It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NorCal KJ 707 wrote:
So JJ, how much wider up front are you than your SA D44 in the rear? There are no issues with different track width or did you do something to stay even?

jjskj wrote:
I have an extra 1.25" up front w/ the Warn hubs and WJ goodies

Rear is about 2" wider than stock TJ D44. (IIRC) So Not worrried about the difference. Can't see it to look at it.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:14 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

JJsKJ wrote:
Funny that 3 different SFA KJ's have stock TJ width axles and are/were wheeled regularly on off camber trails and pretty tough ones to boot and None have had a problem. Not to say a full width set of axles wouldn't be more stable because we all know they would but I honestly think the whole "top heavy kj" thing is being a little blown out of proportion. I have felt very stable in tippy situations in my Kj and my XJ hasn't felt any better in my experience. fwiw, I am running 4" bs 16x8's, no spacers.

ME wrote:
I would never run an SFA KJ with stock width axles even with spacers and less BS rims. :twisted: Hope you have good insurance. :D

Note the "I". :D If I wheeled in your KJ, I would probably be crying. I'm like Troy, if it even looks off camber and tippy, I get really nervous. I'm just used to staying low and wide, so that is just what I prefer and would recommend. You're used to wheeling your KJ as it is, so you are going to feel more comfortable, and having a built XJ for comparison makes your claims more credible and I respect that of course. I'm just saying lower and wider would be "more" stable and "less" likely to end up on it's lid. :D

And note the :D after the insurance joke. :D

And my KJ will be even wider than Troy's with a 78 Ford F250 HP44 in the front (already sitting in storage) and a custom D60 with 14bolt spindles/shafts, and most likely sporting something in the 36"+ flavor, so the taller I go, the wider I want to be. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rock Lizard wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
Funny that 3 different SFA KJ's have stock TJ width axles and are/were wheeled regularly on off camber trails and pretty tough ones to boot and None have had a problem. Not to say a full width set of axles wouldn't be more stable because we all know they would but I honestly think the whole "top heavy kj" thing is being a little blown out of proportion. I have felt very stable in tippy situations in my Kj and my XJ hasn't felt any better in my experience. fwiw, I am running 4" bs 16x8's, no spacers.

ME wrote:
I would never run an SFA KJ with stock width axles even with spacers and less BS rims. :twisted: Hope you have good insurance. :D

Note the "I". :D If I wheeled in your KJ, I would probably be crying. I'm like Troy, if it even looks off camber and tippy, I get really nervous. I'm just used to staying low and wide, so that is just what I prefer and would recommend. You're used to wheeling your KJ as it is, so you are going to feel more comfortable, and having a built XJ for comparison makes your claims more credible and I respect that of course. I'm just saying lower and wider would be "more" stable and "less" likely to end up on it's lid. :D

And note the :D after the insurance joke. :D

And my KJ will be even wider than Troy's with a 78 Ford F250 HP44 in the front (already sitting in storage) and a custom D60 with 14bolt spindles/shafts, and most likely sporting something in the 36"+ flavor, so the taller I go, the wider I want to be. :twisted:

So when the heck are we finally gonna see any one of these three awesome wide axle SFA KJ's done? I've moved from the edge of my seat to on my stupid on the floor now. :D :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm 

JJsKJ wrote:
So when the heck are we finally gonna see any one of these three awesome wide axle SFA KJ's done? I've moved from the edge of my seat to on my stupid on the floor now. :D :wink:

Figured it would be more fun to tease everyone and then do the big unveiling at the LOST Safari. Maybe during trail testing someone will get some spy photos of what would appear to be SFA KJS on the trails in those nifty black "stealth" covers. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rock Lizard wrote:
nifty black "stealth" covers. :twisted:

You better not :x :wink:

2009 PBM Pontiac G8 GT -- New Toy
Stock...for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:59 pm 
LOST Member

I believe the "tippy" thing is more between the ears then real.Like how many out there have rolled their KJs?I've been on some really tight off camber stuff and it felt scary but stayed on all four.Well three. :shock:

Frankenlifted
Powertrax no-slip
Cook Bros. Diff guard
Skids front to back
RRO rock rails
10LB PowerTank
245/75-16 MT/R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:28 am 
LOST Junkie

it takes getting used to but if you keep it wide your fine...for me, from wheel center(bolt area) to wheel center Front: 67" rear 69" and just vecause i had the tape out...the wheel base is 108"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

Rock Lizard wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

Figured it would be more fun to tease everyone and then do the big unveiling at the LOST Safari. Maybe during trail testing someone will get some spy photos of what would appear to be SFA KJS on the trails in those nifty black "stealth" covers. :twisted:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: oh no!!! that would be torture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Yep, I got some old glider covers from the academy that we will drape over the sides of the jeeps. So only spy photos available would be highway and before they are wrapped for the trail... :twisted: