It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: axles?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:05 am 
LOST Junkie

is any who is or has already done a SAS using a xj front axle? if not what front axle should i be looking for? i'm asking for width purposes! i can get a built hp 30 out of a xj for a great price...yay or nay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yay. My front axle originally came out of an XJ. It is a high pinion Dana 30.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:37 am 
LOST Junkie

JJsKJ wrote:

perfect i will start building late march early april...i think that i might be doing the cheapest sas ever...we'll see :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Why use a HP30?? Go to a Pick and Pull and get a HP44 and a full floatin 60 outta an older Ford F350 and make it right the first time 8)

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kj in a tight spot wrote:
Why use a HP30?? Go to a Pick and Pull and get a HP44 and a full floatin 60 outta an older Ford F350 and make it right the first time 8)
That's what I did,HP44 up front and 60 out back.

The HP30 is okay but you only can polish a turd for so long.I personally think the KJ is a little heavy for a 30 anyways,but at least the HP30 has the same strength as the Rubicons('03-'06) front low pinion 44.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
kj in a tight spot wrote:
That's what I did,HP44 up front and 60 out back.

The HP30 is okay but you only can polish a turd for so long.I personally think the KJ is a little heavy for a 30 anyways,but at least the HP30 has the same strength as the Rubicons('03-'06) front low pinion 44.

Thats what my buddy's got on tap for his TJ as well and I am going to go find me some for mine too :twisted: A 44 can only take you so far :lol: Its better to wait and do things right the first time round if you can IMO cause your just gonna wanna do it again later anyhow. Dont jump the gun and collect ALL the bombproof things you'll need now and spend more time wheelin later while others who jumped in quickly will be in their garage (or payin for the work to be done by someone else :roll: :lol: ) swappin in the things you already have. Also if you got the pocketbook you can get some brand new custom made axles from some of the bigger companies that come complete with any kind of bolt pattern, brake assembly, gearing, lockers, etc. Again if you got the pocketbook as these are PRICEY!!!!!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ohv_kj wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

perfect i will start building late march early april...i think that i might be doing the cheapest sas ever...we'll see :D

Think you guys might have missed the key point of "cheapest". I am guessing he is trying to keep this cheap, as if that is really possible. Guess it depends on what your definition of cheap is. Besides, what is a Jeep w/out it continuing to be a project? Are you ever really done building a Jeep? IMHO, No. I look forward to the day that I need to upgrade again to a set of D60's....or perhaps I will just go to some Portals.

Oh and talk about polishing up a D30.......glad I didn't spend any more money on my D30A...now theres polishing a real turd. 8)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

Think you guys might have missed the key point of "cheapest". I am guessing he is trying to keep this cheap, as if that is really possible. Guess it depends on what your definition of cheap is. Besides, what is a Jeep w/out it continuing to be a project? Are you ever really done building a Jeep? IMHO, No. I look forward to the day that I need to upgrade again to a set of D60's....or perhaps I will just go to some Portals.

Oh and talk about polishing up a D30.......glad I didn't spend any more money on my D30A...now theres polishing a real turd. 8)

I understand about the "cheapest",it works for some and they are happy about it.It's just in my nature to get the better stuff outright,I hate doing things/spending the money twice,I went as far as I could with the IFS and want/need more but don't want to spend the $$$ twice on it.I now regret all the money I have put into the IFS but at the time it was needed since I didn't have the money for the SFA swap,now I do so I'm doing it right the first time.

And no the Jeep is never really done,got plenty of projects lined up,just don't need to be fixing/upgrading the mods I already have done while trying to more mods on differnt areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

I understand about the "cheapest",it works for some and they are happy about it.It's just in my nature to get the better stuff outright,I hate doing things/spending the money twice,I went as far as I could with the IFS and want/need more but don't want to spend the $$$ twice on it.I now regret all the money I have put into the IFS but at the time it was needed since I didn't have the money for the SFA swap,now I do so I'm doing it right the first time.

And no the Jeep is never really done,got plenty of projects lined up,just don't need to be fixing/upgrading the mods I already have done while trying to more mods on differnt areas.

x2 it makes more sense economically to do things right the first time and save for the best quality products you can get. If you can "afford" to do a solid axle swap in the first place, you can wait an extra year or so to collect much better qaulity parts IMO. There is no such thing as a "cheap" solid axle swap :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:09 pm 
LOST Member

The HP30 will be just fine to run 33-35" tires. I have one in my 92 XJ with a d44 waiting to replace the turdy five in the rear(blown) and I am planning on running 33s once the project is finished. The axle is plenty strong enough and many TJ owners find a HP30 from a XJ a cheap and effective upgrade as it is comparable to a low pinion 44.

It would be nice to run a custom built HP44 and 60 combo(beauiful axles you got their tjkj and I am jealous :) ), but if you dont have the money or dont see going over 33's, the HP30 will do you just fine. I have considered doing an SFA once the KJ is paid off, just havent decided since I have two other Jeeps to play with (really want to though).

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:54 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

My D30 Bent like a taco the second trip down the Rubicon with 35's...
A TJ is quite a bit lighter than the KJ. While the 30 fit right under the truck with the coil overs, a 44 out of a TJ Rubicon would have been the better move.
Cheap is good, broken bad... if you're going to run a 33, you'd probably be ok... but eventually the weight of the KJ would bend the tubes. Or truss that sucker up... Notes to Wally and JJ... watch your tubes!

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ARBSeth wrote:
My D30 Bent like a taco the second trip down the Rubicon with 35's...
A TJ is quite a bit lighter than the KJ. While the 30 fit right under the truck with the coil overs, a 44 out of a TJ Rubicon would have been the better move.
Cheap is good, broken bad... if you're going to run a 33, you'd probably be ok... but eventually the weight of the KJ would bend the tubes. Or truss that sucker up... Notes to Wally and JJ... watch your tubes!
That's why I choose the HP44 for a front axle,1/2" thick tubes,and it's semi-trussed also.Not bending them tubes anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

well it is good to see everyone wants to help..i will be only running 33's for a long time...that would be plenty to use and etill have fun...yes i'm am going cheapest but that is the point to be on a stricked budget and and still have what you guys have , in a way...plus any straight axle is better then what i had...i live to far to reay do some crazy trails...tellico is like 6 hrs away...uwharrie is close but nothing to to challenging...i think i will be find have this hp30 with cromolys...thanks again for the help guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So what are doing for the rear? Keeping the 8.25? How much lift you plan on getting? What are you going to do about the rear suspension? Coils or coilovers? Leafs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

actualy jeepin by al is helping with the rear, in a way...i'm using his 6 inch spring and watts link relocator and some other things...it should be around 26 inches from the center wheel to the bottom of the fender flair. Yes, the 8.25 will be plenty to run 33s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:40 pm 
LOST Addict

ohv_kj wrote:
actualy jeepin by al is helping with the rear, in a way...i'm using his 6 inch spring and watts link relocator and some other things...it should be around 26 inches from the center wheel to the bottom of the fender flair. Yes, the 8.25 will be plenty to run 33s.

what shop you gonna use to do the swap? i'm gonna need a good 4x shop in the area too.

L.O.S.T. #225019
2003 Sport 4x4
Patriot Blue w/ trail rash
Flex-Zilla 4" Lift
TrailRash hi-lift mounts
Other stuff you wish you had :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeep4me99 wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:

what shop you gonna use to do the swap? i'm gonna need a good 4x shop in the area too.

it's a local shop here in wilmington..