It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:02 am 
LOST Junkie

0 drop... stock grand arm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Just looking at your pictures again and I was curious about something. Are you going to cut off the original rear control arm mounts? Not only does it look funny, but I would think it would hit the new lower control arm when compressed and somewhat limit flex. Other than that, I think it looks pretty good so far. I like the triangulated rear end.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:02 pm 
LOST Addict

chefdab wrote:
Just looking at your pictures again and I was curious about something. Are you going to cut off the original rear control arm mounts? Not only does it look funny, but I would think it would hit the new lower control arm when compressed and somewhat limit flex. Other than that, I think it looks pretty good so far. I like the triangulated rear end.

Thanks.

Yeah, they are getting cut off and cleaned up to look factory. In all the pics, the frame stiffeners are just tacked on to make sure everything clears alright, the geometry is good and nothing binds. He snapped a few shots so I could share with you guys. After that he took them off, welded all the seams, inner and outer and then will stitch weld them in place as well as weld in rosettes in the open circles. So when the frame stiffeners are off he was going to chop the old ones off and clean them up. Supposed to be done this week.

Post subject: For those looking to do this...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:17 pm 
LOST Addict

If I were to use the stock cross member, I would not get LJ long arms. Get the TJ ones if you planned on doing so. The LJ ones are fine out back, but the front should mount right where the t-case cross member mounts and is a pain to decide and figure how and where to mount them. The LJ ones are longer than the TJ ones obviously so this shouldn't be an issue with the front TJ length arms. Coilover axle mounts are too far inboard for clearance when flexing so they are being moved out another 3/4"-1". The front control arms will clear all the front exhaust/cats though. The front driveline will be darn close, and may not clear. The rear exhaust will be customized from right behind where the two pipes join. Little by little it is getting there, but unfortunately I doubt very much it will be done by this weekend.

Post subject: Re: For those looking to do this...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
If I were to use the stock cross member, I would not get LJ long arms. Get the TJ ones if you planned on doing so. The LJ ones are fine out back, but the front should mount right where the t-case cross member mounts and is a pain to decide and figure how and where to mount them. The LJ ones are longer than the TJ ones obviously so this shouldn't be an issue with the front TJ length arms. Coilover axle mounts are too far inboard for clearance when flexing so they are being moved out another 3/4"-1". The front control arms will clear all the front exhaust/cats though. The front driveline will be darn close, and may not clear. The rear exhaust will be customized from right behind where the two pipes join. Little by little it is getting there, but unfortunately I doubt very much it will be done by this weekend.
The front TJ and LJ long arms are the same length,it's only the rear arms that are different lengths.I'm using the TJ RE long arms and the front arms are located right at my trans/t-case mount,actually made a new custom crossmember to support the trans/t-case and have the front long arms to mount to them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:31 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Inc wrote:
The front TJ and LJ long arms are the same length,it's only the rear arms that are different lengths.I'm using the TJ RE long arms and the front arms are located right at my trans/t-case mount,actually made a new custom crossmember to support the trans/t-case and have the front long arms to mount to them.

i was wondering how those mounts would be 'bolt on'.. my dad's rubicon express kit we had to cut off the stock short arm mounts and then use their brackets, drill though the frame, add a sleeve in the frame.. then bolt them on.. then welded around them. very very good idea using the tranny crossmember as a bolt up mount for long arm mounts. how are they doing yours INC?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

2006 KJ wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Inc wrote:

i was wondering how those mounts would be 'bolt on'.. my dad's rubicon express kit we had to cut off the stock short arm mounts and then use their brackets, drill though the frame, add a sleeve in the frame.. then bolt them on.. then welded around them. very very good idea using the tranny crossmember as a bolt up mount for long arm mounts. how are they doing yours INC?

We are going to cut into the stock crossmember and weld the brackets in. Since the brackets are actually beefier than crossmember, it will end up being stronger. PITA to get right, but it will be nice. So if I need to work on the t-case, then I'll have to unbolt the front long arms, and remove the crossmember which will support the t-case and the cross arms. We are going to plate the unibody, like we did in the rear, so the crossmember will have a stronger place to mount to as well. The unibody will be as strong as a "real" jeep frame is after we are done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

hey inc, are you keeping the T case skid??? or you fabricating sumtin up for it

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 pm 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
hey inc, are you keeping the T case skid??? or you fabricating sumtin up for it

The only skid I kept is the gas tank skid. I sold all the rest. We are designing a skid that covers the entire underbelly of the jeep from the front oil pan, back to just barely behind the t-case crossmember. We need to finish the front end components first to see what we have left for room and go from there for mounting points.

