It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you have to go high on a SFA?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Been watching the SFA action for a while and it seems like all of the rigs I've seen have huge lifts and tires on them. I understand why from a hard core off-road standpoint, but do you have to go high on a SFA conversion? I would like to someday go this route, but would rather just keep my Frankenlift height or a little higher to fit maybe 33's. Is this possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:45 pm 
There is no point in going with less than 33s on an SFA, since you can squeeze a 32" tire under a frankie'd KJ. Why would you spend $10k+ and run a 31" tire?

Anyway...33s are not going to fit your IFS KJ without ripping your fenders off and/or breaking stuff on a regular basis.

Post subject: SFA height
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Point taken, but there is another good reason for the SFA besides tire height, and that is a much stronger and more reliable front end for off-road, so you don't have to worry as much about grenading the front diff on any size tires, but especially the larger ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 pm 
Yes, but if you CAN go to a 33, you might as well.

The KJ's structure up front seems to kind of dictate the height too, so you have room to flex...

It's like the JK guys...you don't see any JKs with 6" lifts and 31s do ya? :lol:

Post subject: SFA height
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Definitely want to go to 33's at least. Your comment on the flex room is what I was after. Wondering if you have to go really high, like 6-8 inches or more to get, say, the flex room of an XJ with a 5 inch lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
There is no point in going with less than 33s on an SFA, since you can squeeze a 32" tire under a frankie'd KJ. Why would you spend $10k+ and run a 31" tire?

Anyway...33s are not going to fit your IFS KJ without ripping your fenders off and/or breaking stuff on a regular basis.

I think you missed what he was asking there bud. :wink:

He's asking if he can get it just high enough to fit 33's but he doesn't really want to go any higher then needed. IRC the SFA has to be higher because of issues with the front end set up. JJ will be here shortly I'm sure but I think it was a minimum of a 5-6" lift to properly set up a SFA.

Tow Hooks ~ HH Rear Hitch
Hella 500's

gwip Design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

wow, you guys type fast! :lol:

Tow Hooks ~ HH Rear Hitch
Hella 500's

gwip Design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

You will have to have such a high lift in order to have enough clearance between the front diff housing and the engine sump.

So then you just may as well fit some 35" tires....

If you want SFA and less lift...think different engine...or buy a GC....or JK.

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In order to fit the steering, trac-bar, springs, shocks, etc into the front end, and have them be able to move upward and function properly, (flex) you have to have what I believe is about an 8" lift over stock. I am looking closely at mine in the near future to determine if I can lower mine Any at all and still have the nice flex I currently have. I suspect the most I can go upward is going to be an inch or so and not sure if it is worth messing with for that little bit.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: Re: SFA height
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

aliastel wrote:
Definitely want to go to 33's at least. Your comment on the flex room is what I was after. Wondering if you have to go really high, like 6-8 inches or more to get, say, the flex room of an XJ with a 5 inch lift.

if you look at the average ZJ, WJ, XJ...to fit 33's you need 6-8 inches with out cutting...so it's does not seem that uncommon for the same height of a liberty...if you want 33 on a kj byt not to worry w/ ifs do the sfa swap if not, you are owning the wrong vehicaL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd like to go up about 4 to 5 inches total and still fit 35's. Like to keep a low cg. :D

I haven't seen anyone cut up the wheel wells yet, but I'm pretty sure thats what it would take. I've seen lots of XJ's cut out for bigger tires. Also saw a extreme trucks episode where they enlarged the front wheel well on a grand cherokee to fit larger tires and were able to make it look very stock.

My KJ is not yet old enough for a nip and a tuck, still have a couple of more payments before I would consider it, but I am considering it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

there is nothing to cut that i haven't already... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
I'd like to go up about 4 to 5 inches total and still fit 35's. Like to keep a low cg. :D

I haven't seen anyone cut up the wheel wells yet, but I'm pretty sure thats what it would take. I've seen lots of XJ's cut out for bigger tires. Also saw a extreme trucks episode where they enlarged the front wheel well on a grand cherokee to fit larger tires and were able to make it look very stock.

My KJ is not yet old enough for a nip and a tuck, still have a couple of more payments before I would consider it, but I am considering it.
RockLizard wants to keep our SFA's at 6" but realistically 7"-8" is needed to fit 35" tires under a KJ,then again if you go with full width axles like we are fitting 35" tires in the wheel wells is much easier with less lift,has to due with geometry or something(which I failed anyway).I'd have to say 7"-8" is the min lift to have room for the SFA and still have any flex.

Now if I would have went with the Ford radius arms like my Axle was ment to use I'd say a SFA could be done with 6" of lift.