It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BTW, the 864's are the heavier duty version, very high spring rate, so unless you are carrying Lots of weight, the 863's might be a better choice.
I am currently running 863's.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

JJsKJ wrote:
BTW, the 864's are the heavier duty version, very high spring rate, so unless you are carrying Lots of weight, the 863's might be a better choice.

how much lift do you have w/ those springs?? 864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a question Inc...your front coils are 250 and 300s is that fairly soft? I don't know much about all this stuff but 250 and 300 refers to their strength right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:05 am 
LOST Addict

ohv_kj wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

I believe they will give you the same amount of lift as the 863s, but they won't sag, as the 863s do over time. At least I think I remember Seth saying his 863s sagged and so he went to 864s. They will be a stiffer ride, but with the rear swing away and bumper with a hi lift, eventually fuels cans and a 35" spare, I'm glad I went with 864s.

Neatus wrote:
I have a question Inc...your front coils are 250 and 300s is that fairly soft? I don't know much about all this stuff but 250 and 300 refers to their strength right?

Yes the numbers refer to the spring rate. Everyone else is using 500 and 450 spring rates up front but the guy I talked to said he'd go with 250 and 300 for more even up and down travel. I can return or swap the springs out until mid September so I'll test these out and then go from there. Also the guy I talked to has quite a few rigs with coilovers and he runs mostly 150 uppers over 200 lowers. I was at an off road get together yesterday and there was a guy there with a SAS XTerra. He is running 300 over 300 on his 10" coilovers and his rig weighs well over 6,000 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm 
LOST Member

Inc wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

I believe they will give you the same amount of lift as the 863s, but they won't sag, as the 863s do over time. At least I think I remember Seth saying his 863s sagged and so he went to 864s. They will be a stiffer ride, but with the rear swing away and bumper with a hi lift, eventually fuels cans and a 35" spare, I'm glad I went with 864s.

Neatus wrote:

Yes the numbers refer to the spring rate. Everyone else is using 500 and 450 spring rates up front but the guy I talked to said he'd go with 250 and 300 for more even up and down travel. I can return or swap the springs out until mid September so I'll test these out and then go from there. Also the guy I talked to has quite a few rigs with coilovers and he runs mostly 150 uppers over 200 lowers. I was at an off road get together yesterday and there was a guy there with a SAS XTerra. He is running 300 over 300 on his 10" coilovers and his rig weighs well over 6,000 pounds.

So how much do you have with the 864 or 863 coils?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

nosnorb_808 wrote:
Inc wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

Neatus wrote:

So how much do you have with the 864 or 863 coils?

How much lift do I have? I'm not sure yet as they aren't on my jeep, at least not that I know of anyway. The rear lift should be the same as Seth's, Wally's and JJs, so they'd have to answer the lift height. The 863 and 864 numbers are spring part numbers and not coil weight ratings.

I have no idea what the front stock spring ratings are on KJs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Problem is the info for those coils relates to lift height for their application which is a Toyota FJ80 so it is meaningless. based on comparisons to 2.5" lifted KJ's, I'd say I have about 8-9" of lift over a stocker. (IIRC)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I'm confused, you're going pretty soft in the front but then pretty stiff in the back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 pm 
LOST Addict

ecm3667 wrote:
So I'm confused, you're going pretty soft in the front but then pretty stiff in the back?

Soft is really relative. Most guys, 90% run 200 and lighter springs on their rigs. The few SFA KJs are running 450 and 500 on theirs, so I went somewhere in the middle to see if the softer springs make a difference from the stiffer 450 and 500s. I still have until mid September to swap out my coils. I can and will test them out, see if they work and either keep them or swap them out at Summit for free. The rear springs are the stiffer heavier duty OME FJ80 coils. JJ gave me a deal on them so I went with the heavier ones. If I had to buy them new, I probably would have went with the 863s, but the 864s may be a better fit for my KJ with all the gear and stuff I have in/on the rear of my jeep and the eventual stuff I am going to put on it. We'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I've gotten my stuff from all over the place. Everything for the job has been purchased except drivelines, so the wait is over, at least the buying parts wait is over. I have purchased stuff from local friends, my local jeep dealer, Offroad Warehouse, Rubicon Express, Ballistic Fabrication, Clayton Offroad, Summit Racing, Edelbrock, East Coast Gear Supply, Off Road Innovations and even JJ. I think that about covers it.

Last edited by Inc on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

ok cool cool man. I have been finding places to starting price searching and start collecting for the CRD SFA that is coming in soon.

My list is the same as yours in many ways. Just trying to find the right prices now. Trying to get away with having all the parts in for under 3k to 4k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepBumm68 wrote:
ok cool cool man. I have been finding places to starting price searching and start collecting for the CRD SFA that is coming in soon.

My list is the same as yours in many ways. Just trying to find the right prices now. Trying to get away with having all the parts in for under 3k to 4k.

Well, you can cut costs here and there. I got screaming deals on all my RE parts, but if you can have someone make the long arms, and a few other parts that can be relatively cheaply custom made, then you might come in around that figure. I searched and scrounged and found great deals on each and every part I purchased and I came in somewhere around $5400 as someone posted I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 pm 
LOST Addict

So you're doing the rear end first? Everyone else seems to tackle the front first since it will require more work.

Also, is that the RE tri-link kit? Let me know what you think about it when you're done. I've thought about upgrading to it on my LJ instead of the 5 link that's on there now.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 pm 
LOST Addict

chefdab wrote:
So you're doing the rear end first? Everyone else seems to tackle the front first since it will require more work.

Also, is that the RE tri-link kit? Let me know what you think about it when you're done. I've thought about upgrading to it on my LJ instead of the 5 link that's on there now.

The rear was done first because I didn't get my D30 to him yet, but I dropped the jeep off anyway at the start of this week. The rear is easy so he figured he could finish it first anyway. I dropped the front axle off today though.

It is not a Rubicon Express tri-link kit. It is the Rubicon Express arms and a Clayton Off Road rear axle truss, to make a 4-link setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:37 am 
LOST Addict

Since there was question earlier about the sizes of the 35s, I measured them. The Kevlar MT/Rs measure almost exactly 35" and the Maxxis Creepy Crawler spare measures 34 1/4" after I got them all mounted on wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

now did you get new wheels or are you sticking with the cragars?

and those two links on the ground, are those going to attach to a skid plate and then on the front the other 2 of the 4 will attach to that too?

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:51 am 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
now did you get new wheels or are you sticking with the cragars?

and those two links on the ground, are those going to attach to a skid plate and then on the front the other 2 of the 4 will attach to that too?

I forgot to tell everyone about that as well, thanks for the reminder.

I did get new (to me) wheels. I picked up a set of used Mickey Thompson Classic II, a set of 4 for $60. I painted them black as you can see. I kept one of the steelies for my spare. The new tire and wheel setup is only 7 pounds heavier than the old set up and that is going from a 31 to a 35. The wheels are 15x8 with 3.25" backspacing.

As for the links. They will attach to inner frame brackets that I bought from Ballistic Fab. I am having him make a custom belly skid as well though. He will also plate the entire frame rails with some channel steel and then plug weld it as well as stitch weld it to the frame. The channel steel in one of the pics is for mock up only. The final piece will go to the top of the frame rails and will have 45 degree corners instead of the 90 degree that standard channel steel has. On top of that, between the front and rear links, there will be the "frame stiffeners" that I got from Clayton Off Road. That way it strengthens the linkage front to rear as one piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 am 
LOST Junkie

lookin good...get a pic behind the jeep of the width and messure for me the height of the 864 springs when you can...

yeah the rear is much easier and then it's easier to set your ride hieght up front...that's the nice thing about coil-overs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 pm 
LOST Addict

ohv_kj wrote:
lookin good...get a pic behind the jeep of the width and messure for me the height of the 864 springs when you can...

yeah the rear is much easier and then it's easier to set your ride hieght up front...that's the nice thing about coil-overs

I'll get the measurements ASAP. I am out of town right now and will be until next Thursday. The builder is hoping to be done with everything by then and I should be able to get any and all measurements anyone might need.

Last edited by Inc on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next