It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFA Swap planning in the works
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

So my upper ball joints are gone again, front struts are toast and I am pretty sure my rear shocks are done too. I have gone through 2 sets of replacement upper front control arms and I think its time to push for a SFA. I do not want to spend money on Al's upper arms, I just don't see it being worth while for what I use my Jeep for. And, I am worried that d30 front diff is going to self destruct soon as I tinker with the motor more and more. Plus, the SFA parts are straight forward, easier to maintain, more reliable and cheaper... Makes sense to me

I bought a matching pair of JK axles and when Christmas rolled around, times were tough and I sold the front HPD30 which was what just sold first. So two weeks ago I was thinking to myself what a dumb move that was so I figured I would start over and so I then sold the rear D44.

So where I sit now. I took the Moab wheels off and bought spacers and installed some JK wheels, since I want to run a JK spec axle. The wheels with the spacers actually sit a little further in than the Moabs, I didn't expect this but it is good news. For those who are wondering why I took the Rubicon wheels off... Well they were donated to my girlfriends Jeep which needed wheels and tires to complete the rolling chassis.

I can't go out and spend gobs of dough at the moment. Is my IFS worth anything? Are people looking for CRD IFS parts?

What I have so far for parts:
Ford 9" rear axle
New Currie New Large model housing ends (I have the alignment jig and such FYI)
Ford HP D44
JK Wheels ( I want the Jeep to look factory and not hack) (tires are 245/75/16)
TJ Steering box

Besides joints, brakes, the major hurdle will be the steering box/track arm fixing and the control arms interfaces?

Any words of wisdom?

FYI:
I have the tube bender, coping saw and welding equipment and of coarse the skills. Just need some input from others who have researched this and have done it. I don't work on Libertys every day or spend much time on this board unfortunately.

1927 Ford Model T Tudor SCCA track car being contructed, 2.3L duratec with side drafts, t-5, Cobra IRS, C5 ZO6 leafs, double front A-arms, all steel.

http://www.mutinycustoms.com

Post subject: Re: SFA Swap planning in the works
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Need to get some prices on the next gen Mopar Rubicon Axles. Might be a hell of alot easier to buy new axles with the 4.10 gear I need and elocker ready to go. Might even be cheaper? I will call my Mopar dealer and Dynatrac in the morning

1927 Ford Model T Tudor SCCA track car being contructed, 2.3L duratec with side drafts, t-5, Cobra IRS, C5 ZO6 leafs, double front A-arms, all steel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

from what i've read everyone is using the xj long arm kit. I don't know enough to figure the geometry properly myself so that is what i'd do.

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well if you want the 5 on 5 bolt pattern you need the JK D44's,you will never get a 5 on 5 with either a HP44 or 9" but the HP44 and 9" would be a much better axle setup and you will have the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.Most of us with sfa's are using TJ control arms and either modifying a belly pan to mount them or making a custom belly pan(which I did).If using the TJ or even the JK axles you will need to run coilovers in the front if you want it to work right,you can use regular coils with separate shocks in the front with the full width HP44/9" combo and have the suspension work right.

Being a CRD you will run into a nice issue with the steering,as in no room for the steering box and the intercooler(and hoses).Might want to try and PM jeepbumm68 as he is working on a CRD SFA swap as we speak(or should be) for that fix.You also will lose ABS and ESP(if it's a '06),you also will lose the speedo and ODO.I have a fix for the speedo/ODO but you can not use the OEM t-case as you will need a speedo port on the t-case----http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29930.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 am 
LOST Addict

So what is an atlas going for nowadays? With the 545 you can only use the 2-speed case correct? I don't think my 242 is going to live much longer anyway (certainly not with a turbo kit bolted on).

Killing the ESP is fine by me, but I take it the dash light will be on forever (and codes)? (Maybe Green Diesel can customize a ECM flash to shut that ESP/ABS indicator light off).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Well if you want the 5 on 5 bolt pattern you need the JK D44's,you will never get a 5 on 5 with either a HP44 or 9" but the HP44 and 9" would be a much better axle setup and you will have the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.Most of us with sfa's are using TJ control arms and either modifying a belly pan to mount them or making a custom belly pan(which I did).If using the TJ or even the JK axles you will need to run coilovers in the front if you want it to work right,you can use regular coils with separate shocks in the front with the full width HP44/9" combo and have the suspension work right.

