the liberty because crowds from near and far say it cant do this, or that. It does, and well some of the time.

I plan for an SFA Swap in the future because logically, theres nothing wrong with KJ's. They just need a little help on the lift skyward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I already have an XJ. I think a better comparison would be a ZJ as it at least has front and rear coils where an XJ has rear leaf springs. I love how my XJ works and I wouldn't hesitate to build another one in the future. I am actually considering 4-linking the rear some day too.
I got my start w/ the KJ though and I love the overall platform. Its biggest shortcoming is that it started its life w/ IFS.... That can be fixed.

Funny thing is it is just as easy to invest $10-15k into an XJ as it is a KJ. The biggest expense is the axles you build for the project and any labor you have to pay for to get it all done.

To really answer your question, I will LYK for sure in a few months. :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I'm with JJ,
I blew 2 axles out on an old XJ I had. Granted I drive pretty hard... C Clips SUCK.
Anyway, the KJ is pretty damned cool now. The best time I've had in it was at a media run I attended in it recently...
With the long arms and the new 35's, ole girl went everywhere the TJ's and JK's went and a few places they couldn't.
Just the right combo of wheel base, track width and tire height. An XJ with rear leafs doesn't provide the same articulation and the suckers get pretty tippy when you lift them high enough to run a 35" tire. The KJ is so damned heavy, it takes a lot to make me feel like she's going over... the weight sits well in the center of the truck.

Just my .02, but I do drive a lot of trucks for work and the KJ is by far the most capable rig I've ever driven for the size. Even a well built 80 Series Cruiser doesn't compare, it's bigger and not as nimble...

If you can turn your own wrenches and are ok with tinkering with it a lot to get it just right, go SFA every time.

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:15 pm 
I live here
I live here

I would ask how the road manners are but it can't be compared to anything aside from the 2.5" lift or basic stock KJ.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
I would ask how the road manners are but it can't be compared to anything aside from the 2.5" lift or basic stock KJ.

I followed Wally (allyrand) up the mountain to Big Bear a couple weeks ago and I couldn't believe how his SFA was handling. I was in my wifes KJ w/ Frankenlift and it was swaying as much or more than his KJ and I was amazed at how fast he was able to take some of the turns and it went right through the middle of the lane. I can't wait!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My biggest reason for doing a SFA is now I will have a better choice of gear ratios and much wider choice of tires.I love my KJ and will never get rid of it,it's not the money I have in it but all the blood,sweat,and time.The KJ's unibody is also more rigid then the XJ,and who wants to be like other poeple.Doing a TJ,CJ,XJ,or JK is way to easy,now a KJ is a little more challenging,the way I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
My biggest reason for doing a SFA is now I will have a better choice of gear ratios and much wider choice of tires.I love my KJ and will never get rid of it,it's not the money I have in it but all the blood,sweat,and time.The KJ's unibody is also more rigid then the XJ,and who wants to be like other poeple.Doing a TJ,CJ,XJ,or JK is way to easy,now a KJ is a little more challenging,the way I like it.

:shock: YOU?! Daring to be different?! No way! :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Last time I was out 4x4ing, I seen two other KJ's. When I inquired - "No, we just pull the tent trailers with them." I said they should wheel with me today. They declined, thinking it was a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:31 pm 
Alak wrote:
Last time I was out 4x4ing, I seen two other KJ's. When I inquired - "No, we just pull the tent trailers with them." I said they should wheel with me today. They declined, thinking it was a joke.

You should have tied them up with rope & duct tape and made them go! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 pm 
tjkj2002 wrote:

I'm glad you brought up the unibody. That is the other complaint I hear from certain off-road snobs. They seam to think a body on frame construction would be better for off-roading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 pm 
ARBSeth wrote:
Just my .02, but I do drive a lot of trucks for work and the KJ is by far the most capable rig I've ever driven for the size. Even a well built 80 Series Cruiser doesn't compare, it's bigger and not as nimble...

If you can turn your own wrenches and are ok with tinkering with it a lot to get it just right, go SFA every time.

That is what I was hoping to get! a comparasion of the SFA KJ to other rigs. Thanks Seth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:13 am 
LOST Newbie

KJpilot wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

I'm glad you brought up the unibody. That is the other complaint I hear from certain off-road snobs. They seam to think a body on frame construction would be better for off-roading.

I think the Grand cherokee proved that wrong. Isn't that the biggest unibody with factory SA's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46 am 

I think mine handles as good or better than before. The tunabilty of the Nth Degree arms makes for an amazing ride.

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts