It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rockwell's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:31 am 
LOST Addict

I've only been L.O.S.T. since July but I dpn't think I've anybody using this set up. I it's is here and I'm just asleep at the wheel. Be Gentle :shock:
Any way Here is a site some body with the feever really bad will be all over this.

Go To: http://www.usa6x6.com/products_and_serv ... kwell.html

OR : http://www.stazworks.com/axels.htm

or : http://www.citruscountycustoms.com/

or : http://www.trucks.com/parts_inventory.asp?category=14

as I said I'm not trying to stir things up , But wouldn't these be the ultimate SFA????

Post subject: Re: Rockwell's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rush345 wrote:
I've only been L.O.S.T. since July but I dpn't think I've anybody using this set up. I it's is here and I'm just asleep at the wheel. Be Gentle :shock:
Any way Here is a site some body with the feever really bad will be all over this.

Go To: http://www.usa6x6.com/products_and_serv ... kwell.html

OR : http://www.stazworks.com/axels.htm

or : http://www.citruscountycustoms.com/

or : http://www.trucks.com/parts_inventory.asp?category=14

as I said I'm not trying to stir things up , But wouldn't these be the ultimate SFA????

Overkill for what I would need for sure. I did think about portal axles though and I was real close to buying a pair of Mog axles. I didn't want to add more issues to the job though seeing as how nobody had done the KJ w/ them yet. I have had enough small challenges just trying to use the "normal" axles I ended up w/.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh great,I see me changing my mind again after you posted up about RockWells Rush345 :twisted: ! HMMMMMM a KJ sitting on 54" Interco Boggers,nice,very nice :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: !!!!

Hey I've seen Sami's with RockWells and 44" boggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

you would really have a lot of weight down low that way, axles would weigh almost as much as The Liberty wouldnt they? Someone needs to photoshop that though...a Liberty on 54s.
I know what my Dodge van looked like on 40s ..I can only imagine! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:42 pm 
I live here
I live here

Much smaller risk of tipping over with low weight to the ground.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
you would really have a lot of weight down low that way, axles would weigh almost as much as The Liberty wouldnt they? Someone needs to photoshop that though...a Liberty on 54s.
I know what my Dodge van looked like on 40s ..I can only imagine! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Tom
If you do the disc brake conversion you save about 160+lbs per axle,so they would be about 700-750lbs a piece.Oh and why not get 2 steering axles and make it 4 wheel steer!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Tom
If you do the disc brake conversion you save about 160+lbs per axle,so they would be about 700-750lbs a piece.Oh and why not get 2 steering axles and make it 4 wheel steer!!!!

Now your talking all it would take one being built and I dare anybody to call it a girly Jeep :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

dont know how the little 3.7 would take to that...

255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:
W/ proper gearing it would crawl like mad.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:
Well with 6.72 gearing(the only gear ratio available) it would be no problem for the 3.7 to turn them.I have seen a Sami with RockWells under it with the 1.6L(110hp I believe) engine swap from a Goe Tracker turning 44" boggers,no highway machine but crawls rocks real good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rockwells are too expensive and harder to come by, not to mention heavy as hell and too darn wide.

d60/14 bolt is a great combo with upgraded 35 spline outer stub shafts. proven combo even up to 44" tires with high HP. 95% of comp guys run a front 60 with a 60/14 in the rear.

For a KJ a d44 up front is ideal IMO. cheap, easy to come by and strong up to a 33-35".

Anything bigger and your just working with the wrong platform....

only way that sammy guy is pushing those 44" is gearing in the axles and the t-case, probably has double t-cases pushing a near 10:1 ratio.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 pm 

krazz1e wrote:
rockwells are too expensive and harder to come by, not to mention heavy as hell and too darn wide.

d60/14 bolt is a great combo with upgraded 35 spline outer stub shafts. proven combo even up to 44" tires with high HP. 95% of comp guys run a front 60 with a 60/14 in the rear.

For a KJ a d44 up front is ideal IMO. cheap, easy to come by and strong up to a 33-35".

Anything bigger and your just working with the wrong platform....

only way that sammy guy is pushing those 44" is gearing in the axles and the t-case, probably has double t-cases pushing a near 10:1 ratio.

we all understand that but its still fun to say what if!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:

Rockwells aren't that expensive,i could build a set of rockwells for cheaper then the axles I'm going with(HP44 front,RockJock 60 rear,67" WMS to WMS and 65" WMS to WMS).As long as you get rid of the heavy drums they are really not much heavier then a full float D60 or C14.As for width after removing the drums and doing a hub reversal they are no wider then the axles I'm using,to use the steering rockwell you'll need to shorten the long side tube due to the offset toploader design.Oh and they are really easy to come by,any DOL aution or surplus yard will have them,and many brand new and never used.

Quote:
I'm using a HP 44 out of a F-100 so it's stronger then a TJ 44,1/2" tubes,I know the ring/pinion is the same but after putting in chromo axles I'll be able to go as high as 39" tires if I wanted,37" tires are no problem for the HP44,many guy's here in CO are wearing 37" or bigger with HP44's and have no problems on the rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I like the rock rails... with the step way down below. Needs a roll cage, though. So hows the MPG? Is it is good as they say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:36 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:

Rockwells aren't that expensive,i could build a set of rockwells for cheaper then the axles I'm going with(HP44 front,RockJock 60 rear,67" WMS to WMS and 65" WMS to WMS).As long as you get rid of the heavy drums they are really not much heavier then a full float D60 or C14.As for width after removing the drums and doing a hub reversal they are no wider then the axles I'm using,to use the steering rockwell you'll need to shorten the long side tube due to the offset toploader design.Oh and they are really easy to come by,any DOL aution or surplus yard will have them,and many brand new and never used.

Quote:
I'm using a HP 44 out of a F-100 so it's stronger then a TJ 44,1/2" tubes,I know the ring/pinion is the same but after putting in chromo axles I'll be able to go as high as 39" tires if I wanted,37" tires are no problem for the HP44,many guy's here in CO are wearing 37" or bigger with HP44's and have no problems on the rocks.

When you start this project if you don't mind I would love to look in and see this baby's birth. I'm up in Lakewood and the education of seeing this beast come to life would be worth the drive, and I'm more then happy to play gofer to you just to watch and learn. I've seen this done on TRUCK's TV a few years back, they called it Project Rock. He did as you had mention equiped it with 4 wheel hydraulic steering. It started as an Old Dodge Milatary Truck, but I never saw that project finished. By the way that Toyota Prius on this thread Now Thats My Idea Of A Hybrid :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rush345 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

When you start this project if you don't mind I would love to look in and see this baby's birth. I'm up in Lakewood and the education of seeing this beast come to life would be worth the drive, and I'm more then happy to play gofer to you just to watch and learn. I've seen this done on TRUCK's TV a few years back, they called it Project Rock. He did as you had mention equiped it with 4 wheel hydraulic steering. It started as an Old Dodge Milatary Truck, but I never saw that project finished. By the way that Toyota Prius on this thread Now Thats My Idea Of A Hybrid :-)r :-)r
I'm not using RockWells,your more then welcome and stop by and see the SFA swap while it's being done in a few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 pm 
This member has been Banned

tjkj2002-- Why put all the time and energy and money into a SFA swap for a KJ when you could buy a Wrangler a lot cheaper and be done with it? Just to be different? Or do you really love the body style of the KJ that much? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

WHY NOT.... :twisted: ITS NOT WASTED MONEY IF ITS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DO. I DOUBT HE PLANS ON SELLING THE THING ANYTIME SOON AS HE BOUGHT IT BACK IN THE DAY AND JUST KEEPS ADDING MORE AND MORE STUFF TO IT.

2005 RENEGADE 4X4
2.5 RUSTYS LIFT
245/75/16 GOODYEAR MTR'S
FULL TINT
13 MILES TO THE GALLON.....GOD darn HAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ryno wrote:
tjkj2002-- Why put all the time and energy and money into a SFA swap for a KJ when you could buy a Wrangler a lot cheaper and be done with it? Just to be different? Or do you really love the body style of the KJ that much? :?
I don't want a Wrangler,everybody and there dog has one and my 12 year old sister could build one with all that available.I'm not saying I don't like Wranglers,heck I'm glad they have alot of aftermarket parts,since I'm using alot of them in my build.I like being different and like a challenge.And yeah the body style has grown on me after a few years.

I look at it this way,since I'll never sell my KJ(to much blood and sweat in it) I would need to buy a Wrangler then mod it,say about $30,000 for how well my KJ will be outfitted.So instead I'm going to spend half as much and built a KJ that will hang with just about any modded Wrangler(remember I said JUST ABOUT ANY,not all).Just makes more sence to me.