It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any one know the stock axle width WMS to WMS??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did a search for this info, all I could find was track width of 58 and overall width of KJ 67.9-70.5

Not sure if Track Width is the same as the width from one Wheel Mounting Surface (WMS) to the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:56 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm pretty sure the axle width is the same between the XJ, TJ and KJ. If you were thinking of getting a set of those JK Rubicon axles that Mopar performance sells to do an axle swap, they are at least 5 inches wider than a standard TJ axle. Plus the bolt pattern is different. TJ Rubicon axles should fit just fine though, that's what JJ was going to use originally for his build.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chefdab wrote:
I'm pretty sure the axle width is the same between the XJ, TJ and KJ. If you were thinking of getting a set of those JK Rubicon axles that Mopar performance sells to do an axle swap, they are at least 5 inches wider than a standard TJ axle. Plus the bolt pattern is different. TJ Rubicon axles should fit just fine though, that's what JJ was going to use originally for his build.
I believe the mounts on the JK axles are different also compared to TJ or XJ axles so new mounts would need to be welded on also.Gears and lockers are super big bucks for the JK axles though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:07 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
chefdab wrote:
I believe the mounts on the JK axles are different also compared to TJ or XJ axles so new mounts would need to be welded on also.Gears and lockers are super big bucks for the JK axles though.

The couple of articles I have read basically said the only mounts that needed to be moved were the spring perches. They said the control arm mounts were about half to one inch offset and that adjustable arms with enough flex in the joint could make up the difference. And they come with 4.10 gears and the electric lockers installed already.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chefdab wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
chefdab wrote:

The couple of articles I have read basically said the only mounts that needed to be moved were the spring perches. They said the control arm mounts were about half to one inch offset and that adjustable arms with enough flex in the joint could make up the difference. And they come with 4.10 gears and the electric lockers installed already.
To bad most adjustable arms do not have the reqiured flex(which would actually limit articualtion if they happen to have enough) so all the mounts would need to be moved.You will also need lower gears then 4.10's unless you are staying with 31" tires but doing a SFA swap why stay with 31" tires?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Found the measurements for the TJ and JK front axles on another board.

Tj = 60.575

Jk = 65 1/2

There is no set WMS to WMS for the front of a KJ since it has IFS and changes when you lift it.

A guy on the CO4x4 board swapped in a JK front axle into his XJ,all brackets where moved and rewelded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, Interesting.

JK axles add 4-5"
Front D44 from a F150 about 6-7"
I'm guessing that the Ford 8" adds about 6-7" as well

The JK axles are an option.

Actually I was looking for the measurements to see how much different a D44 out of an Isuzu Rodeo would be

Turns out its about 60.75, very close to the tj width, plus its got the tone ring already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:

Actually I was looking for the measurements to see how much different a D44 out of an Isuzu Rodeo would be

Turns out its about 60.75, very close to the tj width, plus its got the tone ring already.
Aren't the Isuzu 44's a 6 bolt lug pattern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Didn't we have a post mentioning the JK lockers weren't near as stout the older units. Think it was ARBSeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:

Aren't the Isuzu 44's a 6 bolt lug pattern?

Yes, 6 on 5.5 like all the yota's, nissans and honda's, I haven't really investigated but thought maybe I could have the axles re-drilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
chefdab wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
chefdab wrote:

To bad most adjustable arms do not have the reqiured flex(which would actually limit articualtion if they happen to have enough) so all the mounts would need to be moved.You will also need lower gears then 4.10's unless you are staying with 31" tires but doing a SFA swap why stay with 31" tires?

Just went to JP magazine and read the article on the JK axles. I'm thinking they may be a real good candidate for the SAS on the liberty.

Pros:
about $1600 for the front and $1350 for the rear - $3000 for a brand new set of D44's right out of the box
built with the standard rubicon e-lockers, all you need is to wire em up.
They come with the brake components
JP says some of the components are heftier than the TJ's 44, higher spline count etc.
Wider than the TJ's 44 by 1-2"

Cons:
Limited availability of different gear sets, right now you can only buy with 4:10, but 4:88 and 5:13 are available after market. That will add to the cost to have the new gears setup, probably about $300-$500.

Someone designing a SAS kit would probably be wise to use this as a starting point for the kit. :D Marty, I'd be glad to be the test vehicle :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 pm 
LOST Member

I know digging up a dead post is frowned upon, but oh well.

I have a Japanese military trailer (similar to the M416/M101cdn) that I am converting axles to match my KJ lugs.

I would like to keep the track near the stock KJ, and be able to use stock KJ wheel offsets for spare use. To do this, I need to know the stock WMS to WMS on the rear axle....