It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFA Parts, prices, etc. Hope you are sitting down......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2003, Jeep Liberty Sport, Ordered from factory in Dec. 02. Paid $23k out the door for it. Currently has about 40k miles on it.
SFA PARTS
FRONT AXLE ASSY:
Front HPD30 axle assy - $1800 (from a mid to late 90's XJ)
Included WJ knuckles, calipers, rotors, 4.56 gears, housing w/ raised track-bar mount and adjustable trac-bar, chromoly tie-rod and drag link assy. w/ new WJ rod ends, axle tube seals, new upper and lower ball joints, *
Used Alloy axles w/ CTM’s & Warn hubs - $750
Front D30 ARB locker - $787
ARB Install labor $80
Front axle 4.56 gear assy. labor - $420
Front bearings and seals - $90
Crane Cover - $100
Shipping to machine front rotors - $29.18

Front Fox coil over shocks - #980-99-004-A, 10” x 2.0” Pro Series, Shaft 0.625, Extended = 26.65, Collapsed = 16.65 - $225ea x 2
Eibach Coil over springs, 2 ea. 10” travel, 550 lb - $79.99 ea. = $159.98 (ERS1000250550)
Eibach Coil over springs, 2 ea. 10” travel, 450 lb - $79.99 ea. = $159.98 (ERS1000250450)
Shipping for front = $13.99

Currie Anti-Rock Sway bar system - $325

REAR AXLE ASSY:
KJ D44 Rear axle - $1000
D44 install kit - $85
D44 Yukon 4.56 gears - $190
Axle gear install labor - $420
Axle mod labor - $340 (Fabricate brackets, modify slider, etc.)
Rear ARB locker - $858
ARB install Labor - $80
Crane cover - $150

Rear shocks - $220 (supplied, 10” Bilstein 5150)
Rear springs, OME864, VHD, FJ80 – 2 ea. - $74.99ea. = $149.98 (Now Spares)
shipping for rear springs - $23.10
Rear Springs, OME863, HD FJ80 – 2 ea. – $75.75ea. = $151.50 (ON VEHICLE)
shipping for rear springs - $14.87

REAR BRAKES:
Rear calipers - $75 ea. RRL $150 (P/N 1-05191824AA Mopar)
Rear pads - $45 (P/N ss-7863-X Napa)
Rear rotors - $93 pair
Rear backing plates - $111 ea. TTL $222 (P/N 1-52128414AB, 1-42128415AB Mopar)

LIFT:
Nth Degree long arm lift kit – $2901.85 + $168.72 UPS = $3070.57

TRANSFER CASE & DRIVELINES:
Rubicon NV241 transfer case - $800 (net, used, supplied)
Rear Yoke for transfer case - $70
JE Reel front drive shaft - $275 (supplied)
JE Reel REAR DS - $305

STEERING:
Steering box assy. - $261 (supplied)
Power steering hoses - $55 (custom)
Ford Pitman arm, #268-1675 - $128.80
Front steering linkage consisting of WJ parts shown above on front axle*

TIRES & WHEELS:
Tires – 5 ea. 305/70-16 Maxxis Bighorn radials - $855
Wheels - $400 (Cragar P/N PCW97-6865 16x8 Offroadtoystore.com)
Mount & balance - $75

Exhaust, custom y-pipe and full system to the tail pipe w/ Magnaflow muffler - $526

MISC. hardware, supplies, etc. - $75
Almost 100 hours of labor @ $85 per hour. I did work off some of that by helping during the tear down and by doing some of the axle assy work myself. Labor consisted of some suspension fabrication, brackets, etc. Building subframes and belly skid, welding brackets onto axles, etc.

It is what it is. The process was long and involved and as you can see, very expensive. It could have been done much cheaper if I had gone w/ cheaper axles/parts or a cheaper lift but there is no way I would trade my flat belly and contoured arms with all that center clearance for any other suspension system. Using a TJ 231 transfer case and modifying some CV driveshafts would save some more coin too as would finding deals on other stuff like tires & wheels, built, used axles, etc.

Labor of course depnds on the going rate in your area and what you can do yourself.

