It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Axles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 am 
LOST Member

What kind of axles would be the best 2 use? I am looking for parts I think I might want to do this.

Post subject: Re: Axles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

djformi wrote:
What kind of axles would be the best 2 use? I am looking for parts I think I might want to do this.

Depends on what you want to end up w/ and what kind of money you want to throw at it.

You can easily build a very capable rig w/ an 8.25 and HP D30 as Wally did. Just beef up the parts enough and it will work fine. Wally has even been running on stock axle shafts both front and rear and driven his KJ hard on many occasions.

Figure out what you want from your KJ and then go from there. remember, you can always UPgrade your SFA KJ after you build it. :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Like JJ said it depends on how wild and your budget.You can go HP30 and 8.25,D44's F/R,or like me HP44 and D60(or like USAFCOP,HP44 and Ford 9").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

...or..... Portals, 2.5 tons, etc, etc...... it never ends. :twisted:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
djformi wrote:

Depends on what you want to end up w/ and what kind of money you want to throw at it.

You can easily build a very capable rig w/ an 8.25 and HP D30 as Wally did. Just beef up the parts enough and it will work fine. Wally has even been running on stock axle shafts both front and rear and driven his KJ hard on many occasions.

Figure out what you want from your KJ and then go from there. remember, you can always UPgrade your SFA KJ after you build it. :wink:

how much would it cost to go this route?

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jsc7002 wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
djformi wrote:

how much would it cost to go this route?

Too many variables to give a good estimate. Start a shopping list of the parts and it starts to add up quick. Regearing the axles and adding in lockers will set you back about $750-1K + per axle depending on which lockers, which gears, purchase price of the front axle, etc. Which lift parts you will use or who will custom make them and using what materials, figure in $1k + for wheels and tires unless you score a deal on used stuff, steering box and steering parts, shocks, springs, coil-overs, etc. labor for taking it all apart and putting it all together....

I would ry to have a budget of about $8-10K for a job like this but if you can source good deals on used parts you can save money and even more so if you can do the work yourself.

i don't even want to think about how much i will have in mine when it is all said and done but I will Try to share that w/ everyone so they too can be shocked and awed by it all. :shock: :shock:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

JJsKJ wrote:
djformi wrote:

I can use the stock axles? D44' are in rubis??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 pm 
LOST Member

I see a lot of axles/parts on pirate4x4.com but have no idea what to get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes, you can use stock Rubi axles and they would work well but you might want to regear if going to a tire over 32" since they only have 4.10's stock. I have seen Rubi axles w/ lower gears though for sale and that might be a good way to go too.

Basically your best/cheapest bet is to get a High pinion Dana 30 from an XJ and regear it and add a locker Or find one that is already geared and locked, the benefit of finding a modded one is you might also get upgraded steering w/ it too which would save money. The 8.25 rear can be built plenty stout to handle 33's so you might want to just stick w/ that, add gears, alloy axles and an ARB and call it a day. you could also get a D44 out of an Early XJ and do the same to it but there would be issues w/ then needing disc brakes, etc added to the rear.

as for Pirate, there are usually some good deals on there for axles but once again, you really need to decide what your end goal is, your max tire size, type of wheeling, etc. before knowing what to go shopping for.

Potentially a good deal:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635991

Not as good a deal but has potential:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635942

Basically, you are looking for a driver side drop front axle, meaning the pumpkin/diff/center section, etc. is on the driver side. This way it will line up w/ your transfer case forward output.
On the rear you just need a centered diff, center section which most diffs are. Bigger isn't always better and a D60 while beefy as hell is also larger in the center section and takes up more ground clearance than other axles.

as you can tell, there are a lot of variables to consider and manny different ways to do the job. It is up to you to decide what your end goal is then start shopping.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BTW, My D44 and D30 combo w/ Detorit rear and ARB front and 4.56's would work great and survive for up to 35's if you are not heavy on the throttle often. I can make a package deal on them. They do need a little work to be ready to bolt in but then so would any other set of axles.

BTW, Where are you located?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

You can have my HP30, 4:56's and 30 spline 4340 shafts. Make an offer ;)
It's too small for my 35's and a V8... going with a D44 now.

