It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, what does it take?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Is anyone willing to post up a suggested parts and "how-to" list? Yeah, there are a several different options, but to have a basline to work off of would keep everyone from having to reinvent the wheel with each KJ.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject: Re: So, what does it take?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

InCommando wrote:
Is anyone willing to post up a suggested parts and "how-to" list? Yeah, there are a several different options, but to have a basline to work off of would keep everyone from having to reinvent the wheel with each KJ.
To many variables to do anytype of "list".There have been at least 8 known SFA KJ's and except for Wally's,Seth's(which he sold),and JJ's all the others have been totally different(with minor differances between the 3 listed also).

If you really want a "list",here it is-------

1.A solid front axle(any will do)
2.Alot of $$$$
3.You choose how to mount it
4.Add here anything else you want to modify(t-case,rear axle,and such)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:39 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

maybe the best way to word it would be
possible front axles
" rear axles

what to watch out for i.e. steering box , linkage etc

I know that it would be impossible for anyone to make a PERFECT list as everyone will want to add their own touches, but a general list of items PLUS that open back door to the local bank :twisted:

just a thought :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:07 am 
LOST Addict

now I am not much of an off roader but I will admit I am addicted to my jeep. Now the idea of an SFA is very appealing to me but all these sfa's that I see are SOOO tall.

is there a suspension setup out there that can be used and still fit 33's?

My idea was HP30 in front, 8.25 in back, 4.56 all around. 33's with just enough lift to fit them and not be too tall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:29 am 
LOST Member

Familiarize yourself with terms like: antisquat, antidive, roll center, instant center, roll axis, link lengths, wristed arm, 3,4,5 link, double triangulated and so on.

The steering box might have to be moved. Depending on how wide the axles are, the frame may have to be narrowed. Fuel tank moved. Is there room for extra frame cross members to mount links to. What type of steering: full hydro, assisted hydro, mounting a high volume P.S. pump to turn big tires. Does the frame need to be reinforced? Heim joints, Jonny joints. Drive shaft requiements. Axles should be a minimum of a D-44 in front and D-60 in rear or 9". The list goes on and on. Coil springs, coil overs, airshocks, air bags. Giant money pit. Buy a used rig that is built. Unless you can do everything yourself, you'll spend 5 to 10 g's depending on how you build it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

IF you take a look at how the KJ "frame" is built you will see that it is part of the height problem. Not sure if I will explain it right but here goes...
The frame is tall and since most everything has to mount under it you are limited to maintaining room under the frame for the suspension to actually work. My front axle for example is pretty close to the frame and there is a limited amount of clearance under it for the suspension to flex. That is part of the reason it sits the way it does. If I were to lower the front much more the axle would be hitting the frame when it flexes. Between the tall height of the frame and the tall roof height of the KJ, you end up w/ a tall looking vehicle. My 2.5" lifted KJ on 245/75's roof sits as high as my 6" lifted on 285/75's XJ's roof.
If you were to take the time to notch the front frame (assuming you could and still allow room for the engine, etc.) and go w/ hydro steering instead of needing a place to mount the steering box, you might be able to get it a little lower that way. I am interested to see how the height of TJKJ's and USAF's come out as I know they are going to try and run it all lower and wider. I see some possible ways to do that but I imagine the extra amount of work to make it happen would be tough to do and much more expensive.
One thing to note on the KJ is that the majority of the weight is below the centerline of the vehicle, similar to a Rover, and it is farily stable in a SFA configuration. I have seen Seths and Wallys both off camber and they appeared stable. I know they both have been driven hard in some crazy situations and rarely even lifted a tire or appeared tippy. Hopefully that remains the case or I will wish I did the Exo I planned.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: Lowering the Lift
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:37 pm 
LOST Member

John, is this what you meant by this statement?

Quote:
There is a chance the height might come down some. I am working out the details and tuning, etc and when it is all said and done it might sit up to 2" lower than now on the 33's.

How much work is this do you think? Can you just cut and weld some supporting pieces?

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject: Re: Lowering the Lift
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZScout wrote:
John, is this what you meant by this statement?

Quote:
There is a chance the height might come down some. I am working out the details and tuning, etc and when it is all said and done it might sit up to 2" lower than now on the 33's.

How much work is this do you think? Can you just cut and weld some supporting pieces?

Shorter, softer rear springs and adjust the front down a little. No cutting or welding required.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal