All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:15 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Rush345 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:
rockwells are too expensive and harder to come by, not to mention heavy as hell and too darn wide.

Rockwells aren't that expensive,i could build a set of rockwells for cheaper then the axles I'm going with(HP44 front,RockJock 60 rear,67" WMS to WMS and 65" WMS to WMS).As long as you get rid of the heavy drums they are really not much heavier then a full float D60 or C14.As for width after removing the drums and doing a hub reversal they are no wider then the axles I'm using,to use the steering rockwell you'll need to shorten the long side tube due to the offset toploader design.Oh and they are really easy to come by,any DOL aution or surplus yard will have them,and many brand new and never used.

Quote:
For a KJ a d44 up front is ideal IMO. cheap, easy to come by and strong up to a 33-35".
I'm using a HP 44 out of a F-100 so it's stronger then a TJ 44,1/2" tubes,I know the ring/pinion is the same but after putting in chromo axles I'll be able to go as high as 39" tires if I wanted,37" tires are no problem for the HP44,many guy's here in CO are wearing 37" or bigger with HP44's and have no problems on the rocks.

When you start this project if you don't mind I would love to look in and see this baby's birth. I'm up in Lakewood and the education of seeing this beast come to life would be worth the drive, and I'm more then happy to play gofer to you just to watch and learn. I've seen this done on TRUCK's TV a few years back, they called it Project Rock. He did as you had mention equiped it with 4 wheel hydraulic steering. It started as an Old Dodge Milatary Truck, but I never saw that project finished. By the way that Toyota Prius on this thread Now Thats My Idea Of A Hybrid :-)r :-)r
I'm not using RockWells,your more then welcome and stop by and see the SFA swap while it's being done in a few months.

Thanks I'll try and make a trip down, I would enjoy the additional education all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:33 pm 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:

I think its calculated in feet per gallon :twisted:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:14 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

tjkj2002 wrote:
ryno wrote:
tjkj2002-- Why put all the time and energy and money into a SFA swap for a KJ when you could buy a Wrangler a lot cheaper and be done with it? Just to be different? Or do you really love the body style of the KJ that much? :?
I don't want a Wrangler,everybody and there dog has one and my 12 year old sister could build one with all that available.I'm not saying I don't like Wranglers,heck I'm glad they have alot of aftermarket parts,since I'm using alot of them in my build.I like being different and like a challenge.And yeah the body style has grown on me after a few years.

I look at it this way,since I'll never sell my KJ(to much blood and sweat in it) I would need to buy a Wrangler then mod it,say about $30,000 for how well my KJ will be outfitted.So instead I'm going to spend half as much and built a KJ that will hang with just about any modded Wrangler(remember I said JUST ABOUT ANY,not all).Just makes more sence to me.

Yep... Wranglers are for girls :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:30 pm 
This member has been Banned

Wait a second! Wranglers are for girls and Libertys aren't? I think somebody's confused! The Wrangler is pure testosterone--a vehicular embodiment of every masculine quality in the universe. I've driven JKs quite a bit and you can't turn a corner in one without being checked out by multiple girls. Yet when I drive around in my KJ, more guys notice me than girls. It's the sad truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ryno wrote:
Wait a second! Wranglers are for girls and Libertys aren't? I think somebody's confused! The Wrangler is pure testosterone--a vehicular embodiment of every masculine quality in the universe. I've driven JKs quite a bit and you can't turn a corner in one without being checked out by multiple girls. Yet when I drive around in my KJ, more guys notice me than girls. It's the sad truth.
Out of all the KJ's I've seen over the years way more guy's have been driving them,about 60%+.When I was in Cali most of the Wranglers where driven by women.I'm not saying Wranglers are junk just not for me,not enough testosterone.Remember Jeeps are built not bought.

Oh and I pull alot of women(and get more looks from women even when parked next to a built-to-the-hilt TJ) with my KJ,but then again it's stands out-----
Your KJ isn't moded enough yet :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
ryno wrote:
Out of all the KJ's I've seen over the years way more guy's have been driving them,about 60%+.When I was in Cali most of the Wranglers where driven by women.I'm not saying Wranglers are junk just not for me,not enough testosterone.Remember Jeeps are built not bought.

Oh and I pull alot of women(and get more looks from women even when parked next to a built-to-the-hilt TJ) with my KJ,but then again it's stands out-----
Your KJ isn't moded enough yet :wink: .

maybe it has to do with the orange????? :twisted:
but it is probably the bumpers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:00 am 
LOST Junkie

You'd be surprised what a nice, huge rack can do for you (and your KJ) :roll: :lol: :oops:
Sorry to maintain the off-topicness, but young girls look in every vehicle they can for opportunities to catch a glimpse of a "hottie" :oops: . I'm 19, and let me tell you, I get more looks from youngens like myself but of opposite sex in my KJ than in my parents Audi TT....unless I have the top down and I'm around the high school when it lets out for the day. That's like a party on wheels. :wink: 8)

A just for on-topic's sake, I can't wait to wheel with the SFA Colorado KJs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:03 am 
LOST Addict

RespectMyLibertay wrote:
You'd be surprised what a nice, huge rack can do for you (and your KJ) :roll: :lol: :oops:
Sorry to maintain the off-topicness, but young girls look in every vehicle they can for opportunities to catch a glimpse of a "hottie" :oops: . I'm 19, and let me tell you, I get more looks from youngens like myself but of opposite sex in my KJ than in my parents Audi TT....unless I have the top down and I'm around the high school when it lets out for the day. That's like a party on wheels. :wink: 8)

A just for on-topic's sake, I can't wait to wheel with the SFA Colorado KJs!

WFT!!!
my kk doesn't do that for me :( :( :(
im 19 and no lookers
Rock lizard we so need to get this thing going...

Post subject: To those of the wrangler breed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 am 
LOST Addict

If you throw a rock in any parts store or after market shop designed for off road or not you will trip over a pleathera of part and toys for anything but KJ's. But start doing mods to a KJ it takes a little skull sweat,and creativeness which is what L.O.S.T. is about rather then take the easy well traveled trail. KJ owners blaze their own trails,with creativeness and imagination. It doesn't matter if it's just larger tires or a hugh lift with SFA's it's not easy and we at L.O.S.T. all work together to lead more off the well beaten path and show their indiviuality and imagination. This is why we are here if it isn't your cup of tea there are plenty of other Jeep forums but these brothers of the KJ are pioneers. If you don't care for this answer buy a Wrangler and have a nice day :shock: :D :P :twisted: :-)r :-)r

LEAD :D FOLLOW :shock: OR GET :P OUT :twisted: OF :roll: THE :wink: WAY :-)r :-)r

Post subject: Re: To those of the wrangler breed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:59 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Rush345 wrote:
If you throw a rock in any parts store or after market shop designed for off road or not you will trip over a pleathera of part and toys for anything but KJ's. But start doing mods to a KJ it takes a little skull sweat,and creativeness which is what L.O.S.T. is about rather then take the easy well traveled trail. KJ owners blaze their own trails,with creativeness and imagination. It doesn't matter if it's just larger tires or a hugh lift with SFA's it's not easy and we at L.O.S.T. all work together to lead more off the well beaten path and show their indiviuality and imagination. This is why we are here if it isn't your cup of tea there are plenty of other Jeep forums but these brothers of the KJ are pioneers. If you don't care for this answer buy a Wrangler and have a nice day :shock: :D :P :twisted: :-)r :-)r

LEAD :D FOLLOW :shock: OR GET :P OUT :twisted: OF :roll: THE :wink: WAY :-)r :-)r

Great answer...and so true, all you have to do is have Daddy buy a Wrangler for you and then take his credit card down to the 4 wheel drive shop and say call me when you are done! Some around Toledo like that and they are never seen dirty and if it rains they stay inside! :roll: :roll: :lol: Libertys take more thought and dreaming and then making it your own

Post subject: Re: To those of the wrangler breed
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:09 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

tommudd wrote:
all you have to do is have Daddy buy a Wrangler for you and then take his credit card down to the 4 wheel drive shop and say call me when you are done! Some around Toledo like that and they are never seen dirty and if it rains they stay inside! :roll: :roll: :lol: Libertys take more thought and dreaming and then making it your own

Half the fun of modifying my KJ has been researching and dreaming up possibilities. The other half has been gradually turning into a gravel-back tool puller and getting greasy. If I'd known it was this much fun lying under a vehicle and cussing at bolts I'd have started sooner. :lol:
My brother has a stock TJ and it never sees dirt. That's just his thang. My good buddy has one and he is doing a lot of planning and modifying on his. We talk a lot about what we should do next to our Jeeps, but it never comes down to whose is best. We just like Jeeps. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:07 pm 
LOST Addict

I match your rockwell and raise you a caterpillar axle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:13 pm 
I live here
I live here

That thing probably weighs more than the KJ itself.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:20 pm 
LOST Addict

most likely, i will get a weight for you later...that is why you beat the engine compartment out to fit this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
That thing probably weighs more than the KJ itself.
Oh probally by 2000-3000 lbs more then a KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

From the book

9. Attach a suitable lifting device on both ends of the oscillating axle. The weight of the oscillating axle is approximately 2220 kg (4900 lb)

note, does not include tires or rims

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:12 am 
LOST Addict

Diggerfreek wrote:
From the book

9. Attach a suitable lifting device on both ends of the oscillating axle. The weight of the oscillating axle is approximately 2220 kg (4900 lb)

note, does not include tires or rims

At least you would never have to worry about blowing out you diff' :twisted: :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:08 am 
This member has been Banned

Diggerfreek wrote:
I match your rockwell and raise you a caterpillar axle

Holy crap. :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 am 
LOST Newbie

hello,
Just a suggestion...you could use unimog axels just like they did to this wrangler.Image.
below is the original setup next to the Unimog setup...

ARB Bull Bar
T-Max EW-9000 Competition(still to fit)
235/70R16 BFGs AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ryno wrote:
Wait a second! Wranglers are for girls and Libertys aren't? I think somebody's confused! The Wrangler is pure testosterone--a vehicular embodiment of every masculine quality in the universe......when I drive around in my KJ, more guys notice me than girls. It's the sad truth.

x2...the KJ is a great little off roader but it just aint gona have the same sex appeal the CJs, YJs, and TJs got...plain and simple. Somethin bout a Wrangler screams masculinity, ruggedness, redneck, country boy, outdoorsy...now some of them guys who buy wranglers just wana pose as any of those images, but some of us really do embody those images and take em to heart...my family is jeep freaks, its a right of passage to own a jeep basically...

Sorry to say it yall but unless you got yourself a SFA KJ or a bright orange two toned KJ (who in the hells got one of them :twisted: :wink: ) you aint gona get the same respect from the ladies, if thats what you want, or the rest of the jeep world. Its sad, and I aint sayin I dont respect the KJs...for what they are and the ones Ive wheeled hard with they do awesome...just not the symbolic image of freedom, go anywhere, do anything, outdoors image that the wranglers got 8) Just my $.02 cents on the issue...

O yea and to those who thought they would be gettin looks from girls in a KK...jeesh Im sorry I aint even gona touch that one :roll: :lol:

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!