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:34 pm 
LOST Member

JJsKJ wrote:
BTW, My D44 and D30 combo w/ Detorit rear and ARB front and 4.56's would work great and survive for up to 35's if you are not heavy on the throttle often. I can make a package deal on them. They do need a little work to be ready to bolt in but then so would any other set of axles.

What would this cost me? I am in MD clear across the states.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

djformi wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

What would this cost me? I am in MD clear across the states.....

W/ shipping it would probably be cost prohibitive. You could probably find a similar deal closer to you. Start hitting Craigslist, Pirate, Ebay and any other web sites that are on the East coast.
Good luck!!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Yes, you can use stock Rubi axles and they would work well but you might want to regear if going to a tire over 32" since they only have 4.10's stock. I have seen Rubi axles w/ lower gears though for sale and that might be a good way to go too.

Basically your best/cheapest bet is to get a High pinion Dana 30 from an XJ and regear it and add a locker Or find one that is already geared and locked, the benefit of finding a modded one is you might also get upgraded steering w/ it too which would save money. The 8.25 rear can be built plenty stout to handle 33's so you might want to just stick w/ that, add gears, alloy axles and an ARB and call it a day. you could also get a D44 out of an Early XJ and do the same to it but there would be issues w/ then needing disc brakes, etc added to the rear.

as for Pirate, there are usually some good deals on there for axles but once again, you really need to decide what your end goal is, your max tire size, type of wheeling, etc. before knowing what to go shopping for.

Potentially a good deal:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635991

Not as good a deal but has potential:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635942

Basically, you are looking for a driver side drop front axle, meaning the pumpkin/diff/center section, etc. is on the driver side. This way it will line up w/ your transfer case forward output.
On the rear you just need a centered diff, center section which most diffs are. Bigger isn't always better and a D60 while beefy as hell is also larger in the center section and takes up more ground clearance than other axles.

as you can tell, there are a lot of variables to consider and manny different ways to do the job. It is up to you to decide what your end goal is then start shopping.

So what gears would I use for the stock d44's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

Any of these work?

hp44 housing set up for SOA YJ
hp44 from 78 bronco cast . untouched. Complete minus one rotor hub assy.

Also heard that you could use one form a explorer this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

djformi wrote:
Any of these work?

hp44 housing set up for SOA YJ
hp44 from 78 bronco cast . untouched. Complete minus one rotor hub assy.

Also heard that you could use one form a explorer this true?
Gearing depends on what size tires you want to run. You can get away w/ 4.56's w/ 33" tires but would probably want to go lower (Numerically higher) w/ 35" tires. I stuck w/ 4.56's as on the road it won't be that bad for cruising and my Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case will make up for the gearing off road.

Axle choice is dependant on how you will set up the suspension. I am pretty sure either of those front axles could be made to work by changing the bracketry on them. To keep the project simpler, you might try just running a coil sprung front axle from a Wrangler or Cherokee which means they would be D30's or D44's and running lift components made for the TJ or XJ but using coil-overs for the front instead of seperate springs and shocks.

Lets help you build your Jeep........ :twisted:

How much $$$$$ do you have to spend on the whole project?
How much tire do you want to run?
Where/ what type of wheeling do you want to be able to do for the next few years?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:48 am 
LOST Member

I have some money not like thousands of dollars but I can get this here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

djformi wrote:
I have some money not like thousands of dollars but I can get this here and there.

Unless you can do all the work yourself it is going to cost several thousand $$ to just think about doing this project.

Once I am all done I will have close to $20k invested in mine and I have done some of the work and scored some good deals on parts. Yep, I feel crazy for spending that much but wth, you can't take it w/ ya and the fun will be priceless.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:45 pm 
LOST Member

I can do with my father in law. Working on it is no issue. I scavenging the local junk yards, craigslist and various forums for parts. Just its hard when I dont know what to look for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nothings cheap anyway, just cost out the other routes to see that you pretty much need an endless supply of money.

On a stock KJ,
Add ARB lockers front and back to stock diffs ~ $3000 with labor
2.5 inch suspension lift ~ $1500 with labor (Frankenlift as example)
4-6 inch lift ~ $3000 parts and labor (JeepbyAl)
So your looking at $4500 to $6000 already. Not to say that there aren't cheaper routes, but you get what you pay for...

so SFA at $10k with lockers and lift... Not that bad.