It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:41 am 
LOST Addict

What do you think i should run with Diesel engine. The thing weights over 200pnds more in the front than you gassers.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

Yikes. I'm not sure to be honest. You are going to need at least the 450 and 550 coils then. I'm obviously no expert since I tried the lighter springs and they didn't work out, so you may have to do some trial and error testing. Start out with at least the 450 and 550 though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

Ok thanks Inc. I understand. I am new to coilovers as well.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

make sure to consider any other weight adding upgrades like steel bumper, winch, etc. so you don't have to change them in the future.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I am considering the front bumpers and rear bumpers. I do know that the front is going to get both a winch and a heavy duty front bumper. So i think going with the 400/550 that you all have gone with is a good way to go. I might up the 450 to 500 for the crd added weight, but i don't think i would have too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepBumm68 wrote:
I am considering the front bumpers and rear bumpers. I do know that the front is going to get both a winch and a heavy duty front bumper. So i think going with the 400/550 that you all have gone with is a good way to go. I might up the 450 to 500 for the crd added weight, but i don't think i would have too.

When I had the 250/350 springs on, I could get the ride height right so the front was level to the rear, but the coils were almost touching because they needed to be compressed so much to get that height. That was with a steel bumper and a winch, both of which are on the light side for a bumper and a winch. Now I am running 450/500 and they are perfect. So if you have 200 more pounds of CRD engine up front and are going to add another 150-200 pounds in a bumper and a winch, you're going to need some heavy spring rated coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok thanks for the info. Should i go higher then on the 400 springs. Maybe do 500/550 or 550/550?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepBumm68 wrote:
Ok thanks for the info. Should i go higher then on the 400 springs. Maybe do 500/550 or 550/550?

I honestly can't say, but if I were you I'd call Quinn at All J's since he apparently has the gas SFA KJ figured out, and see what he says about getting heavier springs for your CRD. They were the ones to figure out that 450/550 worked well on a gas KJ.

(909) 866-4800
Info@boulderbars.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fwiw, all 3 SFA's that ALL J's built had a steel front bumper and winch. Mine and allyrands had the All J bumpers w/ provision for the portable winch and Seths had the ARB w/ winch. The figures they came up w/ were based on those setups which are all fairly similar in weight.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 am 
LOST Addict

Ok i will give him a call when i can. At this time i can swap springs when ever i need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 am 
LOST Addict

Any tips and hints to the tear down process btw. Should i start front or rear first. Right now rear is bolt in and ready to go, with truss already on it. Only thing i need to do to it is the disc brake convo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

JeepBumm68 wrote:
Any tips and hints to the tear down process btw. Should i start front or rear first. Right now rear is bolt in and ready to go, with truss already on it. Only thing i need to do to it is the disc brake convo.

I would start with the front personally. It is the hardest part IMHO, and if you find out this SFA thing is a good bit more involved or more expensive than you planned and have to (not want to) change you mind for now, you wouldn't have already gotten the whole thing near finished already and have a lot of wasted time. If you do start with the rear first, do not cut the rear control arm mounts off until very last, just in case of the same reasons listed that you may run into in the front. I'm not saying you can't do this, but I thought it would be someone easy, considering I'm a seasoned builder, but we have run into a lot of extras we didn't plan on and a bunch of parts and money not expected to get/spend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok thanks a lot Marty. I plan on starting the front then. I have the long arms hopefully. Getting some used XJ ones that are y-linked. I'll rebuild them if need be. we start this saturday so i am gonna be busy trying to get everything all ready to go ha ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Pic's coming soon