Being a CRD you will run into a nice issue with the steering,as in no room for the steering box and the intercooler(and hoses).Might want to try and PM jeepbumm68 as he is working on a CRD SFA swap as we speak(or should be) for that fix.You also will lose ABS and ESP(if it's a '06),you also will lose the speedo and ODO.I have a fix for the speedo/ODO but you can not use the OEM t-case as you will need a speedo port on the t-case----http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29930.

I can use JK inner and outer C's in order to use the 5 x 5" bolt pattern and I can order custom axle shafts to retain either the JK brake system of use my current 8.25 brakes with a JK disc. The ford axles will be narrowed and setup to JK specs, I wouldn't keep them full width. I would prefer the 5x 5.5" pattern but I want to run OEM Jeep wheels. Once my tires wear down, I want to buy JK rubicon wheels and what ever tire that is good for me at that time. If I do this swap, I want and will make sure it looks factory. It will make people's head tilt every time they see it and when I show up the USRC events towing our rally car, the other teams will appreciate the work and craftsmanship which will hopefully bring in other business other than the the rally cars we build.

I was reading through jeepbumm68's thread last night as I was concerned with spring rates. I will keep an eye on the thread and see what comes of it.

So an issue I didn't see coming was the speedo/odo. Why can I not keep the factory t-case? I do not mind loosing my ABS since I really want it to be disabled anyways and I have an '05 so the ESP isn't an issue. Where does the Lib pick up its speed signal? Not from the T-case?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

The other question was; Are there people in need of the factory IFS parts? Are they worth anything?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 am 
LOST Addict

there are people in need of the parts but I'm willing to guess that you won't make more than $400 on everything.

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

stumpjumper_09 wrote:
there are people in need of the parts but I'm willing to guess that you won't make more than $400 on everything.

Just the info I was looking for, thanks. Maybe I can make the front diff housing in a base for a table here at the shop, lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HugeKJ05 wrote:

So an issue I didn't see coming was the speedo/odo. Why can I not keep the factory t-case? I do not mind loosing my ABS since I really want it to be disabled anyways and I have an '05 so the ESP isn't an issue. Where does the Lib pick up its speed signal? Not from the T-case?

The speedo sensor for a '02-'05 KJ is in the rear diff,replace the rear diff with a non-OEM 8.25 and you'll lose the speedo,hence where you need a different t-case that has a speedo port on it so you can run the sensor setup that I posted a link to(does not have to be a Atlas,but has to bolt up to the back of a 545RFE).

Those are going to be some expensive axles for the front if your narrowing it and putting JK C's on it,that's if they will even fit on a HP44 tubes(or can even buy them yet).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:03 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
HugeKJ05 wrote:

The speedo sensor for a '02-'05 KJ is in the rear diff,replace the rear diff with a non-OEM 8.25 and you'll lose the speedo,hence where you need a different t-case that has a speedo port on it so you can run the sensor setup that I posted a link to(does not have to be a Atlas,but has to bolt up to the back of a 545RFE).

Those are going to be some expensive axles for the front if your narrowing it and putting JK C's on it,that's if they will even fit on a HP44 tubes(or can even buy them yet).

Thanks for the info. So the t-case I need to address. I have a dana 300 here but I really wanted to keep my 4 full time for snow highway driving (which i do too much unfortunately). I am guessing there is a tone ring somewhere in the diff? I wonder if I could transfer it else where.

I thought the tranny we had was a 45RLE? I am assuming you are correct since like I said, this is not a vehicle I know inside and out yet, although the learning curve has been cranked up to full speed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Oh, and I can machine the C's, that's not a big deal. Or I can butt weld them and gusset.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just a quick update to let everyone know I have not given and am following through.

New plan.... and I have thought about this a bit more.

JK spec Pro Rock D44 up front shipped to be with out brackets from Dynatrac
Rear 8.25 is going to modded to a full float using JK unit bearings and housing ends that I will cnc here. The drive shafts will have a flange on the inside of the unite bearing and nut on the outside similar to a front axle. I am in communications now to see who will make them for me. I seems to all come down to who has an odd ball forging to make them. With this plan, I don't need to worry about a t-case and tone ring in the diff.

The Ford 9" I already narrowed and sold, so that's out. I still have the Ford HPD44 but i can always hang on to that for a paper weight.

Reasoning for the Dynatrac is due to their new inner C forgings.

Quick pic of the CRD I took last night

I bought the wheels and tires for my girl's build, but she is in Costa Rica right now... So they will be fine on my jeep for the week.

Also spoke with PSC, they advised me to upgrade my power steering pump. Anyone have any experience with this?