It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel SFA question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi, i was wondering what it would take to do an SFA to a diesel liberty?

Also if it cant be done or what not for some reason, can i get a dana 44 and put that in place of the ifs, with custom made brackets and control arms?

Post subject: Re: Diesel SFA question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepBumm68 wrote:
Hi, i was wondering what it would take to do an SFA to a diesel liberty?

Also if it cant be done or what not for some reason, can i get a dana 44 and put that in place of the ifs, with custom made brackets and control arms?
Yes you can,you will need to do the rear also,dump the rack&pinion steering,and so on.Just read the many builds in this section,your build will not be any different besides needed heavier front springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I have read many of the builds. The only real problem is the parts and labor. I would end up buying jeep waggy dana 44's. Also for the long arms i would buy the RK or Clayton arms. I tend to like them better. As for spring options i wouldnt even know who to go with. I am looking to do this build for under 5k. No meats or Rims included

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepBumm68 wrote:
I have read many of the builds. The only real problem is the parts and labor. I would end up buying jeep waggy dana 44's. Also for the long arms i would buy the RK or Clayton arms. I tend to like them better. As for spring options i wouldnt even know who to go with. I am looking to do this build for under 5k. No meats or Rims included
Well if using D44's F/R you will need to swap the t-case also since the speedo runs off the rear diff and there is no speedo port in any KJ t-case so you will either need to spend the money to get the sensor and tone ring put in a D44(which ARBSeth did) which can/could coxt big $$$ or swap in a t-case with a speedo port and so what I'm doing(in the thread about the speedo fix).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I would end up finding the Rubi transfer case from a rubicon. Also anything speical about trying to fab up around the diesel motor or no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepBumm68 wrote:
I would end up finding the Rubi transfer case from a rubicon. Also anything speical about trying to fab up around the diesel motor or no?
Well you will need to retain cross supports on the front cradle with that CRD engine,and sadly the stock ones need to be cut out to allow clearance for the new axle.I'm getting a custom made cradle for my SFA swap that will retain the front crossmember,just way higher.It will not be hard to make but the old cradle will need to be dropped 1st to get the measurements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:04 am 
LOST Addict

I would probably end up making beefer supports for the engine then. I would guesset the supports together making them stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04 am 
LOST Junkie

there are other little things like...beefing up the sub frame for the gear box and new cross members...brake lines, driveshafts, poison spider have nice brackets... you can buy for your arms... gears, and you'll need a spacer to convert the rear to 6 bolt and tto bring out the rear... unles you are doing waggy 44 front and rear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:16 pm 
LOST Addict

ya i plan on doing 44's from a waggy. Custom crossmembers i well make. DS will be made by TW's, and extended brakelines from a tj. Gears from yukon well be either 4.56's or 4.88's.