It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: just thinking about SFA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:25 pm 
LOST Addict

soo i'm getting really fed up replacing CV/axles... my rack and pinon and other IFS parts because of how weak they are. So this has got me thinking about a SFA. Has anyone concidered buying a totaled rubicon and just using the parts to build a SFA liberty... this seems like a good solution but there has to be something i'm missing. You would have Dana 44's front and rear (would this work??) that already have 4.10 gears and lockers.. plus the 4:1 rocktrac transfercase and you could maybe swipe the steering box.. and other suspension parts. After stealing those parts from it you could part out the rest of the rubicon to hopefully get some of your money back. Plus lift's already available would be easily adapted.. like the RE long arm kit (just put one on my dad's rubi and i think it would work with some mod's on the liberty). but this is all in theory ofcourse. or does it even have to be a rubicon or could i just buy a totaled jeep (YJ-TJ) and use the parts same as my plan to use rubicon parts? any comments would be great.. i'm for sure planning to do this in the future and trying to figure out the cheapest way to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Read All the SFA build threads for Many of the answers to your questions.

Yes on the Rubi axles. I had a set and was going to use them but changed my mind and sold them before re-changing my mind to do the SFA. Not crazy about the Rubi D44 front since it is low pinion and not much if any stronger than a HPD30.

You would Not want the D35 axle found in the back of many TJ's so make sure it is a D44 version.

Yes on the Rubi x-fer case. I have one as does allyrand. Works GREAT.

No on the TJ steering box. You need a reverse steer box. They come on many Ford products like the Bronco II.

IF the wreck is an Unlimited version w/ a Long arm lift on it you might be able to salvage Some of the parts for your build.

Seriously though, READ! READ! READ! There is a lot of info in all the existing build threads and many answers to Your questions.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:12 pm 
LOST Addict

thanks a lot.. i have read almost all the builds and information in the SFA section.. however i dont know a lot of specific information on the topics discussed (which is always very detailed) so a lot of it goes over my head. I'm slowly learning. someday i WILL put one under mine.. 2 years of school left though.. so probably after that :( unless i can figure out a way to do it under 3000 then i'll do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Start saving now and buying the parts piece by piece,that's what I did for almost 1 1/2 years,just about there myself.Just remember that if using a rear axle other then the 8.25 or find a KJ D44 you will need to address the speedo problem.I have figured it out and no you can not use the electronic speedo sensor in the RockTrac,it's a Hall Effect sensor and the KJ needs a AC signal,it will take about $300 worth of stuff to make your speedo work(AC signal generator-$160,Dakota Digital interface-$80,and a used mechanical CJ speedo adapter with gear-$60).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:57 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

The TJ front D44 is really a hybrid axle with the D30, IIRC.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

InCommando wrote:
The TJ front D44 is really a hybrid axle with the D30, IIRC.
Knuckles out is D30 but the rest is all D44,but like said the Rubicon front D44 is a low pinion with the same strength as a HP30's.The airlockers in them is from what I have read on CO4x4 are pretty weak and a pain in the stupid,reliability and strength went up when they went to the electric lockers over the air one's.You can not run the Rubicons air lockers with a compressoir from ARB,the OEM air lockers in the Rubicon operate at like 5psi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

wow.. how do you find this stuff out?? i think when i start this project it will be a lot of trial and error. hopefully in another few years when i can start it there will be some more SFA's out there that i can combine to make my own.. or copy one of them. untill then i'll just have to keep stalking the LOST site to learn as much as possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ wrote:
wow.. how do you find this stuff out?? i think when i start this project it will be a lot of trial and error. hopefully in another few years when i can start it there will be some more SFA's out there that i can combine to make my own.. or copy one of them. untill then i'll just have to keep stalking the LOST site to learn as much as possible
Lot's of research,and learning from what others did before.