Post subject: Brake Lines
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:53 am 
LOST Addict

Rubicon Express does not make extended brake lines that fit the KJ. We have called them on 3 separate occasions and they thought at first they should, but they do not after digging and digging. So for those looking for extended brake lines, don't get RE ones. We are going to get an adapter to make them work, but avoid the hassle and get KJ specific ones.

Post subject: Re: Brake Lines
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Rubicon Express does not make extended brake lines that fit the KJ. We have called them on 3 separate occasions and they thought at first they should, but they do not after digging and digging. So for those looking for extended brake lines, don't get RE ones. We are going to get an adapter to make them work, but avoid the hassle and get KJ specific ones.
http://www.classictube.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Winch came last night. I'll probably wait to install it until the jeep is back home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:24 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Inc wrote:
Winch came last night. I'll probably wait to install it until the jeep is back home.

how much dose that weigh? the synthetic line make it weigh a lot less than a steel cable?

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I think it is like 69 pounds. The synthetic line does make it lighter, not sure how much though. The synthetic line has quite a few benefits over steel cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Inc wrote:
I think it is like 69 pounds. The synthetic line does make it lighter, not sure how much though. The synthetic line has quite a few benefits over steel cable.

Would you have to keep it covered to keep the constant sun bathing from damaging the synthetic line?

-SR-

Short Term Wish List:
Hitch receiver & wire harness
General Grabber AT2 245/70R16 tires (as soon as the stockers wear out)
DVD player (for Jr.)

Long Term Wish List:
Lift kit (not sure what size yet)
Bigger tires
Front tow hooks
Skid plates
Rock rails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

greatoppressor wrote:
Inc wrote:

Would you have to keep it covered to keep the constant sun bathing from damaging the synthetic line?

-SR-
No,most synthetic lines are UV resistant.They do have a useable life though which is a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

Towards the end when I was buying parts, there was just no way for me to build it and do it right on my own because I just don't have the right tools to make it how I wanted. I'd need a plasma cutter, laser jet, nicer welder, tube bender, and a few other miscellaneous things. Since getting my buddy to build it was cheaper than buying or renting that stuff and doing it myself, I went with him. I wouldn't have had the time either and I would be jeep-less for way too long. A month is bad enough already. I can't wait for it to be done.

Last edited by Inc on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:31 pm 
LOST Addict

They redid the axle mounts for the coilovers. They are as far out as they can be. They are 1/16" away from the WJ disc brakes when the wheels turned to full lock. Any more outboard and they will be in the way of the brakes and get thrashed when turning hard. They are fully boxed in, with skids, and are tied into the mounts for the lower front control arms. They are nice and beefy. Should be getting the measurements for front and rear drivelines today and then the track bar and steering are all that is left really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 am 
LOST Addict

All the pics he sent me today.

The brackets you see in this pic will be welded to the unibody frame of the jeep. The crossmember will bolt in directly over this plate. You may notice that the front long arm mounts are actually backwards, as they face the same direction as the rear bracket mounts, rather than cut the crossmember to get them to fit facing the traditional way, I told Chris to flip them and weld them in that way. They won't be skidded like the rear will but I decided I'd rather lose that option than cut into the crossmember and have a massive piece of steel I'd have to remove in order to work on the t-case. This way the plate and long arm mounts are more solid too than if they bolted up like they would have. I asked him to send me some pics of the coilovers mounted up, not sure if he took any. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Nice. Pretty good idea to be able to use the stock crossmember that way. You pushing the front axle out pretty far then? We have the long arms adjusted all the way in and they mount between the two crossmember bolts (see two zinc clear outer bolts are stock in pic below, inner xmember bolts hidden by arm/mount). I'm guessing if you are using the same arms and with your current arm mount location, your axle will be somewhere around 3" forward of stock? Of course I'm just guessing for the fun of it. I'm all for stretching wheel base. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next