It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: huuummm very tempting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:59 pm 
LOST Addict

check it out... we all know this KJ well.. but a whole package plus labor to give any KJ a SFA for 6000 is a very very tempting option

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ht_500wt_0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:06 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Interesting. I wonder if there are front axle upgrades? Many have no trouble with that D30 & 33's, but that is still a tiny ring gear on the pretty portly KJ.

Ford D44/9 inch combo's are pretty common around here.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

hummmm...........very nice start. RL has some comp....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Isn't that OHV_KJs rig??

Edit: Ohhh....I see their selling a SFA conversion, not the rig itself.

Somebody should tell him to get JBA rear 8" coils

http://jeepinbyal.com/detail.aspx?ID=466

Instead of using 6" coils with 2" spacers.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sure leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Wheres the pics of the rear suspension setup?
When all is done, does the gearing match or is that extra? Oh and the front axle is a low pinion then? ("front axle is dana 30 out of a YJ/TJ jeep")
Front CV driveshaft included? Rear driveshaft still a slip yoke w/ all that lift or CV shaft included in price?
Does it include tie rod and drag link? What kind? (i see it says upgrades available but what does it include to get you down the road?)

things that make ya go :?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:40 pm 
LOST Member

well according to my knowledge James (OHV_KJ) told me the guy that did this sfa swap skipped tons of corners and messed up on it fairly badly. Luckily he got hooked up with a garage that knows its stuff and they have pretty much completely re-done his lib. He just had front and rear long arms installed last week. Personally I would stay away from this, the reason James had it done for so cheap was the fixed prices and he help with the labor. Yea getting a SFA done for 6 g's is pretty tempting, but if your going to go sfa on a budget I would get in touch with OHV_KJ and get the complete low down on what worked & what didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

that's what i was thinking... also thinking this probably should ahve been in the SFA thread :oops: i think the better move would be to wait in the RL kit.. atleast we know it'll be top quality and work without death wobble and bump steer. 6g's for a SFA sounds REAL iffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Time for one of my favorite Swahili proverbs again!

Bure Aghali
:wink:

If I was in the market today, I would still wait for a "quality" lift, from who else but Rock Lizard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am 
LOST Addict

Have to be careful of the astro steering boxes too, some years had issues with them wearing out.
Sweet looking rig though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ramlebliberty wrote:
well according to my knowledge James (OHV_KJ) told me the guy that did this sfa swap skipped tons of corners and messed up on it fairly badly. Luckily he got hooked up with a garage that knows its stuff and they have pretty much completely re-done his lib. He just had front and rear long arms installed last week. Personally I would stay away from this, the reason James had it done for so cheap was the fixed prices and he help with the labor. Yea getting a SFA done for 6 g's is pretty tempting, but if your going to go sfa on a budget I would get in touch with OHV_KJ and get the complete low down on what worked & what didn't.

How about some full disclosure then? OHV_KJ has a thread in teh SFA section and I don't recall him talking about many problems or extra costs to make it right?? Many thought it wouldn't work out very well for so cheap and honestly, we were just waiting to hear about the problems.

The purpose of that section being all by itself is to honestly and openly discuss what does and doesn't work. I have posted up info on any concerns or problems I have experienced and I will continue to do so. The only way others will know what to do is by sharing the knowledge. I expect that future SFA KJ's will have a wealth of info to use when they start building if we all share our experience on the subject. I guess I'll invite him to share via PM.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

wow :shock: i had know idea this was up there...he didn't even get permission from me or my parents(that's who is in the last pic next to the battleship) i tell you all he cut corners and yes i did have it re-done...let me tell you the good part...the shop that i had do the install first was not a friend of mine...i did have alot of work done befor the swap and he did a great job...so i thought he could take it on......the shop i had fix everything is a very good and legit place...it is call cape fear 4x4...he has had 6 rigs published and featured in magazines...the reason i didn't go to him was price and time...he was very busy then...he now told me he could do a nice setup close to what i had done for a little more money...this would be triangulated 4 link rear long arms w/ 8 inch coils or more if you want...4 link front w/ trac bar and coil overs w/ what ever axles you would want...my steering has been changed to a wj HD box which workd great...pm me if you have more Questions.

Last edited by ohv_kj on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:lol: what a coincidence....please disregard the post above yours.... :oops: great timing....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

JJsKJ wrote:
ramlebliberty wrote:

How about some full disclosure then? OHV_KJ has a thread in teh SFA section and I don't recall him talking about many problems or extra costs to make it right?? Many thought it wouldn't work out very well for so cheap and honestly, we were just waiting to hear about the problems.

