It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sort of an update.... Progress is being made.... Subframes are being built and bracketry for steering box is being worked on.

I also have some figures for parts expenses, etc.....

It looks like I will have about $2700 into my ARB locked, 4.56 geared, disc braked, KJ D44 rear axle when all is said and done w/ it. Because it was a rare bird, the housing was expensive but in the end it should make life easier w/ the speedo pick up built into the diff housing and keep from having to run a converter and figure it all out.

The Nth suspension lift, etc was pricey too at about $3,000. Some of that is for components that are unique to the SFA KJ project and not normal on a Nth TJ lift.

I am hoping to get up there in the next few days for pics and such.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:27 pm 
LOST Member

Awesome! How high are you going, 8"?, coilovers all the way around? Can't wait!

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZScout wrote:
Awesome! How high are you going, 8"?, coilovers all the way around? Can't wait!

10"-ish, coilovers in front, springs and coils in rear.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:22 am 
LOST Addict

JJsKJ wrote:
Sort of an update.... Progress is being made.... Subframes are being built and bracketry for steering box is being worked on.

It looks like I will have about $2700 into my ARB locked, 4.56 geared, disc braked, KJ D44 rear axle when all is said and done w/ it. Because it was a rare bird, the housing was expensive but in the end it should make life easier w/ the speedo pick up built into the diff housing and keep from having to run a converter and figure it all out.

The Nth suspension lift, etc was pricey too at about $3,000. Some of that is for components that are unique to the SFA KJ project and not normal on a Nth TJ lift.

So JJ have you been able to go over and have a look at the progress & take any more pics :?:

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CDKJ wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

So JJ have you been able to go over and have a look at the progress & take any more pics :?:

Yes. Unfortunately, they are on Quinns camera and not mine sice I forgot to take mine w/ me when I went up there last Thursday. I am hoping they will find the time to email them to me. I should have just taken the dang card w/ me and then mailed it back to them. Oh well.....

Anyhow, the lower portion of the subframes were welded in place, drilled and tapped for the bolts to hold the actual Nth subframe assy's that hold the control arms, belly skid, etc. Pretty much all of the old mounts and such had been plasma cut off and some clean up of those was taking place (flap wheel style gringing discs suck and cover you w/ lint). The upper front coil-over mounts were done and Steve was working on the steering box/front trac bar mount when I left.

The biggest progress was that I finally got that dang front axle built, bearing hubs/rotors installed, and Warn locking hubs installed too. Only took 5 trips just to finish all of that. Next time I will make darn sure I have EVERY part in place before even starting. Oh, and the lower coil over mounts had been installed on the front axle too.

Looking good. Hopefully I will have some pics to share in the near future.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: SFA KJ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:15 pm 
LOST Member

I was at Quinn's shop yesterday to pick up a part and JJ's SFA conversion is really coming out nice. Can't wait to see the final product. Wow I'm going to be wheeling with 2 SFA KJs here in Big Bear. JJ I like your D44 I thought you were going with 488 instead of 456? [/b]

Post subject: Re: SFA KJ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hoku5 wrote:
I was at Quinn's shop yesterday to pick up a part and JJ's SFA conversion is really coming out nice. Can't wait to see the final product. Wow I'm going to be wheeling with 2 SFA KJs here in Big Bear. JJ I like your D44 I thought you were going with 488 instead of 456? [/b]

Nope, I already had 4.56's for the front so to save money ( :lol: ROFLMFAO, yeah right) and hassle, I stuck w/ them.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: Re: SFA KJ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:12 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

hoku5 wrote:

I believe he's trying to save some money. I think either one, if not both of the axes were setup for 4.56. Althought that may have been originally before he acquired the new rear axel.

JJ, next time your up there bring all your parts AND a camera :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:08 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Is the 8.25 that bad that it wouldn't be easier to just beef it up? I am just curious.

Also, might a 9.25 Dodge have the same tone-ring provision? Narrowing a housing and chopping axles really isn't that expensive. The trouble/expense of finding that sweet KJ d44 makes it seem like a very very limited option.

Just doing some free thinking here.....

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

InCommando wrote:
Is the 8.25 that bad that it wouldn't be easier to just beef it up? I am just curious.

Also, might a 9.25 Dodge have the same tone-ring provision? Narrowing a housing and chopping axles really isn't that expensive. The trouble/expense of finding that sweet KJ d44 makes it seem like a very very limited option.

Just doing some free thinking here.....

You could use the 8.25, stick w/ 4.56's (Still think that is the lowest you can go but not positive), add in some alloys and an ARB and it would work fine w/ 33's. If you use the Nth rear stinger/diff skid setup you would have to modify it to work w/ the 8.25 though.

In case I decide to go deeper on the gears, I went w/ the D44 and it allows the Nth parts to mostly bolt right up.

The So. American KJ D44 would be tough to get and use so I am sure other options would work and be just fine. I had the chance to get one so I jumped.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, I had no idea they used D44 in Kj's in South America. Thats a neat little tid bit!

Couldnt you drill a hole in the top of a regular D44 and install the sensor?

Looks like its coming along nicely JJ!! Im interested to see how the steering is set-up and what all youve got to cut off the front end. Thats the only thing I wouldnt know how to approach.

Did N-th make those front control arms just for the KJ or what? How will the sway bar be incorporated into the suspension?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actually, it is funny how basic the overall design is. You are basically just copying how an XJ is set up. If you had a KJ and XJ side by side you could see the basics. You have to create a mount that will sandwich the front KJ "frame" area and provide for mounting of the steering box and trac bar. (though seperate on an XJ, you could see what I am talking about) Once it is built I will show some comparison shots of the XJ and final KJ product.

On the D44 deal, drilling the housing and mounting up a pick up sensor is what ARBSeth was going to do but I don't think he has done it yet. Positioning of it, drilling and tapping the holes, etc. would be less than fun in my opinion. The S.A. KJ D44 has the boss already incorprated into it w/ it machined flat, provision for sealing o-ring and mounting bolt hole drilled and tapped, etc. done. To be honest, It might not have been worth the added expense of buying this S.A. housing but it put my mind at ease that I won't have to worry about that aspect of the project and I still have a D44 which once built should hold up fine for a long time.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

More pics of progress finally.....
KJ D44 w/ Nth stinger/slider setup installed:

Nth subframe & mounts for control arms:

Belly pan/skid/trans mount assy, etc. pics: (Nice and Flat on bottom, even flatter than a TJ w/ Nth)
Front axle mounts, etc.

Tire and wheel combo.
Looks like it will be done just about in time for santa to bring it to me and put it in my stocking. More to come.....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking good,can't wait to rip mine apart,sadly about a 6-8 week wait for the AtlasII :evil: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:40 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I am drooling, slobering, panting, well it all looks so good :wink:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:25 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Dear Santa...Brady wanty SFA too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:25 am 
LOST Junkie

I knew my donation was going toward a good cause.

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 am 
LOST Member

Did you the sleave the unibody frame rails?

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Last edited by DoverKJ on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DoverKJ wrote:
Are the sleave the unibody frame rails?

Not really "sleeve" it, but there is a 3/8" thick piece of steel that is stich welded to the bottom of the "frame" that the Nth subframe assy bolts to and up into the factory "frame".

I am however, looking into adding to that and creating modified rock rails that will tie into the whole assy. and include flat plate along the bottom from the rails to the frame and some plating to the outside of the frame rail. It just never ends.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey JJ, I passed you when you were going home through apple valley. I hope you got alot done to that thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next