It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:47 pm 
LOST Addict

hey where did you order your coilovers and did you use just the coil springs. you didnt get any helpers coils, tender, or coupling spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:32 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepBumm68 wrote:
hey where did you order your coilovers and did you use just the coil springs. you didnt get any helpers coils, tender, or coupling spring.

I got my coilover shocks from off road warehouse. I am running an upper and lower spring, no others. The coils are from Summit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I am still out of town, but I was sent these pics. More work has been done than is shown in the pics, but these are the pics he has so far and they were just taken with a cell phone. Better pics this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:17 pm 
LOST Addict

The motor mounts taken off, cut and cleaned up so they look stock. There will also be additional cross member(s) added to the front to strengthen the now cut motor mounts. I am headed to the shop to check it out in person later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 pm 
LOST Addict

A shot of the cardboard mock up of part of the custom frame stiffeners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Inc wrote:
The motor mounts taken off, cut and cleaned up so they look stock. There will also be additional cross member(s) added to the front to strengthen the now cut motor mounts. I am headed to the shop to check it out in person later today.

Sorry, what is that? Will that be the cross member? Are the motor mounts being welded to that?

Sick btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Sport wrote:
Inc wrote:

Sorry, what is that? Will that be the cross member? Are the motor mounts being welded to that?

Sick btw

The object in the picture is a mount for the engine, and was the top part of the cradle for the front suspension and steering. It bolts and unbolts from the front frame rails under the engine bay.

In this picture, they are the top parts of the massive cradle system that holds all those front end components.

So we plasma cut off the bottoms off of these mounts and will reuse them in the stock location to hold the engine. It the pic you asked about, you are looking at the bottom of the mounts.

From the factory, the engine mounts are tack welded in a few places and then stitch welded in a spot or two as well, but they are not welded all the way around. We welded the rest of the seams together for added strength and made the engine mounts a lot stronger than they were. It is a really easy and much cheaper way to go than buying custom replacements for those same parts. Just reuse the parts that are already there and work well, just make them stronger. We will be adding a custom side rail to side rail cross member to replace the side to side rigidity that was lost when the front IFS and steering cradle was cut away though. The metal for the belly skid and the frame stiffening will be here tomorrow I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Coilovers are mounted, just need to be finish welded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I was in the process of getting a Rock Trac transfer case, but that didn't work out as planned so I spent that money on a winch. $663 shipped to my door.

http://www.superwinch.com/EPi9_0S_9_000_lbs.html

Last edited by Inc on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How long are the LJ arms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Neatus wrote:
How long are the LJ arms?

Looks like I have the lower rear set at about 43", the lower front are about 38" but not set yet. The upper rears are about as long as the lowers but they aren't set either. These are adjustable so you can change the wheelbase to your linking. You want at least 1.5" of thread left in the tube when adjusting the long arm end joints out, and I believe mine still have an inch or two more that I can go above that 1.5", but my rear axle is centered and the front is pushed forward slightly I believe which is where I wanted it. Should give me a wheelbase of around 107" I think. I think TJ arms, instead of LJ, would work fine really, but I don't think there is a price difference for going shorter, maybe there is. I think any aftermarket long arms would work, TJ or LJ. If you look at OHV's done pictures of where his long arms sit under his jeep, where they are mounted, you will see his are a little shorter, or mounted a little farther back, than the ones I am using. So it definitely isn't a one size only will work type of thing. You can make it work however you go. More pictures coming tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Last edited by Inc on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:25 am 
LOST Addict

The custom frame stiffeners are done and ready to go on. Should be sitting on its own, new legs tomorrow.

The old control arm mounts for the rear lowers, the ones on the unibody frame rails, are going to be chopped off and cleaned up as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I just left the shop, it looks good. They are fitting the upper rear long arm mounts as I type this for the final test fit and then it will all be finish welded. They hope the front coilover mounts will be done today as well, upper and lower. The truss from Clayton Off Road and the Rubicon Express upper rear arms are not really made for each other. The Rubicon Express upper rear arms are NOT the larger joint ends, like the lower ones, so Chris had to work his magic and welded some great looking and beefy spacers to the inside of the mounts on the truss to fill in the gaps and it turned out awesome. He also had to weld and re-drill the Ballistic Fab upper rear mount frame side brackets because they too were made for the lager end joints. They also turned out perfect. It looks like maybe by next weekend, it will be done. I still need to order drivelines for it and one or two other parts that will put us about a week out I think after this weekend. The rear 4.88s will be going in tomorrow as well. We planned out the skid design we are going to go with after the long arms and axle are finished and it is going to be really nice as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh yeah, here are a few more pics...

For the rear spring perches, we drilled out the welds that held them in and relocated them so that they were centered when we moved the rear axle back. That way they won't tweak the rear springs when flexing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I ordered some 1.5" spacers today as well. That jeep is TALL now and I figured an extra 3" wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by Inc on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:21 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

now, i know this might be a dumb question...but why not :D

when i had my range rover, it had 2 solid axles, so that was a plus to me cause i had no problem with amount of lift i could put on it, the only problem was the steering, i had to extend the link for it to steer properly.

now with the kj, is it the same way with the sfa conversion, if you give it more lift in the future, will you have to increase the link or is there a breaking point for lift? (even tho it wouldnt be practical, just asking)

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:54 am 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
now, i know this might be a dumb question...but why not :D

when i had my range rover, it had 2 solid axles, so that was a plus to me cause i had no problem with amount of lift i could put on it, the only problem was the steering, i had to extend the link for it to steer properly.

now with the kj, is it the same way with the sfa conversion, if you give it more lift in the future, will you have to increase the link or is there a breaking point for lift? (even tho it wouldnt be practical, just asking)

Yes, you'd have to extend the steering if you go higher and higher. I wouldn't go any higher than any one has or is so far though. You can run 37s or 38s with this amount of lift really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I think for now everyone is getting away with stock pitman arms, I think. The front unibody of the KJ does not curve up like the frame of a TJ or other real frame vehicle so even with 8-9" of lift on the KJ there isn't a need for a dropped pitman. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I know I am gonna try a stock one.

Last edited by Inc on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No drop on mine, stock Ford replacement.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next