The purpose of that section being all by itself is to honestly and openly discuss what does and doesn't work. I have posted up info on any concerns or problems I have experienced and I will continue to do so. The only way others will know what to do is by sharing the knowledge. I expect that future SFA KJ's will have a wealth of info to use when they start building if we all share our experience on the subject. I guess I'll invite him to share via PM.

jj i thought i have but, i will get everything that has changed up there...i wanted to test it and get it right so i wouldn't steer anyone wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ohv_kj wrote:
wow :shock: i had know idea this was up there...he didn't even get permission from me or my parents(that's who is in the last pic next to the battleship) i tell you all he cut corners and yes i did have it re-done...let me tell you the good part...the shop that i had do the install first was not a friend of mine...i did have alot of work done befor the swap and he did a great job...so i thought he could take it on...he started going down hill in his work and has a few law suits on his hands and none from me...i knew is was going to take a miracle to make this work...DON"T TRUST THIS GUY...so that said...the shop i had fix everything is a very good and legit place...it is call cape fear 4x4...he has had 6 rigs published and featured in magazines...the reason i didn't go to him was price and time...he was very busy then...he now told me he could do a nice setup close to what i had done for a little more money...this would be triangulated 4 link rear long arms w/ 8 inch coils or more if you want...4 link front w/ trac bar and coil overs w/ what ever axles you would want...my steering has been changed to a wj HD box which workd great...pm me if you have more Questions...CF4x4 number is 910-397-9131...ask for danny

PLEASE share all the details in your build thread in the SFA section so we can all see and know what you learned in this process. One or two details might be the difference between a persons build failing or not and it could save a life. Pics would be great too!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
jj i thought i have but, i will get everything that has changed up there...i wanted to test it and get it right so i wouldn't steer anyone wrong

Cool, Thanks! It is a big help to everyone here!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I want quality as well :) I'll wait for RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

now Im a littled tempted to do an SFA, while I was having my DL installed I was telling him about this and how cheap it was for an SFA and he said I would do a four-link HP D30 for me for $6k with a DTT in the front and re-geared to whatever I wanted, and knowing him it would be top quality and I know that if I ever had a problem he would fix it

now if I can just come a across $6 grand :lol:

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:29 pm 
LOST Addict

ohv_kj wrote:
wow :shock: i had know idea this was up there...he didn't even get permission from me or my parents(that's who is in the last pic next to the battleship) i tell you all he cut corners and yes i did have it re-done...let me tell you the good part...the shop that i had do the install first was not a friend of mine...i did have alot of work done befor the swap and he did a great job...so i thought he could take it on...he started going down hill in his work and has a few law suits on his hands and none from me...i knew is was going to take a miracle to make this work...DON"T TRUST THIS GUY...so that said...the shop i had fix everything is a very good and legit place...it is call cape fear 4x4...he has had 6 rigs published and featured in magazines...the reason i didn't go to him was price and time...he was very busy then...he now told me he could do a nice setup close to what i had done for a little more money...this would be triangulated 4 link rear long arms w/ 8 inch coils or more if you want...4 link front w/ trac bar and coil overs w/ what ever axles you would want...my steering has been changed to a wj HD box which workd great...pm me if you have more Questions...CF4x4 number is 910-397-9131...ask for danny

thanks a lot for sharing that... i was seriously considering this if i blew my front diff.. it did sound like he was promising the moon.. i know i couldnt do it myself for 6g's.. so was wonder how he would.. now i know he really wouldnt haha..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:20 am 
LOST Addict

.. reading the description it says -

" The exhaust is modified to wrap around the driveshaft. "

wtf does this mean ???

$6k sounds way low.

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... ider_2008/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 am 
This member has been Banned

Ok I'm the owner of Performance Innovations, the shop that did the solid axle swap on the black liberty in the picture. Someone sent me the link to this
discussion and I figured I might as well join in, there are 2 sides to every story right?
I'm not trying to start internet fights or anything here(i have better things to do than argue on internet forums), I'm just trying to get the facts out and promote my business.
I had done alot of work to the black liberty previously to the SAS, I replaced and regeared the front diff and rearend, added a locker, fabricated some stuff (that he took credit for WTF?)blah blah.

Well next up was the SAS, James wanted to do the swap for as cheap as possible(first problem and I should have turned it away right then), hence all the BUDGET BUILD this and budget that, well I'm sorry to burst everyones' bubble but you get what you pay for. This was the first Liberty Solid axle swap i had done (he was aware of that) and I knew there would be some problems that would need to be fixed after it was all said and done. Another problem we had was the time frame, I underquoted the time and labor for this project, and then to top it off my plasma cutter broke when I first started working on this jeep and it took 2 or 3 weeks to get the parts in to fix it. I had scheduled the time frame to work on this jeep because I was very busy and when it got bumped back 2 weeks it threw all my other projects off and just wasn't a really good experience for both of us. As far as fixing problems that exsisted after I did the work... I ALWAYS fix things that aren't right after doing work, there are always little issues when doing these type of projects(especially when its the first one!) and I am always more than willing to fix them on my dime to make it right.....

But james's situation was a little different, I'll just give one example because I'm not wanting to argue on internet forums, The coilovers were rubbing the side of the body because the upper mounts needed to be moved outboards about a 1/2". He wanted me to do them the morning I was leaving for MY vacation and I said I couldn't because it wouldn't be a 5 min ordeal, So james went on to get all pissy like a little girl and do a big burnout in my parking lot, throwing rocks and gravel all over my other customers cars, that was the last time i heard from him and he decided to go to the other shop in town and pay twice as much for everything to get redone so he could bad mouth me any time he could. Thats cool and all but I am always more than willing to make everything right if I work on it. So lessons learned here: 1 You get what you pay for, and 2 don't be a dickhead. I work on ALOT of high dollar builds and vehicles, most projects are at least 2-6 months and usually $20,000 and up. I did James' for so cheap because it was the first one, a learning experience and I was helping him out because I did a bunch of other work for him before and he was also supposedly going to become a cop in town and everyone likes having a cop friend(i get my share of speeding tickets)

Now on to the details of my service's and the liberty SAS conversion.
I have done another Liberty solid axle swap since the black one and things are fabricated and setup slightly differently in each one. I believe I have a pretty bullet proof plan and setup

My price of $6,000 includes the complete solid axle swap in the front, and the rear lift. I use a XJ Cherokee front axle, so its a dana 30 high pinion and they
are available in 3.73 and 4.10 so I wouldn't have to regear to match unless you have a different ratio. The front suspension is going to be a modified radius arm type link setup. It will have triangulated end links that pivot on Johnny Joints on the frame side(or whatever kind of joint you want to use) Using the triangulated links allows us to not have to use a trac bar. The steering uses the stock jeep solid axle drag links and tie rod ends, the Chevy astro steering box is mounted to the inside of the frame and the rails are plated inside and out and connected together with DOM tubing(this area was a problem on the black liberty, I have addressed this strength issue and corrected it for future swaps).

The rear lift is accomplished with 8" lift springs, new rancho shocks and a link extension similar to this one http://jeepinbyal.com/cat-Rear_Shocks_a ... ngs-8.aspx Except mine is boxed in on the sides to give it way more strenght (another problem on the black liberty, I didn't make them tho, he bought them from AL and they broke) I also extend and fully box in the lower control arms to correct the pinion angle which gets changed because of the lift. You don't need a SYE elimnator on these jeeps, the driveshafts are long enough to not have problems with them flying out like on wranglers with little short shafts. If you don't like this rear suspension setup we could always do a custom link setup using the triangulated upper joint and longer lower control arms. Thats about it for the swap, there are a couple other things like brake lines, steering shaft adapter, and power steering lines, but I am now equipped to make those in house to get the costs way down. I build you a new front driveshaft, using the Cherokee yoke and I swap the front output on your transfer case to a non CV style YJ/TJ yoke ( i have a pile of these yokes sitting on my shelf) Also the exhaust has to be wrapped down and under the front driveshaft because there is no room on top if you want to reuse the rest of your factory exhaust, it is possible the we could build a new custom exhaust system that would run the exhaust back on top/beside the tcase and totally out of the way of the exhaust.

Like i said there are many options.

Now I will break the prices down just to show everyone that a $6000 Solid front axle swap is possible in your Liberty, and its not too good to be true, and i'm not trying to rip anyone off

Here are the parts costs:
Coilovers and springs approx $750 (thats for 2 Fox 2.0 coilovers and 4 springs)
Dana 30 front axle used with either 3.73 or 4.10, they all have TRE's, drag link and pitman arm $150, i have a pile of these things I have been accumulating for awhile
Rear springs and shocks approx $300
Joints for suspension approx $200
New Chevy Astro Steering box $180
Assorted hardware and steering adapter $100
Custom driveshaft and balancing $180

Thats pretty much it, other than the steel and tubing used(i have alot of steel, i don't calculate how much yours will take excactly but I have plenty to go around)

SO our parts add up to approx $2000 give or take a few hundred dollars, I'm sure I left something off the list and someone will chime in and correct me. Again I DON"T use all brand new parts, the axle and steering links are used but still in great condition, and i also have axle's the have factory gearing that will match your liberty so I don't have to regear the axle, thats where the money is saved. The rest of the price is labor. My labor rate is $60 an hour
and I spend 60-70 hours doing the work. They get done a little quicker everytime I do a new one. As far as time goes, I will complete the swap as listed in 3 weeks at the most, unless we add a bunch more work or something unexpected happens, ie: coil overs get backordered for ever, we get invaded by china, asteroid hits the earth, etc.

Again the $6000 price tag isn't an end all be all price, it is possible tho, you can add more options if you want (ie lockers, thicker custom steering links, different rear suspension setup, rear gearing and lockers)

So if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or give me a call and we can talk about it 910-515-4762

Also everyone has bad experiences at shops, or any other type of business, no one is perfect and you can't please everyone. I'm not about to bad mouth the other shop that "re-did" all my work, but he definatly isn't perfect either, NO ONE IS PERFECT!! My shop was a little unorganized a few months ago because it was ME doing everything, I couldn't find any skilled/reliable employees to I was left to do everything so it would get done right. I have finally found a very proficent employee, allowing us to get projects done faster and more efficent. We are now turning and buring the projects out, I really like the Liberty solid front axle conversion because they are unique and you don't see them being wheeled around everywhere like wranglers and every other jeep.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next