It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6-speed SFA?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

Has anyone done it?

I'm not eager to be the first.... but I don't plan to stick with the IFS in 2011....

I'm already starting to sweat the fact that my libby is an 06... so not only will I have ABS to deal with, but ESP as well...

Has anyone considered bypassing the ECU in favor of a juice box (a fuel management computer which ignores most everything else).

Just trying to get ideas before I start gathering parts.

Also... I understand the HP axles are the best way to go... why? Low pinion axles seem to be more readily available.

As far as the 8.25... should I keep it? I have a rear ford 8.8 readily available... it has 4.11's, LSD, but I can't remember if it it is caprice width or out of an exploder. My friend was going to build it for a V8 pinto.

One other thing: did the front D25 ever come out of an Xj? The same source for the 8.8 had an XJ... I think it was a 1990... rusty as heck... ended up wrecked.. he kept the axle, but is planning on selling it.... I think I heard that the 25 is out of a willys... can anyone confirm this before I pass up a potentially usable D30.

My plans are to go with fox shocks up front, OME springs out back. Potentially a custom gas tank (read: in the trunk) to allow me to stretch the rear, and I am planning on fabricating my own long arms using rubber bushing joints (is that rubicon express?)

I have a sheetmetal fab shop. I have big welders available. I want to try and keep my build as cheap as possible. I am planning to model this build off of my friends TJ. He has a stupid awesome long arm kit on D60's with 70 outers (bigfoot anyone?). He will be helping me fabricate the entire lift, and we will try to get the same performance out of my libby as he has with his TJ. When he gets his driveshafts in I will get some pics for all of us.... I know that he just swapped an engine which has corvette fans drooling.

Also, full hydro... I understand it is expensive... not practical/safe for street?

When I start acquiring my parts I will start a build thread. Until then thanks for any advice/suggestions.

FWIW, I want to remain street legal, but I don't intend for the libby to be my DD.

Mark

Post subject: Re: 6-speed SFA?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Forget full hydro if you want to remain legal as full hydro steering is illegal for street use.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm 
LOST Addict

How will they know if you're using full hydro steering or not??

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Budke wrote:

It's pretty obvious to anyone who would look under your rig and see no steering arm. (Hydro steering would just be a hydraulic cylinder with a piston coming out of each side attached to your steering knuckles versus the two linkages going to a steering box attached to the unibody)

I'm with TJ on that point that I wouldn't feel safe using a hydro steering unit at speed on any road... all it takes is for something to make a hole in hydraulics, or even fluid to go low and you would lose all steering. At least with a steering box you have gears to act as a fail-safe, even if your hydraulic assist were to go away.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Budke wrote:

With the amount of lift needed for a SFA swap on a KJ it will be very noticeable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

troy, what do you think of that guys sfa? i saw his on car domain.

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 am 
LOST Junkie

What would he have to compare to make the track bar parallel to? I would imagine that either he is going to have zero bump steer, or loads of it?

Neat setup. I wish he was on LOST.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

he had the rock krawler 7 up ifs lift before

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack