It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shopping list and..
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I went to my local Jeep Club meeting, held at the local Jeep dealership, and afterwards started talking with some buddies and a local rep of 4 Wheel Parts that is a member of the club. Seems he wants to start a shopping list of components and hardware I would need in order to perform a successful SFA swap on my KJ. While I am all for it, I plan on waiting till I'm out of warranty to do anything that extreme on my rig. That all being said I'm starting a shopping list of sorts for what all would be required to get the job started and also what to expect along the way. I'm hoping to work the now 2 club members and their manager at the local 4 Wheel Parts store with getting some shop time and rubbing elbows with their head welder to see if I can get some discount work done once/if the project should commence in the future. With the 2 Jeep Club members working for the local store, getting assistance and getting some spare parts should not be too difficult I hope, just a matter of time and money.

However, to get things started on the list, I have saved JediJeepers web page writeup of his SFA conversion so that seems to be a great start for now. But can anyone follow up with me on how well is setup did off-road and on the street?? Did he encounter any mechanical issues with his setup or brackets or anything?? My biggest worry with a project like this is some form of fabrication and welding going wrong in the process. Then I'm on the trail and something horribly wrong occurs with a weld or something like that. So having a good shop like 4WP do the work and me watching closely and knowing what should be expected of things is key to this potential build.

My current thinking now is I would like Dana 44s with 4.88 gears and lockers. I want to run 35s and nothing higher (or so my thought process is now). As for springs and suspension setup I recall Jedi used TJ Springs from a Teraflex lift??? But any help or guidance in this area would be appreciated.

I know my new friends at 4WP can help me out too but getting info from first hand folk in dealing with a SFA swap on a KJ would be ideal. Thanks for any pointers and tips. I'll be reading through a lot of posts and information the next few weeks and for a while in general so as to make the right decisions in where to go on this sort of project. But from the help it seems I might get here locally it seems a very good possibility that once the warranty is out, I may have 2 solid axles under my KJ...time will tell friends.

-Scott

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487