It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just getting ideas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 1997 Jeep TJ that doesn't have many stock parts left on it. But I am thinking about changing some of those parts out. And my new bride has a 2005 KJ that she has given me the go a head to do as I want to it.

So here is what I have and am just wondering what you think.
I have a narrow to Waggy width HP44 from a Ford front axle and a 60" WMS to WMS TeraFlex CRD60. Both axles have ARB's & 5.13 gears. I am currently running 38X12.50X16.5 TSL SX tires on HUMMER dual beadlocks.

I am planning on swapping my axles and suspension out on the TJ. I want to stretch the WB a little and also go to UniMog axles.

So I am thinking of putting the axles under the KJ and use the Nth Degree longarms too. So for you guys that have already done your SFA any hints? I will be doing all the work myself but have a pretty complete shop. The only two things I am needing is a plasma cutter and tube bender, which I'll have both by next summer which is when this project would start.

Are the 5.13 gears and 35" tires too low geared for the KJ? I know I will either swap out the T-case for an Atlas or do a doubler using the stock t-case with a D300 behind it.

I see the RL is using coil springs and most everyone else is going coilovers. Inc you said you wished you had gone with 12" instead of 10" CO's. How much taller would that have made you? Can someone please take some better pictures of the upper mounts for the coilovers and RL can I see your buckets for the coil springs? Is there clearance in the engine bay to run the CO's into it and make hoops with a brace over the engine? From what I understand is this, when you take out the sub-frame assy the engine mounts also come out? So you cut them off and then bolt that part back in? How do you support the engine while your doing this? Can I see everyones added crossmembers they added to the front?
What if any swaybar are you running Inc? I see RL is running an Anti-Rock. Why the Ford steering box instead of a Jeep box? Say from a TJ? What WB is everyone running? Inc I think you said your at 107"? Anyone else?

Any and all help or advice is welcomed.
Here is what my TJ looks like right now. It has a swapped in 5.2L Dodge Magnum engine, 44RE 4speed auto, STaK's 3 speed Monster box. You already know the rest. I also have Off-Road Only Air Ride suspension. It uses Firestone air bags to replace the springs and allows you to adjust the ride height by about 10-12". It is great to be able to lower the Jeep down to where it is about the same height as if I was running 32" tires to get into and out of. I ahve a bad leg from being wounded in Iraq in 2004. And then when your sidehilling it you can level it out too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

5.13's would be great, Thats what Troy is running.

It sounds like you don't have a full width front axle so chances are you will need to run CO's as there won't be enough room for coils and shocks on that axle.

If you look at the KJ engine bay, you will see that there is quite a bit of stuff in the way above where CO's would enter the engine bay. The battery and stock air box will be the main ones to relocate. I have contemplated running longer CO's by moving the battery and routing my air intake into the interior but have not gotten around to messing w/ it yet.

I have the Nth setup on mine and if you check out my write-up in here, there are lots of pics of how it went together. Nice part is you can end up w/ a totally flat belly w/ little to nothing to hang up on when playing in the rocks.

Steering box needs to be reverse rotation (IIRC), Jeep boxes won't work.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have read your buildup twice now I think. I would just have to get the subframe plate from AEV/Nth to swap all my parts over to the KJ. The front axle is 62" WMS to WMS so I don't know if that would give enough room for coil springs. Not that there is anything wrong with coilovers was just looking at all my options. Also was wondering if there might be room for a Air Ride setup.

I realize the things that would have to be moved under the hood for taller CO's. Moving the battery wouldn't be too big a deal and using a Cold Air intake would take care of the airbox. Just again looking at all the options. So next question is why is everyone using coils in the rear? Is there clearance issues for using CO's in the rear? And what about swaybars? So far it seems like everyone is using anti-rocks in the front, but what about the rear? Anyone running a swaybar in the rear?

www.4x4nut.com
wildman@4x4nut.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I would have run longer shocks like you said. The coils would look like this:

http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/attachment ... 1253594065

They kind of look funky, but with this setup, the coils don't allow much up-travel and they do allow a ton of down. 300 lowers and 150 uppers on a 14" shock.
Coils in the rear work extremely well and they are so stinking easy it isn't even funny.
I love my 35s and 4.88s and since the KJ is my DD and I do a lot of highway driving, I think 5.13s would have been a bit too deep for me.
The Nth setup is absolutely killer, but pricier than I wanted to go. I am extremely happy with my Rubicon Express arms and custom brackets and mounts. Framing the unibody is an absolute must.
I thought ohv_kj is running a grand cherokee steer box in his, but can't remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I already have the Nth Degree suspension so It isn't any money I haven't already spent. My TJ will be getting a whole new suspension with the Mog axles.

Yes the coils in the rear seem to really work well.

www.4x4nut.com
wildman@4x4nut.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

wildman wrote:
Well I already have the Nth Degree suspension so It isn't any money I haven't already spent. My TJ will be getting a whole new suspension with the Mog axles.

Yes the coils in the rear seem to really work well.

If I already had an Nth degree suspension, I would have used it for sure. They are awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:31 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Well sounds like Troy likes the 5:13s, I have the same gearing going into mine, and the Atlas as well. As for the motor support, Troy built a simple truss to bolt onto the strut tower in the engine bay while we removed the cradle, suspended the motor with straps.
As for the motor mounts, some have cut the factory cradle to only the frame mounts and motor mounts. Marty built new subframe and new mounts.

BTW thanks for your service. And welcome to LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 am 
LOST Addict

i've been watching all the builds closely as i will be doing a SFA to mine sooner or later... the sway bars you keep asking about are normally anti-rock ones routed through the shackle holes in an ARB bumper (i know it has been that way for 3 SFA kj's). i do not know what swaybar JJ is running.. and OHV is running a TJ swaybar and said it works well and was easy to make work.

there was also a picture of a KJ floating around that was SFA with coilovers in the rear.. but it had something like 18 inches of lift and no drive shafts (mall crawler most likely). everyone else has used coils in the rear.

someone also has done the 'hoop' with coil over idea. i believe it was one of the SFA KJ's from Australia. i'm sure if you dig deep enough you can find pictures. he did that for the front and rear i believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:59 am 
LOST Addict

found it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have the Currie Anti-Rock front, nothing rear.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow that is a great looking KJ. I am going to have to look at maybe using longer CO's. I like the ones in the rear other than I'd loose storage space.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I like forums like this that help each other out. I'll make sure to post up what I end up doing. Plus I'll keep asking questions and most likely will be asking for some measurements along the way.

What is the mininum axle width for running coils instead of coil overs?

www.4x4nut.com
wildman@4x4nut.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wildman wrote:

Barely squeaked by with coils on a 67" WMS to WMS HP44 on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:41 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
wildman wrote:

Wow :shock: :shock:

www.4x4nut.com
wildman@4x4nut.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
wildman wrote:

What are the clearance issues? Is it the body? With 67" WMS axle how much do the tires stick out past the body?

www.4x4nut.com
wildman@4x4nut.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wildman wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
wildman wrote:

What are the clearance issues? Is it the body? With 67" WMS axle how much do the tires stick out past the body?
About half of my 35x15.50's stick out from under the front flares with the 67" HP44,15x8 rims with 4" BS.No clearance issues sitting at 10" of lift,it was tight and real fun getting 20lbs of crap in a 10lbs bag but we got it done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just wanted to stop in and say nice TJ :shock: