It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:11 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Seth: My feedback is that if I was going to do all that to a KJ then it would no longer be a KJ and so why shouldn't I just rade it in for an Unlimited and trick it out? I mean, its a pretty good machine as I've now modified it and there are some advantages to the IFS.

But I did give serious thought to Jedi's $3400 conversion. Seemed like a good deal.

Just my 0, 1, or more cents worth.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Because anyone can take an Unlimited or a Wrangler and mod it up with a million different aftermarket parts.

Forging a new path is 1/2 the fun! (at least for me)

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:04 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Well, Seth wanted feedback, not a debate

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject: Sub Frame
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have been looking for a sub-frame now for about 6 months to mock up a lift for the front. The local "junk" yards around here don't want to be bothered with taking the sub-frame off the Liberty. The factory wants $528 for the frame, which is not bad, but.........that's a lot of money for something you may just cut up.

Just FYI, I was keeping this to myself just in case I wanted to build a SFA,but I like to share. Borgessen (sp) the guys who make the replacement steering colums have, I think it was a bronco II steering box, that would be perfect for the Liberty conversion. The box looks like a standaed saginaw (sp) but has a long down shaft that would extend below the KJ subframe allowing the steering arm to be lower enough to clear the subframe and tie into the tie rods. The have them in stock and should be an easy install.

Let me know if there is place I can get a subframe.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I will make a few calls around here Al and I may be able to get you a subframe. There are a few Jeep junk yards around here that may have something for ya!

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject: Re: Sub Frame
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin Al wrote:
I have been looking for a sub-frame now for about 6 months to mock up a lift for the front. The local "junk" yards around here don't want to be bothered with taking the sub-frame off the Liberty. The factory wants $528 for the frame, which is not bad, but.........that's a lot of money for something you may just cut up.

Just FYI, I was keeping this to myself just in case I wanted to build a SFA,but I like to share. Borgessen (sp) the guys who make the replacement steering colums have, I think it was a bronco II steering box, that would be perfect for the Liberty conversion. The box looks like a standaed saginaw (sp) but has a long down shaft that would extend below the KJ subframe allowing the steering arm to be lower enough to clear the subframe and tie into the tie rods. The have them in stock and should be an easy install.

Let me know if there is place I can get a subframe.

Al

ON that steering gear idea.. I know the one of which you speak. The thing you have to make sure of is that it goes the reverse direction of 99% of the steering boxes out there. There just isn't enough room to run a standard direction steering gear on the KJ because it would have to go clear out under the front bumper to get the pitman arm on it to line up with the drag link on the knuckles. You have to run a reverse one so that you can stick the pitman staight out in front of it.

It is a PITA, it took me a while wo figure mine out, and come to find out, the other two SFA's that I know of came to the exact same solution.

Anyway,
Thanks,
-Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
I'd personally just go for broke and get a King coilover setup.

no point in doin an SFA swap if you're not gonna go whole hog.

What all is involved in this? I have seen the King coilovers on prerunners so it must net A LOT of travel because those guys like rock crawlers live for suspension travel. What would it be like to drive on the street? Who cares. It looks pretty and I want it.

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I was thinking about being able to do some serious upgrades in the spring. If I were going to do an SFA, I would really prefer a bolt-in kit. That way me and a couple of guys could do it over a weekend and nobody would have to have any serious fabbing skills. Also less chance of screwing something up. As for a cost though, I would think, once you add the cost of springs, driveshafts, etc it should total less than 3k.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chefdab wrote:
I was thinking about being able to do some serious upgrades in the spring. If I were going to do an SFA, I would really prefer a bolt-in kit. That way me and a couple of guys could do it over a weekend and nobody would have to have any serious fabbing skills. Also less chance of screwing something up. As for a cost though, I would think, once you add the cost of springs, driveshafts, etc it should total less than 3k.

"Look Kitty I'm skating on a rainbow" as said by Red Foreman on That 70's Show. Thats quite a tall order good luck with that though...

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:36 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

chefdab wrote:

I'm guessing it would be more like 5 K for somthing that would be a bolt up...no fab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:27 pm 
ManicMechanicJoe wrote:

What all is involved in this? I have seen the King coilovers on prerunners so it must net A LOT of travel because those guys like rock crawlers live for suspension travel. What would it be like to drive on the street? Who cares. It looks pretty and I want it.

Not sure..but the shocks *shouldn't* be too tough to deal with. I've never priced 'em out before. Might be one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like a pair designed for the Toyota Tacoma goes for $850 and is available in 8-14 inches of travel.
http://www.aor4x4.com/king.htm

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:27 am 
actually that's not quite as bad as i thought:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:

Oh yeah, I totally agree... mine is not "whole hog" yet, so maybe someday i'll step up and install some coil overs so I could go wheeling....

:-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JediJeeper wrote:
ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:

Oh yeah, I totally agree... mine is not "whole hog" yet, so maybe someday i'll step up and install some coil overs so I could go wheeling....

You can't wheel a KJ! Sheesh! :roll:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
actually that's not quite as bad as i thought:D
I may actually install a set in the rear, seams like you would really increase your travel and height. The adjustability would be awesome and it doesn't look like a lot of mods would need to be done for the rear other then fabbing up some mounts.

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:25 am 
LOST Addict

Lets get the front axle mounts done first. I would be willing to get coil overs after I can run 33's.

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like the 12 inch travel coilovers would fit best with the most amount of travel. An extra four inches of travel would be killer on the trail.

Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 am 
JediJeeper wrote:

pfft, you know what i mean:P we're also not planning on using full width, fullsize front axles, so space is a little more of a concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone thought about adapting the Black Diamond XCL front end to a KJ? Seems like some careful bracket placement on the axle combined with some new upper coil-over mounts attaching to the existing spring buckets, plus a new crossmember might work. Might help reduce cost of producing a kit, also.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next