It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Well Engineered 6"+ JBA IFS Kit or DIY SFA???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:29 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, this is pretty far off in the future when the CRD gets payed off. But I can't help but thinking of the possibilities now. For those who have allready done it, what is the cost vs. cost of these two? I pretty much know all the downsides and benefits of each. Assuming I do all the work and fabrication, plus locate and buy the used parts needed, is a SFA swap cost effective versus going with a ready made lift such as the JBA?

Post subject: Re: Well Engineered 6"+ JBA IFS Kit or DIY SFA???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2mopar_diesels wrote:
Ok, this is pretty far off in the future when the CRD gets payed off. But I can't help but thinking of the possibilities now. For those who have allready done it, what is the cost vs. cost of these two? I pretty much know all the downsides and benefits of each. Assuming I do all the work and fabrication, plus locate and buy the used parts needed, is a SFA swap cost effective versus going with a ready made lift such as the JBA?

I didn't think JBA had a 6in lift for the CRD. It only mentions the gassers or did I miss something ?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

If you find a lift that big for the CRD, figure that the cheapest claimed price for a SFA that I have seen so far is $7k + depending on how blingy you want to get on wheels & tires.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Just some more stuff to consider...

there are some other added costs that will have to be addressed doing a JBA on the CRD's. Doing a cradle drop on a CRD is going to have some other fab issues due to the HD cooling system. I don't think the fan shroud can handle a drop of more than 1" and still have clearance for the fan. You may have to fix that and also consider any firewall-mounted hoses or wires (hopefully they aren't an issue)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:51 am 
LOST Member

Yeh, thats why i listed the 6" lift as it's the tallest I've seen he has for the CRD (option is +$89.95 for the CRD) and my total up front cost including super CV axles would be $5050+shipping. Thats why I really have to weigh my options and start planning and saving now for whatever direction I decide in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:13 am 
LOST Addict

Seems to me that that 5K+ that the 6" JBA costswould be a great start towards a SFA. The SFA would be stronger and more capable in every way too. I'd figure in another grand or two and you could have it done if you do a lot of the work yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Even though I like the work JBA has done - I don't think the 6" (or 12" if he finished it) are good ideas.

The reason you go to higher lifts is to put on bigger tires
if you put a bigger tire on the D30A -
you have terrible gearing and you're increasing the already high odds of blowing it.

and in my opinion
a good reliable SFA lift is about the same cost as buying an YJ - lifting it - and towing.

yeah it's a lot more common and you won't get the attention that a lifted KJ would -
but you's still have a reliable daily driver, a toy and a way to get home when things break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am 
LOST Member

It's not that its a bad idea, just they are going the simple, easy, known route to get height. This saves tham money and headaches in R&D, and on fabrication and production costs. ON PAPER* there is a way to get 6" of lift, keep your CV angles reasonable, and run at MOST 32's and have a durable, killer IFS rig with more front travel than the JBA 6" kit. Take a look at most other IFS lifts on the market. It comes down to would you rather spend 10 - 15k or more with all the one-off fab work that needs to be done to make a custom IFS lift, or have a more than decent SFA for that money that would lets face it... run circles around the best IFS liberty out there.
I tackled this dilemma recently (yes I have no life) taking hundreds of measurements, and tearing my front suspension apart a couple times to see what could be done. And it CAN BE DONE! the only question is, how deep are your pockets, and, do you really want to spend that much on IfS.

However, as far as bang for your buck, SFA hands down kills IFS! even with the best case scenario for the front travel on paper I would still have a ton less total travel than a 7k SFA, and worst of all, i would still have a d30a up front.

SFA as of right now is the best, most cost effective, unique, and bada$$ way to lift a liberty to more than 6". I have seen personally what a poorly constructed, and well constructed SFA liberty can do. Honestly, the poor SFA with open dif I think would destroy the best IFS liberty. Just my opinion.