Before the flames start about what I could have bought for this much money, please understand that I Fully know what could have been. A SFA KJ is what I wanted and I paid the price for it. I will own this KJ until it goes to the junk yard. It is my 1st Jeep and the things I have done, people I have met and places I have been in it are Priceless to me and I would pay double what I have in this Jeep just to have half as much fun as the last few years have been.
:D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Last edited by JJsTJ on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Before the flames start about what I could have bought for this much money, please understand that I Fully know what could have been. A SFA KJ is what I wanted and I paid the price for it. I will own this KJ until it goes to the junk yard. It is my 1st Jeep and the things I have done, people I have met and places I have been in it are Priceless to me and I would pay double what I have in this Jeep just to have half as much fun as the last few years have been.
Well put,the same goes for my KJ(but it was my 3rd Jeep).I have to much time,blood,and love in mine to ever part with(money is no factor,more can always be made).Boy should I start with my list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 pm 
good lord, JJ, don't you know you could've bought 30 rusty old busted up leaky smoky YJs for that much money :o

I didn't add it up...and I don't want to...but this should be made a sticky for all the "HOW MUCH DOES IT COST" questions. Betcha AllJ's will sell a LOT more Frankenlifts that way :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:21 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Flame nothing. It is your rig, you built it like you wanted it, and you only have to satisfy yourself.

Yeah, you could have done it cheaper. Or you could have spent twice as much. At least you did it.

Thanks for posting that up. I wanted to see some sort of list, more out of curiosity than anything. It was an interesting read.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Last edited by InCommando on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey JJ got a ? about those OME 864's.Can you guess on how much lift they gave you?From stock hieght or how much extra from your lifted,non-SFA hieght will do.I'm just trying to figure out rear springs,looking for about 7" from stock,but I am very heavy in the rear.Might look at the 8" rear springs off of Al's web site,should droop to 7" with all my wieght.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Hey JJ got a ? about those OME 864's.Can you guess on how much lift they gave you?From stock hieght or how much extra from your lifted,non-SFA hieght will do.I'm just trying to figure out rear springs,looking for about 7" from stock,but I am very heavy in the rear.Might look at the 8" rear springs off of Al's web site,should droop to 7" with all my wieght.

Too much. Unfortunately I never took before measurements. I can get you after measurements though and compare to my wifes KJ. I am not sure they are going to work for me. I think my rear height needs to go down about 2" from where it is now. I do still need to add the gas tank skid, All J interior rack and tire carrier and Hi-lift but not sure that is going to settle them all that much. I will be adding a bunch of weight to it though this afternoon and driving it around to see how it looks and feels. If that doesn't work, I will try the next softer OME spring.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:38 pm 
LOST Addict

I think we need more pictures. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm 
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin

:shock: WoW!

That is one hell of a shopping list there JJ. But like you said that Jeep is priceless with the memories you have made with it! Hell if I actually had the funds i would be doing the same thing. Good on ya man and I hope that rig outlasts you and treats ya right in the process!

Oh and the grand total is......................................................

$24,555.62!

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And true to being a Jeep, Still not finished and probably never will be. :twisted: Just wait till phase two starts.......

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

"Before the flames start about what I could have bought for this much money, please understand that I Fully know what could have been."

I have come to the conclusion that doing it right (first class) is generally cheaper in the long run by the time you factor in the cost of replacing second rate parts as well as the "aggravation factor" of the project not being what you really wanted.

I do not have a college degree but I have a PhD from the school of hard knocks.

06 Grand Cherokee 2WD (wife's SUV)!
04 Kubota 4WD Tractor
LOST KJ Lifetime Member 96. btolle - BT052304

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Over the years I have built them both ways and its way easier to save up the money and do it right the first time out, I like working on them , but thses guys are doing it right besides "its only money" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:55 am 
LOST Junkie

WOW!! Quite an impressive list of parts that you have. 24,5, that's nothing. Just gave that away this year. (note to self- dont get divorced again) Man that's a sobering thought. John you have a great ride and I know you're going to love tearing down the trails. Cant wait to see it. Let me know when you do take it to the junk yard though. laters,mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Signcutter21 wrote:
WOW!! Quite an impressive list of parts that you have. 24,5, that's nothing. Just gave that away this year. (note to self- dont get divorced again) Man that's a sobering thought. John you have a great ride and I know you're going to love tearing down the trails. Cant wait to see it. Let me know when you do take it to the junk yard though. laters,mike

Nope, Sorry, Only Tread Lightly for me TYVM....... :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Forgot the ARB CKMA12 High Output Compressor I am working on installing right now. Paid about $250-ish IIRC. Pics to come of the mounting, of that beast.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Wow, but thats what I expected. The thing that gets me is the axles. I am doing SAS on my pickup and bought two d44 Rubicon axles with Elockers, disc brakes, etc. from Chrysler yesterday for $2600. I think these would be the perfect axle for the Liberty swaps, and darn cheap in my opinion not to mention you get that HP front axle.

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

spencevans wrote:
Wow, but thats what I expected. The thing that gets me is the axles. I am doing SAS on my pickup and bought two d44 Rubicon axles with Elockers, disc brakes, etc. from Chrysler yesterday for $2600. I think these would be the perfect axle for the Liberty swaps, and darn cheap in my opinion not to mention you get that HP front axle.

JK axles right? The problem w/ stock axles is sometime down the road you might find the need to upgrade them. I know that even w/ all the decent parts I have in mine I may still want/need to upgrade if I ever move up on tire size. I am not currently planning on doing that but you know how it is w/ Jeeps. My rear axle was way expensive due to the KJ D44 housing being so rare in the U.S. If the Jk axles have the same pickup for the speedo (not really sure if they do or not) I could have used it....boy I hope they don't.... anyhow, money under the bridge now.....

You need to post up pics/info on your SAS in the Other 4x4 section so we can see whats up.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

spencevans wrote:
Seen those,but after re-gearing and new lockers(don't much like electric lockers),new mounts,modifying to front lockouts,and all that good stuff I would have spent more then for the axles I'm using.

Nice idea though for those looking for cheaper ways to do a SFA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 pm 
All J Products Lifetime Vendor
All J Products Lifetime Vendor

The JK axles pick up speed using all four corner wheel sensors. I can't imagine anyone is going to figure our using the JK speed sensors anytime soon. The JK has computers talking to computers, it's pretty complex.

JJ, I think I have a way to fix your speedo. It's eaiser to correct speed than convert signal. BTW, If I were to build my own SFA KJ, which I was considering doing using a CRD before we got the JK, I would have done it about like your's. I think the only thing I would have changed is some sort of true high steer for the tie rod in the front. And lighter wheels and tires ;) We were all pretty happy how your KJ turned out, I can't wait to wheel with you and Wally in Moab!

1968 Jeep M715
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4 door JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

macgyver wrote:
The JK axles pick up speed using all four corner wheel sensors. I can't imagine anyone is going to figure our using the JK speed sensors anytime soon. The JK has computers talking to computers, it's pretty complex.

JJ, I think I have a way to fix your speedo. It's eaiser to correct speed than convert signal. BTW, If I were to build my own SFA KJ, which I was considering doing using a CRD before we got the JK, I would have done it about like your's. I think the only thing I would have changed is some sort of true high steer for the tie rod in the front. And lighter wheels and tires ;) We were all pretty happy how your KJ turned out, I can't wait to wheel with you and Wally in Moab!

Hey, I think I still have a couple $$'s left...lets get busy! :twisted: I think I can flip the tie-rod to the top of the knuckle to gain some height on it, and/or use a different tie-rod or change out the WJ ends for some other tie-rod ends and then flip it. ITSAJEEPTHING and as usual, it is never done until you quit and I'm not ready for that yet. :wink:
Hopefully Santa will bring me lighter wheels and tires for xmas, otherwise I'm stuck w/ what I got for now.

I too was also worried about the JK axles speedo deal and making the lockers work and the re-gearing of them. It was easier on my mind to just go w/ something proven in the TJ/XJ/KJ type axles and beef them up. I do agree that using them and getting them to work would be very cool since they are also a little wider than TJ/XJ axles and high pinion too.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TTT 4 INC :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal